1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Best place to hire programmer? Freelancer.com ?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by xrvel, Oct 27, 2013.

What is best place to hire freelancer for medium project (US $5,000.00 - $10,000.00 project)?
    I am trying freelancer.com because i think they have lowest fee (if we upgraded the membership), but i don't think their support is great (slow response), except their facebook support is fast.
    I've noticed elance.com and odesk.com but they have higher fee.

Thank you.

xrvel, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    dont' you think hiring on dp will be better?

buy/sell trade - programming section

competent123, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  3. xrvel

xrvel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No escrow-like feature so that's not safe for medium project.

xrvel, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  4. competent123

Best Answers:
    work on a milestone type work, so coder does x amount of coding you pay x amount

simple enough.

5. ThePHPMaster

ThePHPMaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If a project is over a thousand, I don't think it is a good idea. Even over 500 bucks I'll only deal with someone that has many positive marketplace reviews and no negative reviews. DB marketplace is lacking in:

- Escrow system
    - Real people/companies, confirmed by phone numbers, etc.. (which still can be faked, so look only for established bidders)
    - Arbitration system, when things go sideways and they do many times.

Freelancer is an OK place to use. I have used them many times, some with good results some with not. Make sure you look for someone with experience when selecting the bidders and avoid agencies.

ThePHPMaster, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  6. xrvel

xrvel Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Which programmer wants to start coding if the programmer hasn't seen real money, especially if the project is complicated? (the programmer could worry if the employer canceled the project etc, wasting the programmer's time).
    But on the other side, who wants to pay first if no escrow is used, even with milestone.
    Of course except both parties have known for a long time, imho.

How fast is their response if you sent them an e-mail? I've sent e-mail 3 days ago but no reply.

xrvel, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  7. competent123

Best Answers:
    it really depends on the programmer, work etc etc

you can try to talk to coders, see who agrees, if its overly complex , you can start with like make admin section take 100$ and so on, usually the frauds/useless ones dont' do even the first work, at least my experience.

i just ask them to do anything, 90% useless ones have an excuse like how busy they are.!

8. ThePHPMaster

ThePHPMaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I never had the reason to contact the system admins, usually I contact developers/coders. If they don't reply within 24 business hours I take them out from consideration. I would say to give them at least 2 business days to respond to you since they don't operate on the weekends (I assume).

ThePHPMaster, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  9. abdula

abdula Member

Best Answers:
    I find a programmer in WHT he is very talented I like him very much

abdula, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  10. ZyreX

ZyreX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    elance.com
    Higher fee, but better safe than sorry .

ZyreX, Oct 27, 2013 IP
  11. kutchbhi

kutchbhi Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with the previous poster. Elance.com is much much better than freelancer.
    However for such a big project I would go local OR if going the elance route, atleast make sure you are not paying any significant advance.

kutchbhi, Oct 28, 2013 IP
  12. Carrol09

Carrol09 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey mate,
    I hired few experts from SEOClerks last month for some programming project, and they were incredible! I recommend you to take a look at SEOClerks! Also, if you want me to share that gig with you, kindly inbox me :)

Cheers!

Carrol09, Nov 3, 2013 IP
  13. vjproduction

vjproduction Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Elance is probably the best. You can also try VWorker (ex RentACoder).

vjproduction, Nov 4, 2013 IP
  14. vishals

vishals Active Member

Best Answers:
    linkedin should be your best bet in this case. so you can see a programmer's credentials etc, and know how good they are.

If the project is in C/C++/Python, let me know, I could look at it without upfront.

vishals, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  15. grandseo

grandseo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It really depends on what type of work you are having if you have a normal project go for freelancer for big projects i would prefer elance and very big project i would love to hire real programmers at my premises

grandseo, Nov 14, 2013 IP
  16. eBooster

eBooster Peon

Best Answers:
    As a programmer, I believe a site with an escrow system will be the best option. Additionally, few percent as upfront payment will motivate the programmer (after you selected him carefully/professionally). You must mutually agreed on a schedule for your project and try to split this last in modules.

eBooster, Nov 16, 2013 IP
  17. jonrod

jonrod Member

Best Answers:
    Staff.com and Odesk should be the perfect options if you're wanting to hire someone within your budget range. But, the main difference between the two (Staff.com and Odesk) is that, Staff.com hires full time and part time staff while Odesk is focused only in part time hires. However, both sites are good but Staff.com has a more better way of recruiting freelancers/programmers/developers etc. since they have a tough process for their staff before a client hires them.

jonrod, Nov 17, 2013 IP
  18. smonica

smonica Peon

Best Answers:
    Elance is a good place to start, but it's also huge and has a whole lot of listings. Of course, that also means a lot of people use it. In my experience, it's good for getting jobs done quickly, but it's an over-populated site, which makes it hard to gauge how good quality will be.

If you're looking for someplace that will yield higher quality results (though there are a lot less people on there), I recommend Ebyline. The cost is often more than on Elance, but the quality of work is higher overall. Freelancers have to complete an application process to join, and there are a lot of vetted professionals on there with good experience so there's little oversight. They know how to do their jobs well.

Since you're worried about fees, there's also Fiverr, which gets you really cheap (starting at $5) and quick work. You get what you pay for though, and the quality might not be that great. In the end, though, it just depends what you need.

smonica, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  19. EricBruggema

EricBruggema Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are willing to spend such amount of money? why not search localy? see people in person? talk / discuss in person? I rather spend lots of money on nearby companies then ones across the world... why? couple reasons, faster feedback/help even in your own language (LOL), better for your country/place where u live. And maby for next projects you don't have to search the internet... except if you want to sit on the first row for less money... Just a thought...

Sometimes spending a bit more will result in much better products!

EricBruggema, Nov 19, 2013 IP
  20. datafile

datafile Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    One team I found on freelancer.com (formely RentaCoder.com) did a good job in the past. If you need their contact PM me

datafile, Nov 19, 2013 IP