1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Experts, please review my educational site landing page.

Discussion in 'Websites' started by infinity0009, Nov 3, 2013.

My website www.edcoogle.com focuses on educational content for K 12 students.

Please point out the good and the bad about the landing page. Specifically

A. Is the value proposition clear?
    B. Is the Call to Action effective?
    C. Are the images appealing or is the design to simplistic considering that it's for students?
    D. Is there something that hinders you from entering your email address?

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    infinity0009, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  2. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The first thing I noticed is the fact that I am forced to scroll from Left to Right which distracted me from the content.

The second thing... I would never give my address to be contacted when the web site is finally open. Just doesn't seem like there's anything in it for me... I would however include my email address to receive some free educational information AND be included on the list to be contacted when the site opens.

NetStar, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  3. Abiolas Gabriel

Abiolas Gabriel Member

Best Answers:
    I don't understand the site,but i saw the enter your email box.

Abiolas Gabriel, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  4. infinity0009

infinity0009 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, i designed it specifically so that users wouldn't have to scroll from left to right. Could you tell me your screen resolution?

Do you mean to say i should lure users by saying that i would be giving 'free educational info'.

Keeping in mind that i have designed it specifically for students aged 12-17.

infinity0009, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  5. NetStar

NetStar Notable Member

Best Answers:

1280x960 is my resolution.

Btw, if you designed this web site FOR 12-17 year olds and you are trying to collect their email addresses you def will have to change the ENTIRE layout. It's not something that would attract them at all.

People rarely sign up to be alerted when a web site goes live... You aren't luring by offering something for free.. you giving an incentive, or benefit.

NetStar, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  6. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You did not. You made it fixed. Instead, you should be making it responsive. Take a look at @deathshadow's posts. He makes some very good ones about design and recently in particular about responsive design.

Aside from that, I see a place to enter my email address and have to ask "why?" - so will the average surfer. You need to give them more reason to hand out their email address. We're all tired of spam. Forget having a "coming soon" site and instead launch a real site. At this time, I see no purpose for your site.

ryan_uk, Nov 4, 2013 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  7. infinity0009

infinity0009 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your advice.

I had conducted a survey in which i had asked students if they would like to be on a site, which has the features i mentioned on the landing page. I got 40-45 % emails on that survey, without even the site!. However the response on the landing page has been much lower.

I think you are correct that i'll probably have to change the entire layout in order to attract them. It's very simplistic for their taste. I would search on the internet, but it would be great if you could direct me to some good landing pages you have in mind.

Cheers!

Hey Ryan, thanks for the comments.

I had to limit information because i was trying to make a single page - landing page. But, i think it is not working out. I'll have to test more.

I talked to and showed the landing page to around 7 students yesterday and they had the exact same query - "WHY enter email address". I guess you're right. By a landing page i was trying to gauge their 'real' interest which they showed me in a survey i conducted.

One more thing, i was trying to limit the landing page to a single page, which led me to cut short on more information i could have provided. Do you also think like Netstar here that the design is too simplistic and i should overhaul it? Should i change it two and pages provide some more information for the visitors?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
    infinity0009, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  8. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Your focus was on the visual aspect, whereas it should be informative, demonstrating purpose, and being useful.

You already have an example of what worked well with your audience (a survey) and give them a reason to provide the email address - such as an email discussing the results (in a useful way). Of course, it should all be "anonymised" (no one can be personally identifiable from it). You need to experiment and learn what works well to engage your audience.

Always focus on the audience. Screw pretty, screw flashy and using the latest "tech". Audience, audience, audience.

ryan_uk, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  9. infinity0009

infinity0009 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Superb Ryan.

I talked to a lot of students and they did not like the site. They want it to be more colorful and more informational. Doesn't matter to them, if it's three page.They need strong reasons to give their email to a site. Much of what i have gathered from here.

infinity0009, Nov 6, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  10. monkeye

monkeye Active Member

Best Answers:
    This website needs a logo, something people will remember. How did you come up with your domain name?

monkeye, Nov 10, 2013 IP
  11. infinity0009

infinity0009 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes. I don't know how to design the logo and thus i am looking at designers on fiverr.com.

Just clubbed the words education and google. Didn't give it

Sorry for the above post.

Just clubbed the words education and google. Didn't give it much thought. What do you think of it?

Changed the landing page. Please have a look : www.edcoogle.com/

Better response from students. What do the experts from digitalpoint make of this one?

Thanks a ton!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
    infinity0009, Nov 10, 2013 IP
  12. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Mate, it's an improvement, but you should switch the part asking for an email address to below the four boxes with information. As a visitor, I'm going to read and then if I like what I've read, I'll submit my email address to the list or whatever.

I would also recommend making the site responsive as students are probably going to access it with smartphones and tablets.

The top part (from the top down to "Get answers to your doubts within hours, from brilliant teachers and IITians. For school students, completely FREE.") is FAR too big. as well as the email harvesting area (a smaller photo and form wouldn't take anything away from the site's appeal, only improve it).

Good luck!

ryan_uk, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  13. .hawaii

.hawaii Member

Best Answers:
    I like it! I like the size of the information boxes on the second half of the page. Everything looks professionally made which is important for a website on education, well done.

.hawaii, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  14. infinity0009

infinity0009 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks for your suggestions.

Check this out : www.edcoogle.com/ . I have made some changes to the landing page. Added a video to it.

Thanks!

infinity0009, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  15. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    By the way, you need to set up edcoogle.com to redirect to www.edcoogle.com as edcoogle.com is parked. This is easy to do through Godaddy's interface (and the steps are in the support section).

With regards to the site, it's an improvement. I still do not like the fact it is not responsive. Yes, you can even do that with an embedded video from YouTube (search it in Google and there are some easy to find solutions).

I still think the top half of the page is too big, however this is something you should put to your students.

ryan_uk, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  16. infinity0009

infinity0009 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey Ryan_uk,

Thanks for the suggestions. I talked to the students regarding the top half and they thought that providing more information there is OK. Hence i stuck with it.

With regards to hosting, my site is currently hosted at unbounce.com. I realise that edcoogle.com redirects to godaddy, but i don't know how to redirect it to www.edcoogle.com . I know it's a silly request, but could you please describe the process of redirecting it to www.edcoogle.com in detail.

Thanks!

infinity0009, Nov 23, 2013 IP
  17. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Like I mentioned, it's in GoDaddy's support section:
    http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/422/forwarding-or-masking-your-domain-name

ryan_uk, Nov 23, 2013 IP