1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Some subpages got higher pagerank than domain... why?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by YesThatsMe, Dec 6, 2013.

Greetings,

After the pagerank update today I noticed that two of my articles have a PR of 6 and a PR of 5 and I have a massive amount of PR3 and PR2 and PR1 articles as well.

But I wonder about the high PR articles as my main domain just got a PR3. How is this possible when we consider that I have a PR6 article and a PR5 article on my blog?

YesThatsMe, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  2. khemraj

khemraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    PR is page centeric not domain centric. If any of the page of your website is more popular than the index page, then it'll obviously has higher page rank.

khemraj, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  3. YesThatsMe

YesThatsMe Member

Best Answers:
    That is interesting. But then I wonder why the domain PR3 does give the same PR3 to a lot of subpages that don´t even have a single web article pointing to them? It seems that my PR3 flows down to my subpages.

YesThatsMe, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  4. swasa

swasa Member

Best Answers:
    For Inner Pages, You have many links pointing to the site. Get more relevant, quality backlinks to your webpage, so that you can increase the page rank.

swasa, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  5. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes. This is normal... Also, did you use rel="nofollow" tag? If you want to have HIGH PR, don't forget that you should NOT point to any (or at least only to a FEW other) websites. Also, be sure that those subpages ALSO have a backlink to your homepage! ;)

patco, Dec 7, 2013 IP
  6. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your sub pages or other pages of sites have gotten high page rank, because on those pages you have made activities, promotion, content, social media etc.. so it is based on activities.

I was afraid of penalization, so I stopped building links on home page..... in recent page rank update, my home page pr is zero, while other pages and posts have gotten some page ranks.. it is due to promotion I made to promote those pages.

alex06295, Dec 8, 2013 IP
  7. YesThatsMe

YesThatsMe Member

Best Answers:
    No, links from my articles are usually dofollow. And on the sidewide widget area, there are no outbound links but only internal links. I have 87% preserved PR flow on my side according to seo doctor.

One further question here related to your last sentence... do you mean that I can lead some PR to the main domain if I link my high PR articles to the domain?

That should be the case for many of my PR3 articles... but the high PR 5 and 6 articles, they got it because of a huge news magazines with even higher PR linked... they linked to my articles.

But you might be right for the PR3 articles... there are some, I simply cant understand why they got any PR over 0 as they have no backlinks pointing to them.

YesThatsMe, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  8. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If your inner pages have higher PageRank (not SERPs) than the home page, it's because you have more high-quality links pointing to those inner pages. PR is a function of links.

Jim4767, Dec 10, 2013 IP
    YesThatsMe, PhilipSEO and ryan_uk like this.
  9. PhilipSEO

PhilipSEO Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Finally a clear and correct response among a lot of gibberish. :)

And of course, the classic example of this is Matt Cutts:
    http://www.mattcutts.com/ PR5
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ PR6

PhilipSEO, Dec 11, 2013 IP
    YesThatsMe likes this.
  10. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Page Rank is calculated on the value of incoming links to the URL; amount of traffic and content does not factor into this calculation. So there must be more 'quality' websites that are linking to your sub domain than your main domain.

If you have Google webmaster tools set up on the main domain and on the sub domain you can see a selection of the backlinks Google is seeing for each domain. Looking thought these you might be able to get a better understanding on who is linking your site.

John Dave, Dec 12, 2013 IP
  11. YesThatsMe

YesThatsMe Member

Best Answers:
    I thank you all very much and sorry for the late reply... I was ill last days and bed-ridden. But I am ok now and happy to read so much input on my questions.

There is only one question left. Would it make sense to redirect the pagerank to the domain and would it be generally possible if I place a link to the main domain on the PR5 and 6 article? Or does it make no sense and should I just be happy that some of my articles got attention from high quality websites? I mean I would not feel better if my domain would have a higher PR than 3, but I wonder if it could have positive impact on the whole domain if I would redirect some PR to the domain with a link from the high PR articles. I have 60k monthly unique views (rising over time with more articles) and that makes me already happy, but I wonder if a higher PR on the domain would have further impact?

YesThatsMe, Dec 13, 2013 IP