1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What directory script is the best?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Snowblind1, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess this ^^ proves my point about the "die-hard" fans. Seems like this guy owns a skinning site for PHPLD.

(if you want to know what I'm talking about Irka - read the thread :D )

Snowblind1, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  2. NeoGen

NeoGen Writer

Best Answers:
    Agree and thats where now you have to create die hard fans for your script, hope you understand what I mean;):eek::)

NeoGen, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  3. praveen

praveen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    the other way is,

once someone decides to make lots of skins for free or commercially, it would be a hard one to dislodge them from that particular script.

so, whether someone is really interested in the script or interested in the money he/she earns because of it is something tough to identify :)

End of the day: more people shift = less need for templates = eventually he/she will move as well.

praveen, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  4. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is that you who just gave me an infraction saying that i am spamming? What's wrong with my post?

I don't get what you mean by the way by saying (if you want to know what I'm talking about Irka - read the thread )
    ? I read the thread and i would never use your directory script :D:D:D

irka, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  5. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well at least they have created those fans and not you (look at your thread).
    I got support from phpld when i needed it :), it's not hard to set up phpld and the fact is your pratically don't need support. Needing support means there are problems somewhere though phpld doesn't show any problems to me.

I think that you're frustrated cause none use your script, by the way if i find something better than phpld i will change, so far phpld is the best ;) what do you say is that spam?

irka, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  6. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Uh...he and others own phpLD template sites because SO MANY PEOPLE use phpLD....which leads me to think it is, in fact, the best directory script.

By the way, I love the title of this thread "What directory script is the best?" which your amazing answer is that your own script is the best. :rolleyes:

EveryQuery, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  7. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    Self promotion at its best.

Seiya, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  8. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Let me comment here about phpLD...
    Yes, we have grown to be the largest.
    Let's say, for example, that 15,000 sites are running phpLD.
    Of those, even if it is a small percentage, a few are going to be dissatisfied. Having a 100% satisfaction rate is simply not possible.

There have been days when I have stopped everything, and invested more time and money than the customer paid for the script to make sure they were happy.

There have been times when people posted on the support forum, and we missed their call for help, and they got really upset. When we found these people, we tried to again stop everything and help.

There have been people that we lost money helping, only to find they switched to another script.

Those are the negative examples.

I don't give up on anybody. Period.
    Sometimes people lose patience.
    Sometimes people have bad luck.
    Sometimes people get a template that has a lot of problems.
    Sometimes people don't get the help they need at the time they most needed it.

We try to learn from our experiences and improve just like everyone else.
    People can choose to give up on us, but we won't stop trying our best to listen, learn and improve.

dvduval, Dec 6, 2006 IP
    daboss likes this.
  9. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, we would all like "instant" support, but most of us understand that even you have to get at least a couple hours a day of sleep in. :D

EveryQuery, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  10. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I can tear this f*cking thread apart, especially with that last few posts(nothing against you personally Derek) but i'm going to be nice about it and just let things ride. And you all know im NOT a happy camper right now with phpld.

an0n, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  11. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    I haven't tested your script so i don't know much about it however all the example pages that are listed on your site are pretty ugly. They are very usable though. I agree that phpld 2.0 takes too long to install, it took me more then 2 hours yesterday (because of way too many files). A big part of those files is likely security features however. I'm sure a lot of these could be compacted to make installation simpler.

You repeatedly mention categories being included. The reasoning behind disallowing this should be to reduce the amount of duplicate content thereby increasing the worth of the directory. Then again theres no reason this couldn't be included as an optional addition.

You have a valid point about comparing your directory only with the free ones, however can yours stack up to the newest phpld release? If not perhaps you should attempt to better the newer phpld version. I'm not really sure why dvduval doesn't allow a free version of this.. perhaps he will later.

I currently own 3 site sift directories, one indexu directory, and 3 phpld directories..

Phpld is the nicest looking and has the best admin of the 3 but was incredibly slow to install and template.
    Site sift was the easiest to install and loads the quickest but the templates are really lacking.
    Indexu looks decent with little work but has severe admin problems (even slower then one click per approve, you have to wait for a redirect... agh!).

klown, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  12. pgolovko

pgolovko Peon

Best Answers:
    No matter how long you have used a script, you can never really appreciate its power and features. Not until you write your own:
    http://www.astanda.com/adp/
    The script has been in development for only couple of months, yet already beats all of the above mentioned scripts with its unique features like web spider, proper FULLTEXT seach with keyword relenace support, dynamic/static pages, DMOZ data import, etc.

:D

pgolovko, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  13. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Your script has some nice features, and the crawler is really cool. Some of the admin features look pretty advanced.

One problem is that when i browse to a category then click submit your directory doesn't automatically choose the category, i think this is one of the most basic features of a directory script.

Other then this your has some cool functions. I would like to see a better designed demo site for this script.

klown, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  14. pgolovko

pgolovko Peon

Best Answers:
    Most directory owners prefer to modify the default templates:
    http://www.astanda.com/Marketing_and_Advertising/Web_Directories_and_Search_Engines/ADP_Directories/

Smarty template engine rocks :cool:

pgolovko, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  15. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    klown, Dec 6, 2006 IP
    pgolovko likes this.
  16. praveen

praveen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    lets just rephrase it as

Many a Times people don't get the help they need at the time they most needed it.

Lucky Guy ;)

leaving these,

Whether SBD is really good or whether SBD has lots of fans/users is not a matter of question at this stage.

From what i have seen, He has made that extra effort to listen to his users and change his script as needed which others havent.

I havent used SS, so i cant really comment on it.

But i have used PHPLD
    and i can def say i am one of those who has lost the patience with it.
    not because i didnt receive support or whatever,

because of its ability to "always" nearly fix the bugs and apart from Rob (Anon) there doesnt seem to be anyone who can really say in just a single reply what the solution is.

Its always like give me FTP, give me admin blah blah.

praveen, Dec 6, 2006 IP
    pgolovko and deluxdon like this.
  17. pgolovko

pgolovko Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, and you were most likely looking at the current v.1.2 admin demo.

Here's upcoming v.1.3 admin demo:
    http://www.astanda.com/adp/dev/admin/index.php
    user: test
    pass: test

Enjoy ;)

pgolovko, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  18. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Irka, there is no need to get abusive (I'm refering to the infraction that I got with the comment "asshole"). The post I made quoting you wasn't by any means an insult, and if you had read the thread carefully you would realise that. Your post contributed nicely - and I was mearly calling you a fan of PHPLD, and contributed to the community they have.

It may not to you Irka, but people *do* have problems with it, and when they do they have trouble with finding support. Problems are inevitable if people are using your script - it doesn't make it a bad script by any means. Anyone who has ever scripted something for public use of a decent size would agree to that.

I guess you're another person who didn't understand the thread. If you think that by calling him a fan of the script I was insulting him you were wrong. So many people have phpLD template sites because it's a popular script - and these people help build the community. If you read this part of my post
    you will understand what I was getting at.

I found the installation very quick and easy. I stated that in the article, I was just making an observation that there are a lot of files. I wasn't saying that it's a bad thing - it's not.
    It is on my list of things to do =) From what I heard it stacks up well.

Thanks guys.

Snowblind1, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  19. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Some very cool features in there!

Especially move categories. Again the spider impresses me.

How easy is it to mod your dir?

Maybe the next step for yours would be creation of nice templates to go along with it.

klown, Dec 6, 2006 IP
  20. praveen

praveen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    nothing against you.

billions of ppl use Win XP, so is it the Best OS?
    :D

praveen, Dec 6, 2006 IP
    klown likes this.