1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about plagiarism

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by kind_of_the_cash, Nov 7, 2013.

I would like to get expert advice on this question about plagiarism.

I've found a web site which is useful for one of my university assignment and when reading their privacy policy i found "if you refer to our contents please put link to our web site" so I've referred some of their contents and used to write my assignment. But now university have send me report that i have plagiarized contents in my assignment.

My question is : Can i appeal on this based on that web site's privacy policy ?

Solved! View solution.
    kind_of_the_cash, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you did that it my University, you would have been expelled!. Plagiarism in an academic setting is a serious issue.

Any appeal is not going to succeed if you refer to that website's privacy policy.

Agent000, Nov 8, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
    If you used the website simply as a source, you should appeal. But, you better make darn sure that there's not even a single phrase of text that matches that you haven't quoted as being from that website.

If even one sentence matches between your work and the website AND you did not attribute it properly (state clearly that it is a direct quotation from the website and surround it in quotation marks), I'm sorry my friend, you're out of luck.

If you took sentences and simply changed the word order or switched out adjectives, you're also out of luck for that too is plagiarism.

The terms of service of the site don't relate to a university paper. For example, you can use material word-for-word from Wikipedia online. But, doing so would be considered plagiarism in an academic setting.

YMC, Nov 9, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and kind_of_the_cash like this.
  4. INEEDCONTENT

INEEDCONTENT Guest

Best Answers:
    The key word is 'refer' that does not mean copy

INEEDCONTENT, Nov 12, 2013 IP
    kind_of_the_cash likes this.
  5. TREYC

TREYC Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I'm not sure, but if you copy and paste or take anything from the content word for word; of course that's plagiarism!

Live and learn.

TREYC, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  6. Damina

Damina Peon

Best Answers:
    So you copied some things from a website, and you sited your source? That's pretty common, but perhaps you used to much of their content? Of course you can appeal; the question is really will you win.

Damina, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  7. Agent000

Best Answers:
    In an academic setting its NOT common. There are warnings all over the place at Universities about not doing it and the consequences if caught. How do you know that this is common in Universities?

Agent000, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  8. Damina

Damina Peon

Best Answers:
    It's uncommon to quote and cite a source in an academic setting? Is that not where we actually learn HOW to do it in the first place?

Damina, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  9. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Sorry ... I misread your post.!!!! I thought you said 'not site the source' .... too late at night.

Agent000, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  10. Conran

Conran Active Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter what the website says, it's your University that has the authority to cry foul when they find that a student has basically just copied the ideas and opinions expressed on a website.

You are a student, you cannot be copying content from the internet and passing it off as your own. Universities know all the tools to find this material out there, they have teams checking content to make sure their students aren't doing exactly what it seems you have done.

Research requires you to gather information on a subject, but only to use those points to create your own ideas. It seems to me as though they've caught you just copying something from a site and claiming it as your own, because the website says you could use some of it (for other sites, not for University).

Conran, Nov 16, 2013 IP
    kind_of_the_cash likes this.