1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Please Review my website - Whatsonglobal.com

Discussion in 'Websites' started by Patrick McCurley, Nov 4, 2013.

Hi there,

Thanks for reading,

Please review my website www. whats on global .com.

The site is a single-page application delivering world-wide events on a map to any user.

Any feedback regarding general design would be appreciated,

1. What a user will like
    2. What might turn off a user
    3. Anything that is confusing or irritating.

Because the site is javascript only, we use the AJAX crawling guidelines to serve up the SEO content. This involves adding _escaped_fragment_?= to URLs so google knows to request the Html snapshot as opposed to the Ajax page.

Edit : The site does not support tablet/phone size, or a resized browser - We're working on the responsive design of the site to suit these formats, so I'm not looking for any feedback related to that. Thanks.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Patrick McCurley, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  2. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I usually browse with a resized browser window (as I need to see other stuff), so what I see is an under construction page. I wouldn't even say my browser is at mobile size, but rather PC, laptop or tablet. So this is an instantly big negative and design flaw.

When I fetched as GoogleBot I didn't get any different content. However, if this is your plan, is part of it also to get banned from Google? (This even happened to BMW for cloaking.)

(That wasn't SEO advice, just good practice for a business.)

I feel like you are ignoring your audience - a high percentage of people are going to be using smartphones and tablets to find out what's on. You have largely alienated these people though and they will instead use an alternative site. It's a shame, because it has potential.

I looked at one event (Carnaby Street) and the description was:
    This doesn't really make sense to me. What has their FB page got to do with it?

ryan_uk, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  3. Patrick McCurley

Patrick McCurley Peon

Best Answers:
    Ryan,

Thanks for your response.

Yes the site currently isn't optimised for smaller screen resolutions (tablets, mobile) so we have a construction page there until the responsive design is complete.

Sorry I feel I have not explained myself very well in my original post, as I am new to some of these concepts. We are not using 'cloaking', more the official guidelines from google for how to serve up HTML snapshots for an Ajax page (which all of ours are being an SPA). https://developers.google.com/webmasters/ajax-crawling/docs/getting-started

I have updated my post to reflect my request in a more accurate way.

You're absolutely spot on with the descriptions, there are few of them are mismatched from an algorithm designed to pull in some extra information from events. Thanks for the spot.

Patrick.

Patrick McCurley, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  4. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    By the way, search for "whatsonglobal" in Google and check the first result (I won't post here, as you probably don't want a link to it).

ryan_uk, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  5. forumrating

forumrating Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The idea and development is done well.
    The balloon in logo of global should be up and not going down.
    Data of many events shall be published so a user can see website filled with information.

forumrating, Nov 9, 2013 IP
  6. monkeye

monkeye Active Member

Best Answers:
    OK, imagine I come across your website on a Google SERP.
    The first thing I would think is probably, what the hell is this? And close immediately.

You must make crystal clear what your website is about from the very homepage!

monkeye, Nov 10, 2013 IP
  7. Patrick McCurley

Patrick McCurley Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback, is there anything specifically you can think of that would help with you identifying the intention of the website?

Patrick McCurley, Nov 10, 2013 IP
  8. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    A short mission statement for after the logo? Anyway, this seems more like something for social media (and an app) rather than a focus on getting visitors from organic search.

ryan_uk, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  9. .hawaii

.hawaii Member

Best Answers:
    Love the site! Really good idea. I have had times where I've wanted a good site listing events in my city but havn't been able to find a good one. I could see this taking off! Could definitely work as an app.

.hawaii, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  10. Patrick McCurley

Patrick McCurley Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Ryan,

What makes you say that? Organic search is the current focus give we have ~200k events (due to have >1m by January 2014), I'm curious why you would think otherwise?

Patrick McCurley, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  11. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Your site would be "cool" as an app (or working smartphones and tablets). Your site is "cool" for sharing through social media (a big hint to you that it's a great area for you to be marketing in). Your site's content (and the social media marketing) should do the work for you in terms of organic. Maybe that is a bit clearer?

ryan_uk, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  12. Patrick McCurley

Patrick McCurley Peon

Best Answers:
    Much clearer, thanks

Patrick McCurley, Nov 12, 2013 IP