1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What are your feelings about a lot of American code related work being outsourced?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by johnnywebb, Oct 27, 2013.

Curious to know what the feelings of domestic and foreign coders (designers, developers, programmers, etc) are regarding outsourcing of us jobs. America is experiencing very high unemployment rates at the moment and many people argue that it's because of all the work that is going to countries like China. And now with India's high tech industry accelerating ata record rate lot of code and web related jobs (web design, seo, programming development etc) is going over there, similar to how our manufacturing has gone to China. Our tech jobs seem to be next.

johnnywebb, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  2. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    I Think it is horrible - The Canadian and American Governments should put a limit on how many jobs are being sent to China.

I am a victim of such an an Action - I used to work for a large TV broadcasting manufacturer whoose outsourced to China . We help them get set up Then once they were up and running the Canadian plant was shut down.

DEBooks, Oct 28, 2013 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    This has been a concern for IT related fields for at least 10 years by my count. Tech sector remains pretty much the top growing jobs in the US. Most of the research I've read suggests the actual impact from outsourcing is being over estimated. Yes, there are jobs that are being outsourced, but the amount of domestic growth still outweighs that which is being farmed to other countries. There's also been a noticeable backlash IMO in that the quality of offshore work isn't up to par with what a business would get in hiring well qualified local developers. With that being said, if you're only referring to what could be considered vanilla web development, there's already a massive overabundance of qualified individuals in the US and everywhere else. I would say the job potential for this sort of work is going to remain low with extremely stiff competition. Notwithstanding some types of coding, general web development doesn't require a huge amount of training to perform successfully. Once you get into specialized fields which typically require degrees or specialized training and experience, it's unlikely these will be outsourced in great numbers IMO.

jestep, Oct 28, 2013 IP
  4. qlbbroker

qlbbroker Active Member

Best Answers:
    I am one of those people who outsources a lot of development work overseas. Much of what I outsource is simple quick work that doesn't make sense to hire someone in the US or Canada to work on. I've found that for these small projects, most domestic developers have no interest in taking them on.

For more in-depth projects I typically come state-side for my hiring. The work is simply more thought out and has a higher quality to it. I find that my outsourcing usually requires that I put in significant time and energy into planning and drawing out exactly how the final project should look while staying domestic allows me to work more collaboratively with local developers.

I think there is a place for both outsourced overseas and domestic development.

qlbbroker, Oct 28, 2013 IP
  5. johnnywebb

johnnywebb Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks. Based on your replies I'm concluding that US tech jobs are not as endangered as US manufacturing jobs were because unlike manufacturing jobs the incentive to outsource tech jobs don't always outweigh the benefits of having the work done in the US. But if those benefits aren't heavier you can kiss your job goodbye.

johnnywebb, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  6. Owl Writer

Owl Writer Member

Best Answers:
    I think the technology developers, preferably around the world must work together so that no longer exists between developers of competing technologies are not good.

Owl Writer, Dec 7, 2013 IP