1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Algorithm Update "Hummingbird" Has been Rolled out

Discussion in 'Google' started by log0008, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Dakota Johnson

Dakota Johnson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Please Explain the update of Google Algorithm...???

Dakota Johnson, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  2. emily

emily Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Improved usage of "Knowledge Graph", meaning displaying info from wikipedia, image search etc. and improved support for "natural language" queries.

emily, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  3. Glen Huff

Glen Huff Member

Best Answers:
    One of the new things that Google expressed with the Hummingbird algorithm is the idea of conversational searching. For example, some people find it more useful to search in conversation. Especially with the new voice technologies, it's not uncommon for people to type full questions into a search query as if they were asking a person for an answer. Not everyone just types one to two word keywords. In many cases, you'll find people searching like this: "Where is the nearest iphone repair shop?" Old search engine algorithms would focus on exact matches of keywords in the search query. Hummingbird should be able to realize exactly what the person is trying to find, more efficiently. As Emily mentioned, it's an example of recognizing the use of natural language.

Glen Huff, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  4. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This will also open good opportunities for those that work long tail searches. There will be many more options for people to find you.

Winagain, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  5. Glen Huff

Glen Huff Member

Best Answers:
    I would advise people not to spam small keywords (1-3 words) everywhere and focus on the long-tail strategies from the past. I feel a lot of people didn't make use of long-tail keywords and now is the time to do so more than anything. Use phrases rather than single words. Many people search with full sentences. Using these sentences in your content may prove to be a good strategy and open yourself up to more keywords.

If Google is going to work the way I'm hoping, it will recognize meanings behind phrases. We all know that there are thousands of ways to express what you mean, and if they are directing people to websites based on the "meaning" behind their search query, then that opens up a lot of doors.

6. colcon

colcon Peon

Best Answers:
    and when they do not use phrases they use things like "and" or "it" which search engines disregard

colcon, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  7. Glen Huff

Glen Huff Member

Best Answers:
    It surprises me how many people are not aware of Google Stop Words. The idea behind it all is to make your content sound natural and less optimized for search engines. When I say that, I mean the content should not be written for Google search engines. It should be written for the users who will find value in it.

So many companies put content up solely for the purpose of "adding more content to make search engines happy". You can tell when people do this and are not writing for their readers. The only difference between their keywords are the common words within Google's Stop Words list.

I hope they make more use of synonyms in their algorithm. It would be easier to write quality content if people didn't have to focus on exact match phrases. The idea of having a keyword density on a page annoys me. The meaning behind the content should have a bigger impact than the appearance of an individual word. Hopefully this enhancement to the long-tail system helps with that.

I feel like people who have tried optimizing their pages for exact keyword matches may see more competition with pages that have better quality and variety in their content. I for one hate viewing a page that has the same words written over and over again. We have such a large vocabulary in the English language. Why not make more use of it? I encourage variation for uniqueness in your content as long as it's relevant to the topic.

Optimizing for longer, more descriptive searches should bring in more traffic with this update.

8. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot @Glen Huff for your help. So you mean long tail keyword strategy, using keyword phrases along with use of synonyms will do good in this period of time?

9. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Best Answers:
    Hummingbird has been rolled out a month ago and we all have been scraping internet for all the information regarding latest update. After going through many articles about new hummingbird algorithm, I have managed to highlight few points which will help SEO community in post Hummingbird era. Follow these highlights to improve your SEO strategy-

* Create quality, linkable and relevant content
    * There is no need to bring in drastic changes in your SEO strategy
    * Focus less on just keywords and more behind the intention of using it & your customers
    * Actively engage with your potential customers on blogs and other web 2.0 media
    * Understand and adapt semantic search
    * Emphasis more on social media interaction

Hope this helps.

10. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Best Answers:
    There has not been much difference after hummingbird update, it shouldn't affect if you have been doing SEO right way. As I posted on other forum.

Hummingbird has been rolled out a month ago and we all have been scraping internet for all the information regarding latest update. After going through many articles about new hummingbird algorithm, I have managed to highlight few points which will help SEO community in post Hummingbird era. Follow these highlights to improve your SEO strategy-

* Create quality, linkable and relevant content
    * There is no need to bring in drastic changes in your SEO strategy
    * Focus less on just keywords and more behind the intention of using it & your customers
    * Actively engage with your potential customers on blogs and other web 2.0 media
    * Understand and adapt semantic search
    * Emphasis more on social media interaction

Hope this helps.

11. protondomainer

protondomainer Banned

Best Answers:
    All we know that google was change to new algorithm "Hummingbird"..
    then, we must know step so that our site still in page one google, below are 200 step to defeat Hummingbird Algorithm, check this out

Hummingbird SEO Steps.jpg
    i dont know why image become smaller, if want to see bigger image visit
    ads-id[.]com/forums/showthread.php/167680-200-Jurus-SEO-di-Era-Algo-Hummingbird?highlight=Hummingbird​

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    protondomainer, Oct 3, 2013 IP
    Avo19 likes this.
  12. Glen Huff

Glen Huff Member

Best Answers:
    It should, although I'm not 100% sure how Google has improved their ability to recognize the meaning behind a phrase of words. But, this is what they are claiming on their Hummingbird announcement. They don't necessarily tell you exactly what they are looking for and what they are comparing queries to. I'd be interested in finding out how their algorithm is "understanding" the meaning behind a phrase of words within a long tail search query.

Glen Huff, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  13. najinsword

najinsword Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Since this seems to be kind of a hot topic right now I figured I would talk about it some more. I have been in SEO for around four years now and I've seen Google do many things in this time frame.
    1) I would not freak out if something happens to the ranking of your website(s). This happens all the time when something new with Google changes hence why SEO methods evolve all the time

2) Content, Content, Content. Google has always said that top quality content is the best way to go for your website. That's what everyone needs to be doing because Google doesn't need their space filled with the same content. Try to get opinion articles and articles on different topics that you do not see many websites covering.

3) What makes you standout? Google want unique websites in their space. So you need to evaluate your website and show what stands out than websites you are competing with. If NOTHING stands out then try something NEW. Google wants your website to try to standout if it's on the first page so you need to show Google that you can do that.

4) Clean SEO Practices. This has been something Google has been cracking down since the Panda/Penguin update. This is why web2.0s, quality content, and social bookmarking are more popular than ever right now because it is some of the best ways for you to improve the SEO of your website.

I just thought I would share some opinions I had about the new algorithm change. I wouldn't be all too worried about it just keep in mind some things I said and if anyone has anything to add I would appreciate it! Just trying to help out.

Thanks

najinsword, Oct 4, 2013 IP
  14. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Best Answers:
    Well i think that just modifying keyword strategy won't help but along with that the content needs to satisfy the intent too. I am just curious to know, now that Google is trying to understand the complete query and not just keywords, is it possible that a quality content webpage which is relatively less popular rank higher than more popular pages?

15. Glen Huff

Glen Huff Member

Best Answers:
    That's not a bad checklist at all. It's important to note though, the amount of influence each factor has on the ranking system varies and fluctuates over time. Some things become obsolete. SEO is constantly evolving, but you'll notice certain things never change. Google wants quality and has guidelines. I see this checklist as a pretty good guide.

Glen Huff, Oct 4, 2013 IP
  16. AutoTerminal

AutoTerminal Active Member

Best Answers:
    We got 35% traffics increase because old keywords come to 1st and 2nd pages. Other keywords with regular optimisation did not move at all. Its the old pages and old keywords without optimisation.

AutoTerminal, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  17. webgoogle

webgoogle Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hummingbird is NOT a ranking algorithm update. It is just a search infrastructure update like caffeine.

........................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    webgoogle, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  18. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    damn my website go down

Master Directory, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  19. phattrance

phattrance Active Member

Best Answers:
    my blogs actually got more traffic after the update :)

phattrance, Nov 9, 2013 IP
  20. RedMirror

RedMirror Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yep, it's been out for a month, Google announced it today on their 15th Birthday

RedMirror, Nov 9, 2013 IP