1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to check website backlinks?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by New Tech, Aug 22, 2013.

1. jasonvan

jasonvan Member

Best Answers:
    Backlinkwatch.com is ridiculous because it shows you every single link, including multiple links from the same site.. So if you have 1,000 Site Wide Links from the same domain, you have to see all of this nonsense. I prefer sites like majesticseo and ahrefs ... however, to use these you will eventually have to pay. Everybody wants to make money off this internet thing :-(

jasonvan, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  2. jasonvan

jasonvan Member

Best Answers:
    Wow! Backlinkwatch.com is also really, really out of date. I just checked one of my sites and I'm seeing links that I absolutely removed 4-5 weeks ago....

jasonvan, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  3. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jasonvan - The companies that charge have to spend absolute fortunes keeping their figures up-to-date and getting as many backlinks as possible. So it's a little unfair to be sad about the top ones charging for their services!

As for Backlinkwatch being out of date, it could easily take four or five weeks for the spiders to return to a site enough times to crawl every link. That's just how crawling works: you can't expect ahrefs (which powers Backlinkwatch) to crawl your whole site the day after you change the links – if that sort of thing happened, the Internet will grind to a halt very quickly. Out of courtesy, spiders only crawl a percentage of the site links before moving on. And if they didn't, the hosting companies would just ban them for taking up too much server load.

In fact, Backlinkwatch only delivers around about 10% of the backlinks that ahrefs has in its database. (They are using it as a lead generator to try to get you to sign up to ahrefs.)

So, the deal is, if you are going to use free tools use all the ones you can find and clump the results together. Then at least you got an idea of some of your backlinks.

And if you can pay for one tool then – as I say in my earlier post on this thread – ahrefs is the want to go for.

For the definitive word on backlinking tools see my good friend Matt Woodward's post (he's the dude ;) ):
    http://www.matthewwoodward.co.uk/tutorials/backlink-competitor-analysis/

Malc

malcsimm, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  4. rayalfy

rayalfy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is unlikely to be any type of command line tool for checking backlinks. They are all gui based

rayalfy, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  5. Matt Alen

Matt Alen Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Just google it :back link checking:
    you can choose any one among thousands of sites from search result.
    you can also have chrome or firefox addone for this.

Matt Alen, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  6. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Except they don't work, Matt.

Did you read the other replies before you posted? You'll learn a lot if you read those first. :)

malcsimm, Oct 30, 2013 IP
  7. SoftDev

SoftDev Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oops, i mean gui based (software).

SoftDev, Oct 31, 2013 IP