1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it necessary to submit a sitemap to search engines?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by Naren_P, Nov 3, 2013.

I have self hosted wordpress site. i created my XML sitemap file using google xml sitemap plugin. But my question is it still necessary to manually submit a sitemap to search engines?

Naren_P, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    No, it's not.

digitalpoint, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  3. Sayeri

Sayeri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi Naren,

My answer is Yes. First we should know why we are creating sitemap & why it is important & if we go through the below link hope you will get your answer:
    http://www.web-site-map.com/
    It will help you to increase the number of indexed pages & it is suggested to create sitemap manually mentioning priority, frequency etc. Priority can be from 0 to 1 like .9,.7.8.5 etc. & it helps the spider to determine how much importance you are giving that particular page & frequency can be daily, weekly, monthly & yearly. It helps the crawlers to understand how frequent they crawl your webpages.

FYI: You should mention the sitemap url in robots.txt file & submit this in Google webmaster also.

Thanks
    Sayeri

Sayeri, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  4. omkaar

omkaar Member

Best Answers:
    even without a sitemap, google indexes all possible links (unless blocked by .htaccess and robots.txt)
    sitemap (and link proiorities like 1.0, 0.9, 0.8.....) is only a way you expect google to crawl in that order and at that rate.
    but usually google bot crawls at its own rate (most frequently crawled sites are the ones frequently updated and has huge traffic to those links)

omkaar, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  5. Sayeri

Sayeri Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Without sitemap Google bot can crawl the links but through sitemap you can show the urls that you want to crawl to Google bot & in this way it will improve the crawling frequency.

Sayeri, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  6. omkaar

omkaar Member

Best Answers:
    seriously.. i haven't felt usage of a sitemap.
    its only like a sign board , but google bot need not follow its directions.
    i saw a 0.5 priority link being indexed first rather than a 0.9 or 1.0 priority link
    google bot goes by popularity of keywords (used in its search) in your pages, not by what you ask them to do

omkaar, Nov 6, 2013 IP
  7. Erin Catorina

Erin Catorina Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe, because sometimes search engine could not approach some of the links. Sitemaps make it easy to crawl on every link. Or you can say that if you have bad navigation then you should send sitemap, otherwise it is not really necessary.

Erin Catorina, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  8. torrado

torrado Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, It is always good that you have two types of Sitemaps for your website. XML sitemap is always good for the search engine to index out the complete web pages of your website. While HTML sitemap is good for the user prospective.

torrado, Nov 11, 2013 IP
  9. nitu666

nitu666 Member

Best Answers:
    It is not necessary to submit a sitemap to search engine but yes it is good to submit because it helps google robot (googlebot) to crawl/find your site links.

nitu666, Nov 30, 2013 IP
  10. atsad

atsad Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Simply think it deeply.
    If it's not necessary to submit sitemap to SE, then why Google Webmaster tools have an option to submit it there?
    That's why I submitted my blog's sitemaps there.

atsad, Dec 1, 2013 IP
  11. EWEBAC

EWEBAC Member

Best Answers:
    No.... its not necessary, If you have the good quality content you will attract the search engine automatically... XML Sitemap is only for the search engine not for the user.

EWEBAC, Dec 5, 2013 IP
  12. Vikas Yadav

Vikas Yadav Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you want that each pages of your website is indexed in the search engines, then it is necessary to submit your submit your sitemap in the search engines.

Vikas Yadav, Jan 20, 2014 IP
  13. OwnCoder

OwnCoder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It is optional.

OwnCoder, Jan 20, 2014 IP
  14. maddy.n

maddy.n Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, its compulsory, its not a one time process, if you made any changes that time also should submit sitemap.

maddy.n, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  15. Constructor Decasa

Constructor Decasa Active Member

Best Answers:
    I hope you are running a blog site which is having dynamic urls. You can create a sitemap including your main sub pages and category pages if you have any. And as you know its not possible to generate a site map again and again with newer posts added to your blog site and more and more sub pages are created.

Constructor Decasa, Mar 1, 2014 IP