1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is .net domain for blog is good or bad?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by abidali27, Nov 12, 2013.

I'm searching for a domain for my new blog. Most good names are taken.

I found few good infact excellent names in .net extension.

I want to ask that will a good domain name with .net extension get good traffic?

For example, abid.com is for sale in sedo oar any other platform and does not have presence in search results. Will abid.net get good traffic??

abidali27, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    For type-ins and word-of-mouth and similar you might lose traffic to the .com, so you are better off coming up with your own name. It doesn't matter what the TLD is from an SEO perspective (except when it comes to local search), so .net would do as well as .com in a search engine. Even if you don't want to use the .com, it's usually best to own it so no one else can capitalise on traffic to it. For example, even when I buy a ccTLD, I usually buy the .com and redirect it.

I would recommend you come up with a unique name so that you can establish your own unique brand.

ryan_uk, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  3. abidali27

abidali27 Member

Best Answers:
    So you're suggesting that good name in .net (i.e, easily remeberable) is good rather to look long and difficult to remeber name in dot com? isn't it?

4. RosuC

RosuC Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that if you have a "name".net very interesting and you do a good SEO for it - you will be able to make a good job. But as Ryan said you should be aware at the competition, I mean check the "name".com to don't have a powerful website that can take all your work just because is using a "natural" extension.

RosuC, Nov 12, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  5. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Not really. I'm saying there is nothing wrong with .net, but if you want to establish a brand then why go for blah.net when blah.com exists? You will have brand confusion, possible UDRP, loss of traffic and similar to deal with. Instead, come up with a unique brand available in .com. I hope it's easier for you to understand this time. :)

ryan_uk, Nov 12, 2013 IP
    RosuC likes this.
  6. abidali27

abidali27 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, thanks ryan_uk for excellent explaination.

7. waqascheema

waqascheema Member

Best Answers:
    if you cant find google name in .com then second best option is .net .. :)

waqascheema, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  8. Webcenter

Webcenter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    avoid register .net and keep searching THE .com , you'll be more thank happy after that and nothing to blame on. i.e. : blame the extension .net because you fail to rank the site

Webcenter, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  9. domainvale.com

domainvale.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    The only time .NET will make most sense is when you already "SLD" of the .COM, you can buy .NET to gain more traffic when your website is well known. Sometimes, competitors and domainers may register the .NET of your "SLD".

Get ahead of your enemy. Buy both simultaneously and Redirect .NET to .COM, facebook for example when you type facebook.net it will automatically land you to .COM

Good Luck.

domainvale.com, Nov 15, 2013 IP
  10. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are many things when you compare .net with .com..

SEO value of .com is higher than .net
    There is possibility to receive type-in traffic of you have .com compared to .net
    Popularity of .com is higher than .net
    .com means commercial means it has good commercial value..

alex06295, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  11. Ian28

Ian28 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can get good traffic with most domain extensions such as .net but if you are going to invet a lot of your time into building a brand, I would suggest going with a .com
    It will benefit you in the long term and really add to the value of your developed website.

Ian28, Nov 17, 2013 IP
  12. Sam Douglas

Sam Douglas Banned

Best Answers:
    It is good but not better than .com
    .com comes 1st
    .net comes 2nd.
    .org comes 3rd
    .info comes 4th
    As per SEO

Sam Douglas, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  13. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    TLD does not matter in SEO (except for local search).

ryan_uk, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  14. CloudyVideos

CloudyVideos Member

Best Answers:
    Yep Ryan is right as far as I know as well, SEO-wise you can promote any extension or site but lets say if I tell someone visit my site called 'DogLovers' he will first look for the DogLovers.com and not DogLovers.net if they compete each other...this can and will hurt you on the future

btw ryan_uk - That's a great name for a domain you're selling - Like! ;)

CloudyVideos, Nov 22, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  15. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Exactly - branding is where it (having the .com) counts. (Well, if it's local search/country specific then the .com and ccTLD.)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
    ryan_uk, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  16. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO, dot NET is the second best extension after COM and may give your site authority depending on what is your site about, but it is great for those related to networks, and not longer intended only for networks as it was sometimes in the past.

Mystique, Nov 22, 2013 IP
  17. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Building a recognition to your name or brand is indeed what everyone is aiming for nowadays. If you want to be heard you should not compromise on picking your domain and indeed it needs to be a well-thought process. Find your unique name and stick with it - get the .com (for reasons stated above) but also consider getting other extensions of the same and park them (link them together) to open the same website. You can also get common mistypes and close spellings like plurals etc. to ensure you collect all the traffic from your idea. After all domains are not that expensive and parking them is quite easy (most webhosts can do that for you in a matter of minutes).

There are many discussions if unique brand or keywording should be the main criteria when picking your domain but that really depends on your website plans. As you mentioned you'll be building a blog, if its a personal one, I would go with a unique brand name and start building upon that.

Rado_ch, Nov 23, 2013 IP