1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Starting a internet marketing forum

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by solomon.flik, Oct 27, 2013.

1. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    OP, I do like to see people coming up with new ideas, and creating new sites, however, this does not sound like it will be a good idea on your behalf. But tell me, why did you come to *this* forum to ask your question? What is it that this forum has that attracts you? then ask yourself, will your site be able to be draw in other people, and have them asking similar questions? What answers will you give them?

Too many people attempt to start forums, and it is *alot* of work, not just in creating the site, but in moderating the site and keeping the spam, and duplicate content down. Forums are unlike normal sites. In a normal site, you might just be aiming to try to gain visitors and earn from ad clicks, But with a forum, your trying to get users to engage and interact and the survival of the forum is based on this and this alone.
    Doing this successfully requires ALOT of work to kickstart, and you need to be able to convert those casual visitors from visitors to contributors... which is easier said then done.
    Lets say I visit your forum, and theres no content, why should I join? lets say you have lots of content, and I decide to join, and I post in a couple of threads, but there is no other members to reply, then why should I return?
    Most likely to help to GAIN and RETAIN members, you will need to look into postloop to give you a fake user base until a real one is established. And guess what, others have done this and FAILED, with nothing but massive bills to show for it. But without this strategy, you have very little chance for success, and with this strategy, well, you still have very little chance for success.

The odd thing is that the people that worked on postloop have earnt more then most of the forums that hired them, they exchange their time for money. Guess what, when running a forum, you wont be that lucky. You will have to work hard everyday to moderate the forum, police it for spam and unacceptable content. Even if you do start earning, it might be so low that it is not worth your time to continue.

simply having the funds for a forum license, is not the same as having the money to start a forum. What happens if you spend $1k on advertising, content (such as postloop), hosting, SEO and then if that fails to ignite a community what will you do then? I will be honest, I do not think you can succeed with $1k, as I have seen others fail after spending more then this. How much are you willing to burn on this project?
    Maybe its possible that if you work hard, with friends, with a $5k budget (for content, advertising and seo) that you might be able to be successful in creating a community. But I cannot guarantee it.
    And even if you did succeed, how do you measure your success? with amount of active members or with how much income you earn?
    One thing to note is that DP has revenue from premium membership and from advertisements, but offers something attractive to encourage people to pay for the premium membership. And unless your forum can offer something really unique to encourage premium membership, then you will be reliant on ad revenue alone. And if you burn up $5k to get started... theres no telling how long it would take to recover that from ad revenue. Just keep in mind that if you get cold feet before income comes in, you will never be able to sell the forum for what it cost to build. You will be lucky to get back 50% of the forum license cost.
    I will repeat this, if you build it and later try to sell it, noone here cares how much you spent on content, and time. All we look at is pretty much profit per month x 10. So this will be a massive gamble, and once you start investing in it, you *have to* continue it until it starts to be successful.

As another forum webmaster put it, as soon as the money ran out, he couldnt keep hiring the postloop posters, so as soon as the money ran out, the forum died. Now that guy is here on the forum somewhere, I cant find that post right now, but it summed it up perfectly. Even *if* there was a tiny chance of success for his forum, everything he spent became a complete and utter waste the instant he stopped investing in it. So, it comes down to what is your business plan and just how deep are your pockets.

Please, before you do anything, come up with a business plan.

Oh, and the last time I advised someone from DP not to start a forum, 6 months later they were selling their VB license in the DP bargain bin. I cant help but wonder, how much time, and money he lost.

matt_62, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    PhilipSEO, sarahk and jrbiz like this.
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I really, really like the idea of starting a forum in the OP's native language. When I think of all of the posts right here on DP with marketing questions from posters for whom English is obviously not their primary language, it seems like there is a reasonable need for people looking for help in their native language. Makes me wish that I could speak a language besides English!

jrbiz, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  3. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You could be onto something there, Perhaps a forum in "Gibberish" would do really well judging by some of the nonsense that gets posted on this forum:):rolleyes:

malky66, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    matt_62, jrbiz and ryan_uk like this.
  4. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent idea! Why?.......Because to *many* members, Gibberish is their primary language.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  5. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL...you know, as a sales and marketing guy, I listen to Gibberish all day long right here in the US. It is obviously a sub-dialect of English, as well. And people thought that Esperanto was the unifying language of the world. It is indeed Gibberish because it is used by a much larger group of people!

jrbiz, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk, Spoiltdiva and malky66 like this.
  6. Victor Genchev

Victor Genchev Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to learn some Gibberish too :) ... It would help me understand my clients :D I`ll be the biggest fan of the Gibberish forum ;)

Victor Genchev, Oct 28, 2013 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Funny, when he said he had money I was thinking US$20k. The marketing experts I know charge oodles and oodles and you'd burn through $20k in no time.

There's a property investment forum in NZ that uses vB and was on shared hosting - they quickly found they needed a dedicated server for it, despite relatively low traffic. They had to build up a moderation team and poured a huge amount of energy into it and eventually retained it as a hobby and focussed on their other businesses they started after it became clear they couldn't monetise it enough. Their niche has a large potential international market and, at the time, there were few other forums in the niche - even so they couldn't afford to advertise in other mediums (print, tv, etc) to draw those people online and to their forum.

One of the things about marketing is that you can either fight for market share or you can grow the market. Others have talked about how hard it will be to steal the market share from existing forums so all that is left is to grow the market - draw people who don't currently use forums to your forum and that will use another big chunk of your $20k.

So, I'd add my vote to the idea of starting your forum in whichever of the Indian languages you speak and cover all marketing, not just internet marketing. I imagine it would be a relief for some to not have to write in English - and just think - when people share their ideas they don't have to worry about the entire globe reading and replicating!

sarahk, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    malky66, jrbiz, ryan_uk and 1 other person like this.
  8. solomon.flik

solomon.flik Member

Best Answers:
    thank you man i got it

solomon.flik, Oct 28, 2013 IP
    PhilipSEO likes this.
  9. PhilipSEO

PhilipSEO Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No problem! But you should feel free to use to Like button to express agreement and thanks. It is right next to the reply button, and it makes your thanks count for more. :)

PhilipSEO, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  10. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    He can't like other posts until he has 3 likes himself (established status).

malky66, Oct 29, 2013 IP