1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is the Best way to learn HTML5?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by aaronangelle, Oct 21, 2013.

Any one tells me that

What is the Best way to learn HTML5?

I am thankful to him.

aaronangelle, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  2. Erin Catorina

Erin Catorina Member

Best Answers:
    The answer is very simple just follow tutorial sites, if you are a beginner, then w3schools is best for you. Otherwise, a lot of other tutorial sites are also available. Moreover, you can find many video tutorials on YouTube.

Erin Catorina, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  3. bitronictech

bitronictech Active Member

Best Answers:
    I tend to agree with Erin, that the best way to learn html5 is by reading various tutorials. Another important thing in the process of learning html5 or any language for that matter is actually using the language. if you're really serious about learning html5 I think is pertinent to setup a test server on your home PC and try building a few websites. Also you may find it useful to look at how other professional designers have structured templates. You can do this by going to a place like theme forest and looking at the templates that are available and looking at the code was used to make them.

Once you have the basics down pat looking at other designers have designed professional looking websites help you do the same.

bitronictech, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  4. gorrillamcd

gorrillamcd Member

Best Answers:
    4 Tips when learning any programming language (even though this is a markup language, it still applies):

• Shoot for professionalism, both in your own coding and when searching out information on the internet. There are tons of tutorials on the internet, but a lot of them aren't any good and are teaching you bad habits while coding (w3schools is an example). Learn good programming habits now so you don't have to unlearn them later. You won't be perfect, but you'll be improving this way.
    • Have a purpose: Why do you want to learn HTML5? Whenever you have a specific objective, you tend to learn better, working harder to make sure you get it right. Think of a project idea that you would love to build and shoot for that. When you run into problems on your project, that's an opportunity to learn something.
    • Don't get involved in politics. When I was first learning Rails, I wasted a lot of time because I would read one tutorial and learn a certain method and then a couple days later read another article on how that method was bad and everyone should use this other method. Don't worry about that yet. You focus on the basics. If you get to some point where there are multiple solutions, do a bit of research, pick one and stick with it at least until after your first project. After that, then you can explore other methods or options.
    • Make sure it's up-to-date:Technology is constantly changing. Articles that are more than 2-3 years old might already be outdated depending on their content/topic. They're still mostly useful, but take what they say with a grain of salt. Articles older than 5-6 years old are almost definitely out of date when it comes to web technologies and especially with HTML5 since it's fairly new.
    Now, for some learning resources.

• https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/web | Mozilla Developr Network: It's got some great references for learning HTML5, CSS3, and some javascript. If you have a specific aspect of HTML5 you're wanting to learn, check that.
    • https://www.codeschool.com/courses/functional-html5-css3 | CodeSchool: They cost money to enroll, but have excellent lessons on many different languages/topics. Some of their courses are free, but the one for HTML5 is not I believe.
    • http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/HTML5-CSS3-Fundamentals-Development-for-Absolute-Beginners | Microsoft Channel9: Microsoft's development resource for "absolute beginners". I haven't watched the videos, but it seems good and it's from a reputable source.
    • http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/ | TutsPlus: A network of tutorial sites on multiple topics. They produce some quality tutorials and have some in-depth from-scratch tutorial series that take you from initial concept to working site. Most of their stuff is good quality, but I have noticed some articles in recent years that aren't up to their standards they normally have.
    • http://stackoverflow.com/ | StackOverflow: A question/answer site for programers. If you have a problem you can't find the answer to anywhere else, ask it here and you'll usually get a solution. Be warned, before posting a question there, be sure to read their FAQ as they close questions quite liberally that are off-topic (it's not a site for discussion). Some newbies feel hurt when that happens, but don't worry, that's just the way they are there and since you read the FAQ before you posted, you won't have any trouble at all.

gorrillamcd, Oct 21, 2013 IP
    bitronictech likes this.
  5. Luca tall

Luca tall Member

Best Answers:
    A few resources to learn HTML5 are
    w3schools and youtube are completely free
    Lynda and Learnpact are paid service.

Luca tall, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  6. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, the lynda ads are everywhere. Anyone tried the free or paid tuts yet? Any feedback?
    @gorrillamcd thanks for the links, I will certainly have a look since I need to brush up my HTML5 for my sites.

WebBuddy, Oct 22, 2013 IP
  7. gorrillamcd

gorrillamcd Member

Best Answers:
    I had a trial of codeschool.com to try out any of their courses a few months back. It's a really good system. It's uses video instruction with an interactive quiz afterwards where you practice the actual code learned in the video. It has somewhat of a game aspect to it, with points and badges and such. All in all, a very good system.

Tuts+ Premium content is generally very good. It's the same as most free tutorials, just with a LOT more depth and detail. I remember now that they actually have a complete HTML5 crash course for free. Well, it turns out only the first few lessons are free now. It must have been a promotional thing when they first launched it. Glad I downloaded the videos while I had access. ;)

As far as Lynda, I honestly don't know. I've never used them before.

gorrillamcd, Oct 22, 2013 IP