1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

20% Pinterest users are male, will it increase?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by nase685, Oct 5, 2013.

I'm a guy and I like to use Pinterest for ideas and inspiration. But out of millions of users, why do you think approximatley 20% Pinterest users are male? and will it increase or decrease?

nase685, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  2. rvignesh9008

rvignesh9008 Member

Best Answers:
    Pinterest is a girlish kind of social media. But if your targeted audience are fashion, food lovers, interior design it is the best place to promote.

rvignesh9008, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  3. Dajon

Dajon Member

Best Answers:
    20% male....and about 30% fake female account created by male for making money...how do you think? :)

Dajon, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  4. Kevin Sullivan

Kevin Sullivan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There is NO way to predict that, or in my opinion even ATTEMPT to speculate... 10 Years Ago I doubt many people thought that Facebook would have over a Billion users, MySpace would be left in its' wake, or that the fastest growing demographic on Facebook is people 35+ (On a site that when it started only allowed college students as members). Pinterest is the fastest growing Social Media Site in the mediums short history. I may have misunderstood but it sounds like you are concerned with the number of Males on the site because of how you may be viewed by other people for taking part on a site that is predominantly females. There is over 10 Million people on Pinterest & 72% of them are females (So it's 28% Males, which is not bad at all), 20% is actually the number of women in the WORLD that are using Pinterest (Pew Internet & American Life Project survey of U.S. adults). However, those numbers don't really mean jack if the site is providing you with the content you are looking for in your preferred medium for viewing said content. While knowing the Male to Female ratio is a good statistic from a marketing perspective, I don't think there is any cause for concern, because if Pinterest continues to grow at its' current rate, it won't be long before it has 1 Billion users, which would leave you with 280 Million Males to target. If you like the site, enjoy it & don't let the dominant gender on the site be a deciding factor for you. If you enjoy the site, stick around. I'm actually going to be signing up there tonight, it's on my ToDo List! Have a good night.
    -Kevin

Kevin Sullivan, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  5. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    I think it might help if they add more sports and current events topics that are more gender-neutral. Otherwise, marketers who reach out to men need to start posting things that would draw men into wanting to use Pinterest.

Alyssa Lochmore, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  6. Hollow

Hollow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hope not.

Hollow, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  7. nase685

nase685 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Amen! I appreciate the insight. There is definitely no concern given the predominant female users on pinterest...besides that is only one piece of demographic info. Although I was curious about that particular stat because it being one of the fastest growing social media, there can be some missed opportunities for marketing if pinterest is portrayed as a girlish-scrap-booking type of site (just one way I've heard it described) that is used mostly by women.

nase685, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  8. Kevin Sullivan

Kevin Sullivan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks Nase!
    I do agree there will be missed opportunities predicated upon the reputation or stigma that is attached to Pinterest. In response however, I feel the only people who WILL miss opportunities to market on that site are primarily those people not insightful enough to realize the MASSIVE power Pinterest has. It's not just the fastest growing Social Media Site Online.... It's the fastest growing, in the history of Social Media, and while it could be argued that "Social Media is still in it's relative infancy." True, but Pinterest leverages two very powerful factors, that I do NOT see changing!
    1) Brain chemistry: We need visuals to help our brains not only process but also make connections between sets of information
    2) Narcissism lol: The one thing people love is to not only talk about themselves, but share with and connect with other people through common interests, during which time they can talk about themselves
    Social Media allows people to develop personal, casual, intimate and professional relationships with anyone, anywhere, and at anytime. Pinterest is so successful because the vast majority of people flat out prefer to interpret information from visuals as opposed to other means of communication, and I don't see people getting less lazy lol. From birth we are taught everything, as well as what the relationship between things is through visual displays or demonstration. If there was no modern system for language, we would be left with the use of visuals to communicate. Social Media may well be in it's infancy, but any major change in popular social media would most likely result from a cultural or societal shift in paradigms, which doesn't exactly happen overnight. If anything (& this is simply my opinion) Social Media will, grow in relation to technology which continues to grow at incredible speeds. Additionally I don't think that social media's growth is entirely reliant on technology and will likely surpass it as we already have the tools available to access pretty much any Social Media Network from just about anywhere in the world.
    The success and growth of any Social Network is certainly going to fluctuate with societal trends & right now Pinterest is an easy way for people to share information that allows them to connect with one another, learn, educate, or express themselves. Also I don't know of any medium that is available with current technology that people enjoy as much as the visual medium(pics/graphics/video). Sites like Pinterest, YouTube, Flickr, Instagram or any of the hundreds of networks currently available that harness this form of communication are here to stay.
    -Kevin

P.S. I hope no one took offense to my use of the word "Narcissism" in my generalization of People as a WHOLE, and no person individually... If by chance you did take offense then I am terribly sorry.... To be the one to inform you, you ARE in fact a Narcissist and while this is just my opinion & I'm no Psychologist, however... Based on your interpretation of my statement... You think of yourself as above/greater than humanity...You Should Get Over Yourself. lol ;)

Kevin Sullivan, Oct 8, 2013 IP
  9. fireworks-styles

fireworks-styles Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    seems only natural that that stat will go up because it cant go down much can it?

fireworks-styles, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  10. taelabukg

taelabukg Peon

Best Answers:

taelabukg, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  11. ImTheBrilliantest

ImTheBrilliantest Peon

Best Answers:
    Hard to speculate. It could go either way. The dominance of females on it, I believe, is because the most common perception of Pinterest is that it's filled with wedding ideas, fashion, and decorations. It's not only that, but that's what lots of people think it is. It's true to an extent, but there are also comics and infographics and things of that nature. But generally speaking, the only things you really see a lot of are fashion and things most would label as "girly"

ImTheBrilliantest, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  12. Victor Genchev

Victor Genchev Peon

Best Answers:
    A lot of fake female accounts in pinterest only for the money.... And also girls like to share pretty pictures and staff.. But I think the % of male will increase :)

Victor Genchev, Oct 24, 2013 IP
  13. Franklin_twister

Franklin_twister Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also noticed that Pinterest is dominating by women and I think the cause is some famous boards I found that most of the boards or brand type are female kind off like confectionery, fashion, clothing etc, that is most repined by the women. But now men are also attracted towards Pinterest because of its significant role in marketing and in future I think male will dominate Pinterest.

Franklin_twister, Nov 28, 2013 IP