1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is SEO Siloing? How to do that in my website?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by James chartler, Apr 5, 2013.

I have one shopping site and i'm targeting so many keywords for that site. My webpages are targeting for many keywords but the problem is targeting pages are not related to that keyword. One of my friend said that using SEO Siloing i can resolve this issue but i don't know what it's meaning and how to do that for my site? Please explain it clearly.

Solved! View solution.
    James chartler, Apr 5, 2013 IP
    Hi,

There are two types of silo setups, virtual and directory based. A virtual silo is basically an internal linking structure where your site is broken up into themed mini-sites within itself through the use of categories. The key is to only link content pages within a category to other pages within the same category, the home page, and other top level categories. Never link sub pages of one category to a sub page of another category or you will loosen up the theme of each category. You want tight silos to have your site-links listed in the SERPS.

A directory based silo separates each category into mini-sites through the use of sub directories on your site. For example, if you had a site about sofas, all pages regarding leather sofas would be in the "leather" directory like: sofas.com/leather/black-leather-sofas.html. All pages about suede sofas would be in there own directory as well, like: sofas.com/suede/brown-suede-sofas.html

This tight siloing lets Google know exactly what your site is about, how your site is structured, and gives the bot a very specific path to follow when crawling your site. You can use either virtual or directory siloing but I prefer virtual because I work with WordPress which makes category siloing a little cumbersome. Plus with a virtual silo all your content pages get to stay right next to the .com rather than within a sub directory.

Usually keywords are used throughout a site in a wide variety of locations. By scattering content and keywords the search engines have a hard time finding the theme of each page or section of your website and this can negatively effect your page ranking. By using SILOS you are creating content and keywords relevant for each page of your site. Group your keywords for your site by theme before starting and then create content using these keywords for each page. Hope that helps a little.

Here is a video that might help you:

kam25, Apr 5, 2013 IP
  3. antoines

antoines Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for this explanation of what siloing is. But still, when you build your silos, all pages of different categories are linked through the menu right?

antoines, Nov 5, 2013 IP
  4. James chartler

James chartler Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot.. Clear explanation :)

James chartler, Nov 6, 2013 IP