1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I Quit And Now I'm Back With Two Tips If You Are Starting An Online Business

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by benny taylor, Dec 1, 2013.

This is pretty embarrassing, I have been lurking around this forum and other IM forums since 2004, and now almost ten years later I am finally earning an online income. I remember when I first started reading about marketing online, everything was so fascinating and the hardest thing to do was focus on one thing. This lack of focus basically is one of the things that eventually made me leave it all behind and quit taking action. I say quit taking action because I have continued to lurk on the forums for years.

I want to share 2 things that have helped me make a come back and start taking action in the past couple of months.

1) Focus on one thing first:
    This probably sounds like beating a dead horse but it is so true. I don't want to set any rules and I know that many people advise on how you should focus on selling your own product, that's fine. However, I personally think that it is very important that you learn how to market online effectively first.

Learn how to build a list, copyrighting techniques, building a squeeze page, and starting as an affiliate is a great way to do this. One of two things can happen, you can become really good at marketing other people's products and make a nice living from it, or you can choose to create your own product later. The point is to start with one thing and become good at it.

You can have the best product in the world but it doesn't matter if you don't know how to market. You may decide to focus on providing a service or writing articles, but give it some time before deciding that you need to jump to something else. And be honest with yourself, don't say that you have done the best you can when things start getting difficult if you really haven't. Once you grasp one thing and are having success with it, by all means go ahead and try something else that will complement what you are doing.

2) Take action and don't be over analytical
    It's okay to measure risk, but once you do that go ahead and take the risk. Do some research, read reviews, do whatever you have to do, but don't be afraid to stumble. This is probably even more important than my first point. Imagine this, I have been on the fence lurking IM forums since 2004 without taking any action. If you quit in the past or let me say better, took a break, and you really have a strong desire to market online and have had a chance to reflect on your past mistakes, make the come back. I am much better at picking and weeding out things now, than I was in the past.

That's it. These are the two things that I did not apply in the past, but I would love to hear what others can add to this list to help out the newbies.

benny taylor, Dec 1, 2013 IP
    nhed likes this.
  2. pearllike

pearllike Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey Benny,

You have shared 2 very essential and good points to consider before starting an online business. When you start your own business then you have to be strong enough to take the risk. Mistakes and defeats always taught a lot and make one expert.

I want to add a point here which I think should be entertained while doing online business:

Customer Feedback:

This is the best way about knowing the flaws in your marketing strategy. Human beings are bad at searching their own fault but have great quest to know others fault. Thus taking the feedback from your customer/client definitely help you to improve your business and your marketing strategy.

pearllike, Dec 2, 2013 IP
  3. ChrisBa

ChrisBa Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good tips, I really like to emphasis the take action one, too many people spend way too much time overthinking things instead of diving in

ChrisBa, Dec 2, 2013 IP
  4. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree - You must take action to be a success

DEBooks, Dec 2, 2013 IP
  5. Constantinople

Constantinople Peon

Best Answers:
    Analysis is ONLY useful if it brings you to an action.

Constantinople, Dec 2, 2013 IP
  6. Eyram Hlortsi

Eyram Hlortsi Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Focus is key. Once you have decided on the one way to go, keep at it. Remember to measure your results. This will tell you whether what you are doing is worth it or not.

Eyram Hlortsi, Dec 2, 2013 IP
  7. AdMarketeers

AdMarketeers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very interesting tips, both of these are essential for almost any business, not just online.

AdMarketeers, Dec 3, 2013 IP