1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why did this site steal my content?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Wecleangrout, Oct 20, 2013.

I was Googling some keywords and found a site that stole my blog post and I have no idea why.
    The links I added in the posts now just point to the same site.
    Here is the link. I can remove the link if it helps this site with it. Geez. Tired of people stealing from me.

Wecleangrout, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  2. adsenseplr

adsenseplr Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can report this content infringement to their ISP, which you can find out who that is via a 'whois' search. I did this when an ebook I'd written was posted online - It got the site taken down in 24 hours. The ISP's have to take this seriously or face legal action themselves.
    Hope that helps

adsenseplr, Oct 20, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  3. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would say a fair amount of the internet is copied from someone else...
    and they do this for obvious reasons...they do not want to pay for it....
    they can scrape content so they can put on their own site because they
    probably do not want to pay for it, or even know how to be original....
    in other words, they do not want to earn their credits when they can just steal them....

dscurlock, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  4. Wecleangrout

Wecleangrout Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply's everyone. Have another question.
    I still want that content on my site. Should I delete it so I am not somehow linked with this bogus site?
    Also, is there a way to protect content in the future. Maybe a script that prevent copy/paste somehow?
    Surely someone that steals content will not bother to type it all out again.

Wecleangrout, Oct 23, 2013 IP
  5. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Have a read of this (and there is also a video to watch):
    http://www.seroundtable.com/google-scraper-success-17558.html

It's Matt Cutts discussing web scrapers.

If I was you, I would keep the content on your site.

Scripts that try to block copy and paste are annoying for the user experience, so I would not recommend doing this. They also won't block scrapers. Instead, try blocking the IP address (through .htaccess for example) if you can identify it (it might not always be the same one that the website is hosted on), but they might change IPs. This is how I dealt with a scraper in the past (fortunately, they weren't storing a copy of the content locally, so I didn't have to deal with takedowns, just blocked all their IPs and it rendered the pages useless).

Also, include internal links (so instead of "/whatever/page.html" it would be "http://example.com/whatever/page.html"), so at least you get credit back. Although some scrapers will rewrite these, but not all.

Don't forget about your RSS feed - include a footer link back to your site and the original post in the RSS feed template.

Also look at using rel="canonical", albeit this will only help if the whole page is scraped (and the URLs aren't rewritten).

Good luck!

ryan_uk, Oct 24, 2013 IP
    bluffspot likes this.
  6. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    not only should you keep your content, always insert your link at the bottom of your content...
    After all, you know at some point it will get copied, and most likely your link too....
    So you may as well get a backlink out of the deal that you did not approve to begin with....

dscurlock, Oct 24, 2013 IP