1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why you make directory!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by nonar, Dec 6, 2013.

Why you make directory!
    What is the best directory to run now.

nonar, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  2. suwandichen13

suwandichen13 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ah, you're nonar.com owner. lol.
    Nothing special about making Directory.
    If you asking me , I make Directory becoz i can make a little cash & also support my other site to get link. just it. ^.^

suwandichen13, Dec 9, 2013 IP
  3. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why did you make your directory?

Nima, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  4. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    It was that time 2005. I never know any thing about directories, sitting with some one who run some directories.
    I said I will make directory, they laugh at me since I know nothing about the domain names , links, Internet.
    I asked how to start so they told and started in Nonar with all the errors can rise in the website.
    But I did it and approve to my self and the others I can do it. What ever you face don't give up. So went in this topic up to now.

nonar, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  5. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice. Did you have a business plan behind it too? Is it still a hobby for you?

Nima, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  6. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I enjoy it in part of it, as a business yes.
    For this time its my business. Internet activities are open deep sea more you seals more you dive and discover channels that take you on.

nonar, Dec 10, 2013 IP
  7. Thanoz

Thanoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is not to make "yet another directory". I can't think of a single reason to build a directory now, since you can hardly earn your hosting fees. PR is dead(for most professionals) and the one advantage directories ahd was to get a high PR backlink. If you have a niche specific idea, e.g. a local directory strictly for professionals (i don't know, plumbers maybe? or law firms) you could have a chance to succeed. Otherwise, don't waste your money. I know i sound pessimistic, but that;s the truth! I mean, how many directories pop out everyday? Hundreds?
    Even article directories are millions at the moments!

Thanoz, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  8. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    ( I can't think of a single reason to build a directory now )
    Do you think only directories face the issue now! No. All and PR is not dead many sites lost the PR and many gains even directories.

nonar, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  9. Thanoz

Thanoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah nonar, i agree many websites/scripts/companies with the "sudden death" of the Pagerank lost their value. I just referred to directories in specific, because this is the subject we are talking about! Didn't want to go Off-Topic, that's all!

Thanoz, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  10. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    ( Didn't want to go Off-Topic, that's all!)
    Sure for that but directories ( quality ones ) not waste of time and money it worth if you do your best for it.
    What kind of directory to run that's other point.

nonar, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  11. Thanoz

Thanoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, i mentioned an example of what could be a successful directory, a regional, niche oriented, and if possible with little competitors.
    An example would be a directory for New York Law firms, divided by area.
    Now, this doesn't mean it is a success itself. Providing, google maps addon to locate the firm, adress,phone numbers and all sorts of contact details, a nice theme, even an online enquiry or something are some of the key features that will help you.

Thanoz, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  12. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your example is a nice idea but do you think niche ones will cover all the need of the internet users!
    Directory have to be database for quality collective information that's will next generation solutions to face the challenges.

nonar, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  13. Thanoz

Thanoz Active Member

Best Answers:
    A general directory is like a vast amount of bad-stored merchandise.
    There are millions of general directories that have categories for banana merchants to chemists. Bad idea! There is no way to rank better because you have endless categories, there is no way a serious bussinessman to pay for a link next to the banana merchant and the lawyer.
    Niche specific means understanding what the client, the visitor aims for and give it to him. Going in general with endless categories, means going hunting and shooting around random bullets just in case you hit something. On the other hand, niche specific means having a dog that can smell the rabbit, know where the rabbits nest is and aim for it. Sorry if my example is insulting, no animals were meant to be hurt by my post!

Thanoz, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  14. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    nonar, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  15. Nima

Nima Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's not true. Those thousands of spammers who came to build crappy directories (and made a bad name for the directory business) thought of directories as only a source of link juice.

Directories are much more than that. There are hundreds of extremely profitable directories out there right now. Angie's List, Lawyers.com, Yelp, etc. Even if you don't have the commitment to build a business like that, there are smaller directories (that are still very profitable): BOTW, DirectoryJournal, JoeAnt, DirectoryMix, ....

Nima, Dec 11, 2013 IP
  16. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whether you run small or big business it has to be profitable for you and the other party, directories one of this business.
    Hardware, Software, and many examples companies took the challenge and stand on the market. Directories can do it and
    hold it more. I believe on it.

nonar, Dec 11, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  17. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    not everyone made a directory just game Page rank.however it is refreshing to see that many of the people who did use this strategy are leaving the directory industry. That leaves the more serious directory owners who have a passion for making a directory in the first place.

dvduval, Dec 11, 2013 IP
    Nima likes this.
  18. nonar

nonar Active Member

Best Answers:
    The ( game Page rank ) It can work for some times but not for ever, quality content supported with backlinks will save the directory.
    If its made only for the PR no way to stay. It will go!

nonar, Dec 11, 2013 IP