1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about Buying Deleted Domains

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gorrillamcd, Oct 24, 2013.

Disclaimer: I'm familiar with web development and systems administration, but I'm an SEO newb and am just now learning.

I was watching a video on quicksprout.com/university today about Buying Deleted domains to help your SEO, either by 301-redirecting the domain to your site or creating content on the domain for a "private blog network". I understand how it works and that it could be considered an underhanded SEO practice.

However, they didn't really explain in the video if the domain has to be relevant to your site's topic. I imagine it would have to be in order to help in the rankings, but it was never mentioned. For instance, I have a web development related website/blog. If I were to buy a deleted domain about real-estate (that had good backlinks and minimal spam), what effect would that have on my site's ranking?

This is mainly hypothetical because I'm just curious. I don't plan on implementing this in the near future as there are many other things I need to do SEO-wise before I start getting into the weird strategies.

Solved! View solution.
    gorrillamcd, Oct 24, 2013 IP
    I can say that its not necessary to have the expired domain be relevant to the niche you're backlinking to, but going forward I am sure it will mean more and more. So if I can find an expired domain with a good backlink profile and good DA/PA etc, and it happens to be in the niche or closely related to the niche I want to backlink to then it's even better but if not you can still get away with taking an expired domain that used to be about real estate and turn it in to a site about camping and the great outdoors.

What I try to do is combine both options. So I may find an expired domain that meets my requirements for metrics and backlink profile etc but let's say the domain was about constipation. Well a constipation domain (great example huh?) doesn't help me but I turn that expired domain in to a more general health related site that could have constipation articles and wart removal etc and of course the content is all unique and the site would pass manual review from Google and it's not so much of a stretch that a domain that once wrote about constipation is now a more general health type of site which can link to other quality health sites as in my money sites or client money sites. That's really what you should be shooting for unless you find a ton of great expired domains for your specific niche rather easily.

Corestratagems, Oct 24, 2013 IP
    gorrillamcd likes this.
  3. Corestratagems

Corestratagems Active Member

Best Answers:
    I forgot to mention that using expired domains as 301 redirects works but it will eventually be discounted and the money site will be penalized. I know people who use this tactic in a burn and churn method that works well but they constantly have to keep a new money site waiting for new redirects once the original site is penalized and they don't redirect the main domain, they create subdomains and redirect those.

Corestratagems, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  4. gorrillamcd

gorrillamcd Member

Best Answers:
    Intersting. So if 301 redirects are temporary, that only leaves building up the domains to make a private blog network. But doesn't google penalize for that too (isn't is a link farm technique)? If that's the case, this is a bogus technique, as neither benefit lasts very long and the second method could even end up hurting your sites ranking. Am I understanding this right?

gorrillamcd, Oct 29, 2013 IP
  5. Corestratagems

Best Answers:
    I cant write a long response on this atm but building out private networks for backlinking is not a short term thing if done right and doing it right doesn't need to be expensive. I will write a longer response later but you can definitely avoid penalties from using a private blog network if you do it correctly.

6. Corestratagems

Best Answers:
    The way to build up your own private network is to buy expired domains or domains in auction that have good metrics (PA/DA) and a clean backlink profile (very important) in the general niches that you need. You don't have to limit yourself to only domains that were once specifically in the specialized niches you need. For example you can pick up a domain that used to be about genital warts and turn it in to a general health domain. It's not unusual for a site to broaden their content in to the bigger niche. Then you find cheap hosting ($10 a year hosting) on separate hosting providers on different backbones (webhostingtalk.com is a good place to start). You may need to ask what the IP would be if you were to sign up before signing up. This allows you to make sure your IP diversity is big. I use hosts all around the world that are all on different backbones. Then you build each domain as a separate site with unique articles relevant to the niches you need and give yourself links embedded in articles relevant to your niche. Keep the sites updated with regular content, a real theme etc.

Obviously you need to have enough money sites or a good enough niche to support this. You'll be surprised how good 10 of those sites will work to move you up in the SERPS. Of course all other things have to be in line as well. Good backlink profile, natural looking anchor text distribution etc. You wouldn't just put up 10 blogroll links with the same anchor and expect not to be slapped. After Penguin of last year I built my own networks out and I havent looked back. You can hire VA's to run them once you have a process down and use tools like managewp (paid) or wpremote (free) to manage them. Just build them out like they were real sites on different hosts and its well worth it. You can even get them ranking for keywords and getting a little bit of traffic to make money on their own so that they pay for themselves. Even if you don't each domain will cost about $20 a year for registration and hosting.

gorrillamcd likes this.