1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Side wide /Blogroll Link Harmful For Site

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by dkv, Apr 16, 2010.

Hello there

Is side wide /blogroll link harmful For site ?. I noticed that i took few blogroll link ( 5-7 ) for my site and site is 3-4 months old now and yahoo backlinks showing links in thousands.
    Can Google penalize site for this. let me suggest please.

Thanks

dkv, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  2. Cafe del Mar

Cafe del Mar Peon

Best Answers:
    You probably won't get banned, but:

1. You're likely to be sandboxed
    2. Don't expect those 3k links to have the same link power as 3k links from different websites. Google will discount them in sowe way.

Cafe del Mar, Apr 18, 2010 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    No you won't be penalized, but its important to have a natural back link profile.

dcristo, Apr 18, 2010 IP
  4. nucleus99

nucleus99 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldnt say they are harmful, but google wont rate them as highly as links from different sites...

nucleus99, Apr 18, 2010 IP
  5. iowadawg

iowadawg Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Too much disinformation about links on blogs and sites.
    It is okay to have links in your own blog sidebar, footer, and in the posts.
    Google is not going to destroy your blog by not indexing it, blah blah blah.

Just people who know nothing about google, links, and how they work together pass on bad information.

iowadawg, Oct 2, 2013 IP
    Alex210 likes this.
  6. WebDev Solutions

WebDev Solutions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Like some have correctly noted, Sitewide links are not necessarily bad news. You should be ensuring that the website in question is in direct line with your own site in terms of niche if you opt for the sitewide option however, if this isn't a case your leaving a big footprint for Google to penalize you for.

WebDev

WebDev Solutions, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  7. jacksmithweb

jacksmithweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes Sitewide links or Blogroll links are harmfull for website and Google can penalize these website which have blogroll links.

Thanks
    Jack

jacksmithweb, Oct 8, 2013 IP
  8. iowadawg

Best Answers:
    Yep, see another person who has not a clue about links and google.
    And telling the usual hoax about they are harmful.

Geesh, try telling that to the thousands of blogs out there that are at the top of the SERPs.

iowadawg, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  9. Kanonig

Kanonig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Blogroll are the most vulnerable kind of links and Google detest them like plague.

Why would you think getting links from the bottom of a site help your ranking.

I suggest you do away with them asap and focus on building private network
    and contextual links made up of unique content and tier links..

Kanonig, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  10. iowadawg

Best Answers:
    Not one person can prove that google detests links on blogs, bans sites for having links on blogs, or any other negative process used by google.
    Yet, on this thread, this forum, and many other forums. people who know nothing spout out like the previous poster like it is the truth!
    When it is NOT!

iowadawg, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  11. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Why would you think blogroll links are at the bottom of a site. You seem to be confusing blogrolls for footer links.

dcristo, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  12. Kianu42

Kianu42 Member

Best Answers:
    Gosh, the question was asked in 2010!
    I'm sure the OP would appreciate your willingness to help though

Kianu42, Oct 25, 2013 IP
  13. Scritty

Scritty Peon

Best Answers:
    Haivng just done 2 reconsideration requests for clients (they weren't my SEO clients - just my recon clients...ahem) I can say that we took the decision to remove all SWL's from the outset.
    If a site was really good, we tried to get one contextual link on it instead after the reconsideration was complete.
    Google really dislike SWL,s be they footer, blogroll or whatever.

There is a scam where people put them on their own site then try and levy a charge to remove them.
    Report sites like this to Google if you discover them and they will be discounted.

Scritty

Scritty, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  14. Corestratagems

Corestratagems Active Member

Best Answers:
    Scritty is right on. I know people that have been penalized from sitewide footer links, blogroll etc. Keep in mind that your overall backlink profile is what matters. If 50% of your backlink profile is SWL's then you will be penalized. If you have a large natural backlink profile and an authoritative site that Google likes then it will take more than a few SWL's to get your site tanked.

Corestratagems, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  15. jasonvan

jasonvan Member

Best Answers:
    Blogroll and footer links do not look natural. As a result, they can definitely hurt your site. There was a time where Google simply ignored these types of links. Today, however, sites are losing their positions over things like this (especially after Penguin 2.1 in early October). Does this mean that sites can hurt other sites by using NEGATIVE SEO. Unfortunately, this is now the case. In their enthusiasm to rid the net of spam, Google has inadvertently created two new industries. Now we have SEO sites that offer link building services, link removal services, and link spamming services to hurt your competitors. I think this strategy of PUNISHING sites for bad backlinks is backfiring on Google, and the end result will be a web of way more spam as all webmasters can do now is "build great content", advertise their site using Adwords, and build links to hurt their competitors in the SERPS. Anything you yourself can do to boost your own site is a attempt to manipulate Google can get you knocked down.

jasonvan, Oct 29, 2013 IP