1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. EngineerofSuccess

EngineerofSuccess Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

If that's what you feel about speech recognition software, there's nothing I can say to change your mind. The reply you are reading right now is produced by my mouth using speech recognition software. I didn't type any of this that you're reading right now. Just think of how your mouth plus speech recognition software can potentially boost your search engine rankings-SEO and give you a piece of mind when creating content from scratch. Hands-free, that is.

EngineerofSuccess, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  2. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mind sharing the program's name? Does it have a free version? Is it a Win or Mac program?

Vlasic, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  3. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    Gladly, gladly. Here is the link to "speech recognition." Basically, this voice recognition software allows you to use the power of your voice to create content, whether it be in the form of e-mails, tweeting on twitter, posting to Facebook with your voice, writing college term papers, articles to be submitted to article directories, used for press release writing and optimization, creating PDF e-books, and legal documents. It does a whole lot more, but the features are too much to mention in this reply. I'm using version 11.5 right now and it works great for me. When you click the link, it'll take you to the online store where you'll see the newest version which is version 12 premium. The 11.5 right now that I have is premium version and version 12 is the update to 11.5. Take it from me when I say it is worth every dime dollar and cent spent on. If you have any more questions, please let me know and I can post a response for you on the site and let you know more about this amazing software.

EngineerofSuccess, Nov 19, 2013 IP
    Vlasic likes this.
  4. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you! I review software for a large directory, so I will add the program to my suggestions list. Does it have a trial version? Even though it is already on my wishlist:p, I cannot commit just yet.

Vlasic, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  5. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    To be honest, I'm not quite sure if the software has a trial version. I think it's one of those cases where as you purchased the software and if you're not happy with it you can send it back to the company for full refund, minus the shipping charges. What you can do is after you click the link on that speech recognition hyperlink and it takes you to the company page where you see Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12, send an e-mail to customer service and ask them if they have an online trial version. Most likely they probably don't, but it's well worth giving it a shot and seeing what they have to say.

EngineerofSuccess, Nov 20, 2013 IP
  6. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you! That's what we usually do. Sometimes, large companies like Intuit would offer a courtesy premium Quickbooks. Sometimes, developers won't even respond, but as you said, it is well worth a shot.

Vlasic, Nov 20, 2013 IP
    EngineerofSuccess likes this.
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    There are many interesting technologies being developed as has been discussed in the last few posts. But nothing can replace the written word, the word that has been composed with feeling, emotion and passion. And if a software merely mimics and copies, then I fail to comprehend how it would produce the motivation to write.
    I think after reading all the above few posts on this software, we are back to square one. So....any *helpful* tips on how to write when not in the mood?

Spoiltdiva, Dec 3, 2013 IP
  8. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    speech recognition basically allows your voice to express your emotion by way of speaking while your computer types the words. It helps you to save your fingers from possibly feeling carpal tunnel syndrome later on in life from typing excessively worn your computer keyboard. Through voice "our mouth," we are able to naturally express human emotion whether it be verbally in a direct off-line conversation or through speaking context as the words appear on the computer screen "as forementioned." Speech recognition motivates people to write more simply off of the strength of they don't have to manually type and expel extra energy doing so. It also motivates them to create content whether it be in forum discussion threads, articles, blog posts, press releases or more lengthy YouTube video descriptions more often versus the traditional way of doing things. However, I do understand where you're coming from. :)

EngineerofSuccess, Dec 3, 2013 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Now here you have made a valid point. At the very least you have tweeked my interest. I might at some point in time, look into this.

Spoiltdiva, Dec 3, 2013 IP
  10. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    I must admit the carpal syndrome is not the only thing that can undermine one's productivity, not to mention the writing mood. There is also eye strain and Repetitive Strain Injury. I gave the speech recognition a try. It takes time to master, so in the beginning it does not produce the quality equal to that of a written word. However, it gives room for growth, learning and optimizing. Currently, it takes me twice as less time to write a piece with the help of speech recognition, but twice as much time to proofread it mainly because I am new to it, and I need to spend some time tweaking and adjusting my program to understand me better. Nevertheless, I would estimate its recognition level as high as 95%. The downside is the price tag; the advantage is that my shoulders do not burn as hell anymore.

Vlasic, Dec 3, 2013 IP
  11. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    Owning such a program is a great time-saver and gives a piece of mind, when writing content using the awesome power of your voice. Look more into it for yourself and find out. :)

EngineerofSuccess, Dec 4, 2013 IP
    While a speech recognition software might help in some cases, it certainly isn't for everyone. I know people who are awfully incoherent babblers, but are very capable when it comes to writing. Personally, this is the reason why I prefer e-mail correspondence over VOIP or face-to-face meetings--I am just really terrible at spontaneously coming up with good ideas. I often find myself being haunted by l'esprit de l'escalier. And if you're really not in the mood, or are out of ideas, no software will help.

When I encounter a "block," reading other awesome things and taking notes is what usually clears up the clogs. And I don't mean researching my current topic and jotting down the necessary info. Reading an unrelated but well-crafted piece and writing down passages that I find exemplary helps me move along. This practice achieves two things: it reminds me that I still need to improve my writing, and it gives me ideas on how I could do so.

Perhaps the weirdest moment I could remember is when I was tasked to write about smart TVs, got stuck because smart TVs are effing boring, and found this article about a sled dog race: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9175394/out-great-alone. The resulting smart TV write-ups are nowhere near the quality of that article (of course); but man, that article made me want to write the best write-up about smart TVs.

So I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes, the best way to counter a writer's block/mood swing is not through forcing yourself to write but to actually slow down, and read. Read something that you enjoy, something good, something that makes you feel goddamn envious, something that makes you go: I wish I could write like that.

Turn that envy into anxiety, and that anxiety into pride (realize that hey, I COULD write like that if I want to). When talking with my writer-friends, I find that many of them stop at this stage. Don't. Turn that pride into excitement, and channel that excitement into productivity. Et voila, soon you'll be producing articles/stories/write-ups, hopefully better ones.

monsoondreams, Dec 4, 2013 IP
    mmerlinn, ATMD, gambler53 and 2 others like this.
  13. BigTeddyBigDeals

BigTeddyBigDeals Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I find that writing when I'm in a bad mood is a futile and depressing task. Writing is just like any other professional craft, it's almost borderline impossible to consistently perform at the top of your game. It would be like Lebron James scoring 60 points every night in the NBA. Everyone has ups and downs in their performance, and unfortunately writing isn't something you can do if you're off your game. I think writers are too hard on themselves most of the time.

BigTeddyBigDeals, Dec 5, 2013 IP
    Conran likes this.
  14. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    Okay dokay now. I see you wrote a nice dissertation about your feelings pertaining to speech recognition programs. This paper deserves an A+. :)

EngineerofSuccess, Dec 5, 2013 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Isn't that the truth? I was never been able to cut myself any slack at all when I was a full time writer.

@monsoondreams
    Very good post with lots of valuable input. Turning anxiety into pride is metamorphosing a negative into a positive.

Spoiltdiva, Dec 5, 2013 IP
  16. dojodesign

dojodesign Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, when you HAVE to work, you will work as a creative, even if you don't feel like it. I usually like to do as much work I can when I feel like doing it and, when I'd rather relax, at least I'm not going over the deadlines. When it comes to my blogs, I schedule posts and am covered in the days when I don't have ideas or don't like to write.

dojodesign, Dec 5, 2013 IP
    FoxIX, Conran and EngineerofSuccess like this.
  17. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    scheduling your blog posts to automatically post themselves at specific times throughout the day is definitely a good thing. Speaking on my behalf, I don't always like writing content every day as there are days I have to mentally take a chill pill from everything I'm doing. So I definitely understand where you're coming from with that. :)

EngineerofSuccess, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  18. EngineerofSuccess

Best Answers:
    I couldn't agree with you more. :)

EngineerofSuccess, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  19. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    When we HAVE to work we are not as creative as when we WANT to work. This thread is about how to find helpful tips on how to be better at the former.
    I am quite pleased at some of the "creative" ideas that some of the posters have left here for us to read.

Spoiltdiva, Dec 6, 2013 IP
  20. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree that there will be days when creativity doesn't come easy, and the scheduling of posts for publication is one of the things I do if it's possible. Because of the nature of my business, it can be difficult to achieve given that many clients want the very latest content on their sites. I can't create a post on a Wednesday for publication on the weekend because I know that on Friday there will be a new release and this is what the client would prefer.

I'm lucky in some respects because I also work for some of the studios, so I can get an early look at future releases occasionally and create that content for a client before any other affiliate has even seen a teaser image.

Also, I have found that if I'm in a poor mood, unimaginative and humorless, I can go to YouTube and watch a few videos (Daily Grace is a favorite of mine) and I'm suddenly in a better mood.

Conran, Dec 7, 2013 IP