1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would be the pros or cons of having everything under the same domain ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by tobalsan, Oct 20, 2013.

I need your expert input on this one.
    What impact would hosting my landing page AND my blog on the same domain have ?

Oddly enough, i think I've never seen anyone doing that before. I keep seeing blogs targeting a niche under a certain domain name, and have their squeeze page on a totally different domain. Is there a reason for that ?

Solved! View solution.
    tobalsan, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  2. egjeff4

egjeff4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see a reason to do so. Some people might want to separate it in order to keep traffic sources seperately. However, I don't see a benefit for keeping the two separate. This is purely a feel and preference for you.

egjeff4, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  3. Kianu42

Kianu42 Member

Best Answers:
    SEO-wise, I don't think there is any difference. I've mostly observed quite the opposite: businesses having their forum, blog, news, etc. on one domain.
    It's easier to manage your properties this way, easier to check rankings, check links, track analytics.
    In fact, it is possible to still track stats separately for the blog and the site in Google Analytics.

Kianu42, Oct 25, 2013 IP
  4. tobalsan

tobalsan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah but I was especially thinking about squeeze pages

tobalsan, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    Hi - it really doesn't matter a jot where your squeeze page is hosted because you are not relying on search engine traffic to your squeeze page.

You will be sending people to your squeeze page from your blog or your emails or wherever. So where your squeeze page is hosted doesn't matter at all.

If marketers have their squeeze page on a different domain it's probably because they already have that squeeze page up on that domain anyway and it's easy is just to send all the traffic to that place, wherever it is.

Maybe they've got OptimisePress, or LeadPages installed on that other domain so it just makes things easier.

But in the end it's purely practical consideration as to where to host your squeeze page.

I suppose the final consideration might be if you are sending a ton of traffic to that page. Then, you might want to have it on a server which can handle a large amount of traffic – we would be talking about thousands of visitors here. So use a dedicated server.

Outside that, it really doesn't matter where you are squeeze pages hosted.

Does that help?

Malc

malcsimm, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    tobalsan likes this.
  6. tobalsan

Best Answers:
    Totally, thanks for the thorough explanation.

tobalsan, Nov 1, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.
  7. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi tobalsan - you are most welcome! And thanks for the Best Answer award! :)

A final point is: i you ever do send visitors off-domain to a squeeze page you will probably want to "no follow" that link so you don't leak Page Rank to your squeeze page. Unless you are trying to rank your squeeze page that's a waste of link juice :)

Take it easy and good luck.

Malc :)

malcsimm, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  8. tobalsan

Best Answers:
    malcsimm, thanks for the added precision. What you mean is that by linking to my squeeze page (which is low PR), this would affect my blog's PR ?

tobalsan, Nov 2, 2013 IP
  9. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, it would - and needlessly.

Any "do follow" link from your site sends PR to the receiving page. And you lose PR from the originating page.

It's best to keep it in the originating page - which you can do by ensuring the link to your squeeze page is "no follow".

Another point to bear in mind is that G penalises you for having dofollow links to affiliate pages. So if you have links to affiliate products, make sure they are 'no follow' too.

I make sure of this by using the Redirection plugin on Wordpress, and setting my affiliate links to be 302 redirects within that plugin. That does the job.

:)

malcsimm, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  10. lIIllIlIIlIlI

lIIllIlIIlIlI Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This could be a silly answer idk. Maybe people do it for tos of certain things? Maybe advertisers, or the place they are using media buys?

lIIllIlIIlIlI, Nov 4, 2013 IP