1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does duplicate content within own site affect SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Rakesh Nijhawan, Nov 25, 2013.

Hi,
    I want to know does duplicate content within own site affect SEO. For example i am working on a client site which address is this http://www.chummuch.com/restaurants-in-delhi, so i want to know if i seperate the delhi location in area wise like chummuch.com/restaurants-in-delhi/pitampura so this can result in duplicate or not because content of pitampura is taken from chummuch.com/restaurants-in-delhi.

Rakesh Nijhawan, Nov 25, 2013 IP
  2. V_RocKs

V_RocKs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From my own experience I have found that duplicate content didn't have an effect on my SEO traffic, but it did, however, get traffic sent to pages I would have preferred they didn't come in on.

Lets say I have a food site and the recipes are all duplicate content scattered across single pages, the index page (if they are currently featured), category pages, tag pages, archive pages, etc...

Google might decide to send a visitor looking for "vegan eggnog" to my archive page. It won't have other vegan recipes on it. It also won't link to other featured vegan recipes. In this case I would have rather they come to the single page for the recipe or to a category page for vegan holiday recipes so that their time on page, bounce rates and number of pages viewed would score better.

V_RocKs, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  3. Rakesh Nijhawan

Rakesh Nijhawan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    V_Rocks
    Actually my case is different because i have same content within my site, but different urls and titles so can this be resulted in duplicate content.

For more details you can see my question above and started thread.

Rakesh Nijhawan, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  4. V_RocKs

V_RocKs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Those two pages would share duplicate content according to Google's bot. Which page shows up in the search can depend on various factors though. For instance, if someone searches for a long tail term it might show one page over the other based on words on either page matching better to the long tail term used.

However, the amount of content is negligible. Notice this Yelp search:
    http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=indian+food&find_loc=La+Crescenta+Montrose%2C+CA&ns=1
    http://prntscr.com/26pspb

It has varying levels of duplicate content. But it uses excerpts and only gives a partial amount of information on the results page so that it avoids having redundant content. In reality redundant content is what Google is hoping to avoid. Why show 5 sites and/or pages as the top 5 results to a search if they all have redundant content? Meaning, the same information rehashed to look different, but in reality doesn't give any new information.

This is why sites that accept user reviews like Yelp and Amazon have systems in place to move users with a unique way of writing informative reviews to the top of their results. That way they get different content that isn't redundant like small reviews like this one: "Clean place with good curry. You will love it."

What you could use a lot more of is content. Actual content. Not just numbers and figures, but descriptions and reviews. I can foresee your site becoming quite popular with Google if you could get readers to signup and participate. Which is why Google likes Yelp, Pintrest, etc...

V_RocKs, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  5. Rakesh Nijhawan

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    V_Rocks
    As many portal sites like grotal also doing the same thing as we did so can it be bad for our site and i also want to know that if i have only 20 restaurants in our city listing than if we divide these 20 restaurants in to 4 different titles like if we have 20 restaurants in chandigarh and our title is restaurants in chandigarh now if we divide these 20 restaurants by having titles like
    chinese restaurants in chandigarh = 5
    non veg restaurants in chandigarh = 7
    veg restaurants in chandigarh =8
    means out of above 20 restaurants we insert 5 restaurants in chinese 7 restaurants in non veg and 8 in veg so my question is can i do like that or not and will it affect my seo and my client adsense accout or not.

6. Arpit Agarwal

Arpit Agarwal Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Rakesh,

It won't affect your site because you are just providing the information related to restaurant location that's all. Except that if you provide long information with lengthy content same on two different pages , than it surely hurt your site.

Thanks

Arpit Agarwal, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  7. Rakesh Nijhawan

Best Answers:
    Hi, Arpit

I also want to know that can it be duplicate for google adsense or not because duplicate content is not allowed in google adsense.

Regards
    Rakesh

8. shelby78

shelby78 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Having on-site duplicate content will definitely have an effect on your site's SEO. Especially if they're spattered with links and over optimized with keywords - than you can expect penalties. In most cases, the original would be considered more relevant and indexed, while the later "duplicate" version would simply be omitted from the results. So, the question you would want to ask yourself, is why you'd want to have duplicate content on your site when ultimately only the original would be indexed and searchable? You could always take the time to re-write the content to avoid this altogether.

shelby78, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  9. Arpit Agarwal

Arpit Agarwal Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Rakesh,

Yes it will definitely count as duplicate in adsense also.

Thanks

Arpit Agarwal, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  10. Abu Rayhan

Abu Rayhan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Definitely! You should not use your same content in several pages. This may get listed as duplicate for not showing in search.

Abu Rayhan, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  11. swasa

swasa Member

Best Answers:
    Hi, Make Sure that all your pages have unique content , & do not have the same content for the two pages within the site. Duplicate content makes you penalize your site & does it affect the ranking.

swasa, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  12. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I definitely affects SEO !!

John Dave, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  13. Rakesh Nijhawan

Best Answers:
    I know all pages in your site must have unique content otherwise your ranking suffers, but my question is different as you can see the thread question above. So please try to give answers which are relevant to my query because i am also from SEO field and knows everything about seo.

Rakesh Nijhawan, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  14. Arpit Agarwal

Arpit Agarwal Member

Best Answers:
    Hello Rakesh,

We all have suggested you answers according to your question. If you have any more query, please read Google Guidelines.

Thanks

Arpit Agarwal, Nov 27, 2013 IP
  15. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    well yes, it can result in duplicate because what you are doing is creating two pages and putting the content of http://www.chummuch.com/restaurants-in-delhi, to chummuch.com/restaurants-in-delhi. so when google crawler crawls, i will looks two different pages having same content. I would rather prefer you to use method something like iFrame. I hope you know about iFrame if not then feel free to ask me ! Now i guess i have answered your question correctly !! :)

John Dave, Nov 28, 2013 IP
  16. Rakesh Nijhawan

Best Answers:
    No john my question is if we have 100 restaurants in particular city like title is restaurants in delhi and url is abc.com/restaurants-in-delhi now if refine the delhi restaurants sector wise like title is restaurants in sector-17 delhi and url is abc.com/restaurants-in-delhi/sec-17 and question is refining the data sector wise is considered duplicate because abc.com/restaurants-in-delhi/sec-17 is refined from abc.com/restaurants-in-delhi

Rakesh Nijhawan, Nov 28, 2013 IP
  17. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will answer all your questions but first could you please tell me If a person falls from 1st floor and at the same time if a person falls from 4th floor. Tell me the differences in their screaming ? :D

John Dave, Nov 29, 2013 IP
  18. healthretreat

healthretreat Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Duplicate content in self site affect SEO process...

healthretreat, Nov 29, 2013 IP
  19. Rakesh Nijhawan

Best Answers:
    all the portal sites are doing like that even grotal and zomato too and adsense is running on that sites too if doing these things are duplicate than why not adsense is banned from these sites.

Rakesh Nijhawan, Nov 29, 2013 IP
  20. John Dave

John Dave Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is because they are using the concept of iFrame (I have already tried to explain it to you in my previous post).

John Dave, Nov 29, 2013 IP