1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Making HTML Code and CSS responsive is todays users demand?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by vaxs143, Nov 23, 2013.

One of the customer asks me that you need to have a responsiveness in your website so that users can open your website on any device.

I have searched on internet and also find out google and SERP also gives importance to the websites that are responsive in nature...

Could you tell me whether it will be helpful to me or not...

Please click here to view my website to give me appropriate solution.

vaxs143, Nov 23, 2013 IP
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You have answered your own question (or rather, the customer did):

"One of the customer asks me that you need to have a responsiveness in your website so that users can open your website on any device."

Quite clearly, it is helpful.

So, search in Google (or whatever search engine you prefer) for:

responsive web design​

And you will find a lot of tutorials about how to do it.

ryan_uk, Nov 23, 2013 IP
  3. Strider64

Strider64 Member

Best Answers:
    Strider64, Nov 23, 2013 IP
  4. OaldDesign

OaldDesign Active Member

Best Answers:
    First the link to your website not working, by any device i guess you mean by smart phones.
    Yes now days you have to get your website to work well on smart phones on one of my site about 30% of the views are from smart phones.
    So answering you question i see that i need to change me website as well to fit smart phone well.

If what you asking is how to get your site to work well on smart phone that is a different question there are more then one method try lynda.com they have a lot of great screenshot tut that would teach you how to adjust you site to phones.
    One of the methods i know is to use 2 css files and with javascript you see when the browser resolution is lower then resolution you provide it would change the css file to the smart phone css. I would not use that method but that is one thing to think about.

OaldDesign, Nov 25, 2013 IP
  5. pearllike

pearllike Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, definitely it will be helpful.
    There is a large number of visitors who access the internet through smart phones, iPhones and tablets so if your website is not compatible to those device you might loose the customer.
    To get success in your business you have to walk along with the technology.
    Almost every website is responsive so that it can be opened properly irrespective to the browser. And I would suggest you to think about switching on a responsive website.
    Please share your website link as the given above is not working. I would like to give you solutions for your existing website to make it responsive.

pearllike, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  6. Millionclarke.com

Millionclarke.com Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Having a responsive website is not mandatory however or Internet marketing, SEM, web design and e-commerce consulting experts would advise you if it is in your budget make investment.

It's true that responsive site will adapt the design to the device a user has. But what a responsive web design also does, it allows you to control the look and feel of your brand. Developing a responsive site in the initial stages of designing your website is more cost-effective than redesigning a separate mobile website.

One reason advise my clients to go with the two responsive design is because you only have to update one platform when making changes to your website. If you have one site for web computer users in one for mobile uses you have to make to updates each time you like to make changes to the website.

So my advice is a responsive site saves you in the long run

Millionclarke.com, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  7. gregdbowen`

gregdbowen` Member

Best Answers:
    Responsive sites are essential. Building a responsive site is much faster than converting a non-responsive site.

gregdbowen`, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  8. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Responsive layout isn't just important, it plays to the ENTIRE REASON HTML EVEN EXISTS!!!

Now, I know what a lot of folks are thinking, how can a layout technology done with recent additions to the CSS specification have anything to do with why HTML exists; that's simple -- it is simply the next logical step in why Tim Berners-Lee created HTML: Device Neutrality.

The whole reason HTML came into being was that at the time there were a whole bunch of different computers and methods of showing information to users, and there was a need for a single format where you could say what things ARE or how they MIGHT look 'professionally written', then allow a 'user agent' (aka browser) to decide how best to show that content within the capabilities of that device. That is why we HAVE semantic markup in the first place! A lowest common denominator where none of the tags you use say what things actually look like, just what they MIGHT look like. It's why for a decade and a half we've been told to do things like semantic markup, separation of presentation from content, etc, etc...

We got away from that intent during the browser wars, and a lot of people sleazing out PSD's or crapping out HTML 3.2 with 4 tranny mounting it from behind or 5 lip-service wrapped around it are stuck in a presentational manner of thinking -- many developers and the vast majority of tutorials having their craniums wedged so far up 1997's rectum it will take an orthodontist to handle the extraction -- well... those folks just don't get it, won't get it, and refuse to get it coming up with lame excuses to justify their halfwit, broken, buggy inaccessible train wrecks.

CSS was invented so that in user agents that support it people could add all the styling they want for user-agents and devices that support it, WITHOUT crapping all over the markup with presentational crap that might not even be applicable to all targets. That way the important part -- the DATA can be customized for multiple targets -- be it screen, projection, handheld, print, etc, etc!!!

"responsive" layout simply expands upon media types (that most people ignore/misuse) giving us further tools to make our pages be, to borrow from Bruce Lee, "Like water" -- adjusting to whatever container you pour them into.

IF as a site developer you've been following all the good practices we've been told since 1998 to do like separation of presentation from content, "progressive enhancement" so the page "gracefully degrades", following accessibility guidelines so you have fluid or semi-fluid layout, elastic layout, dynamic fonts -- then responsive layout is simply the next logical step and should require little to no extra effort.

IF however you've been sleazing out HTML 3.2 slapping 4 tranny or 5 lip-service on it, crapping out presentational markup with endless pointless style attributes, extra DIV for nothing, classes for nothing, fixed width layouts with px metric fonts -- then I might as well be talking an alien language. ... and not Klingon since most such pathetic losers actually know that one, but still can't get HTML right!

See the sleazeball shits who spank it on the screen in Photoshop and have the cojónes to call themselves "designers" when they only know enough about HTML, CSS or accessibility to design two things; and Jack left town. -- See the "nube predator" scum who tell you there's nothing wrong with fixed width layouts or putting the content into layout elements (like fixed height, perfect width) that have no business on websites in the first place. See the ignorant morons who use px fonts on everything. See the halfwit wankers who wouldn't know semantic markup if it stripped naked, painted itself purple and hopped up on a table to sing "oh look at what a well formed document I am!"

Ignoring accessibility, and auto-adjusting to the capabilities of the user agent is effectively ignoring the entire reason we even HAVE HTML in the first place -- anyone telling you otherwise needs a double-barrelled helping of STFU.

... and that goes double for people telling you it should "cost more" or "take extra effort", as that's usually a pretty good indicator they don't know enough about building websites to be opening their gonif yaps!

NOT that there's any real point to even TRYING to build websites properly anymore, since the 'sleaze it out any old way, who cares if it's actually useful to users' shlemiels have taken over the industry with broken halfwit practices like crapping out PSD's before you have semantic markup or working layout, crapping out markup and CSS any old way JUST for a single screen layout and to hell with anything else, loading up on hundreds of K of javascript and dumbass ignorant library bullshit to deliver single digit K of content, and all the other kholerye drek people crap out and have the giant brass monkey balls to call websites.

But of course, thinking on screen presentation first is easier, and using non-semantic markup and putting presentation inlined in the code (and yes, the style attribute counts for this) is easier, and making the page more complex and using more code to make it is easier, slapping fat bloated libraries like jquery on the page for things that likely have no business on the page or is CSS' job is easier...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
    deathshadow, Nov 26, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and sarahk like this.
  9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, and @Millionclarke.com has it right in that LAYOUT shouldn't have a blasted thing to do with SEO or google results or any other blasted thing. SEMANTIC MARKUP can help, but really your CONTENT, and how many places voluntarily link to it are ALL search engines care about. They could give a flying purple fish what your site LOOKS LIKE.

USERS on the other hand...

Though I take issue with the mention of 'budget' as a properly built properly designed site it should occur naturally and it should be part of the construction of every site at no extra charge. Anyone who thinks it takes enough extra work to be billed extra for most likely doesn't know enough about websites to build one for you!

Though to be fair that's 90%+ of the jackasses out there building websites and ignoring everything I've said in this thread.

deathshadow, Nov 26, 2013 IP
  10. vaxs143

vaxs143 Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot for this information.

Really you have changed my mind and I also think that yes, one should have the responsive website.

vaxs143, Dec 2, 2013 IP
  11. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, In mobility market, most of the users check the website using smartphone. So, the website should be well formatted with mobile friendly or responsive website.

creativewebmaster, Dec 4, 2013 IP