1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Duplicate TITLE Tags Bad For Search Engine Optimization?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Matt Alen, Oct 31, 2013.

hi,
    As you know title tag is one of the most important aspect of on page optimization as well as during searches. let me know what could happened if some one have let say 5 pages in his site with same title tags?

matt

Matt Alen, Oct 31, 2013 IP
  2. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius Member

Best Answers:
    Search engine won't penalize or put you down if you use the same title for all your web pages. None of the meta tags are now considered as a ranking factor by Google. Title tag are solely to increase your CTR. If your target audience likes what he reads in title tag, he is definitely going to visit your link. So try not to keep same title tag for all pages. Use some variations and judge which of them performs better.
    Hope this helps. :D

3. C.Rebecca

C.Rebecca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Each page on your site is an SEO opportunity to attract the right kind of visitors. Also, the page title is one of the most important elements of on-page SEO.
    If it were me, I'd spend a little time thinking of appropriate (and different) titles for each page to loop in the most appropriate traffic and avoid keyword cannibalization.

C.Rebecca, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  4. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I disagree. The title tag is a powerful signal to the search engines about the content and theme(s) of that page.

Jim4767, Nov 6, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  5. Sayeri

Sayeri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Matt,

I will go with Jim here. Title tag is one of the important aspects of SEO.So it would be good if you can add different title tag for each page.If you are doing the structural onpage then only you can create one title tag with keyword variation. Always write the title & description in this way that it helps the users to get the correct information.

Sayeri, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  6. Sayeri

Sayeri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is to inform you Vijay that still title tag is one of the important factor of SEO where as description is used to attract the users. If you put same title tag for 10 pages then in webmaster account you can get duplicate meta title info under HTML improvement.

Sayeri, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  7. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius Member

Best Answers:
    I just wanted to say that duplicate title tags won't get you penalized :)
    Though the duplicate results may be filtered out.
    *peace* :D

8. Parag Girotra

Parag Girotra Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You must use unique and different title tags of every webpage.

Parag Girotra, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  9. Glen Huff

Glen Huff Member

Best Answers:
    The title impacts relevancy. As long as the title is relevant to the content on the page, there would be a benefit to having it. Having the same title on multiple pages may indicate that the content on them are related to each other. From there, checking for duplicate content occurs. That's where pages start losing their value and you lose the benefit.

On a side note, if duplicate titles penalized your website, then cms websites with pagination would have to dynamically change their title tag on every page accordingly. But, I don't see that happening. If they blog often or add new products, the page content on page 1 or page 2 of the archive will keep changing. Most blogs and cms sites don't change their titles for page 1, page 2, or page 3 of their most recent posts. They usually have a more general tag that summarizes the category or blog subject as a whole. Each archive page may have the same title, but the individual posts or product pages would have unique titles relevant to that specific page. The general page listings are just that. General. A general title tag about the listings is an accurate title. Each listing should be unique. And for that, unique titles are needed.

Relevancy is a big factor in ranking. The idea of a title is to correctly identify a page to a subject. It's a one line summary of what your visitors are looking for. As long as it is optimized for the page that it is labeling, you are fine. If it's irrelevant to the page, you don't get a +1.

Glen Huff, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  10. webdev007

webdev007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Although there is not much harm to use same/duplicate titles but this may lead to diversification of your traffic to different or untargeted pages.

webdev007, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  11. karen9999

karen9999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, as per the Google document all pages should have unique and accurate TITLE tags. Each of your page should ideally have unique title tag which helps Google to know how the page is distinct from the others on your site.

karen9999, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  12. SBRTechnologies

SBRTechnologies Member

Best Answers:
    I believe Page Title is still considered as one of the vital elements of On-Page SEO. As per my opinion it would be wise enough if you create new and unique title tag with keyword variation. Once you do little bit of variation, you would be able to stay focussed and gain targeted traffic.

SBRTechnologies, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  13. GuruCreation

GuruCreation Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, not really, but why have the same TITLE TAGS?

Wouldn't you want to have readers and search engines decipher between what the title of a page is and what you are trying to target?

I think so!

GuruCreation, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  14. Rock121

Rock121 Member

Best Answers:
    This is create problem for you... So please use unique content with unique title that's required of today.............

Rock121, Nov 23, 2013 IP