1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What do you think of my website?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by WonderingCoder, Oct 18, 2013.

I've been here for a while, so I don't intend this to be spam..

The site has been twerked around the HTML soo much, I want to get your input on it!!

http://www.101baseballnews.com

What do you think? pros and cons, and what should i fix?

thanks!

WonderingCoder, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  2. WebDeveloperSahil

WebDeveloperSahil Active Member

Best Answers:
    It looks good man, I don't think any bad over there.
    I like the theme, logo. Simple, professional and nice.

WebDeveloperSahil, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  3. Lamprophony

Lamprophony Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like the design and content. One issue that I noticed is that the footer isn't entirely dynamic, there seems to be some white space under it on some pages. (If this is intentional, just ignore me :p)[​IMG]

Lamprophony, Oct 19, 2013 IP
  4. WonderingCoder

WonderingCoder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks lamp, I agree with the footer... It should be more dynamic.. Is there anyway I can fix that?

WonderingCoder, Oct 19, 2013 IP
  5. urock_ltd

urock_ltd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    as for BaseBall NEWS, it looks impressive
    My review for your site is A+ , nice work my friend,
    for the footer i agree should be more dynamic.
    also i guess there is a small type mistake check picture, a Small "r" on top left
    Untitled-1.jpg

urock_ltd, Oct 19, 2013 IP
  6. WonderingCoder

WonderingCoder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot!!

Yes I noticed that r..how can I get rid of that?

7. urock_ltd

urock_ltd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    its actually on top header,
    so it must be somewhere in header file or related codes in header, Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    urock_ltd, Oct 19, 2013 IP
  8. WonderingCoder

WonderingCoder Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks! I'll look into that

9. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Gets a thumbs up for clean consistent layout and color choices, but the inaccessible fixed width and inaccessible fixed metric (px) fonts throw anything resembling accessibility out the window. The gibberish use of numbered headings doesn't help matters from a navigation standpoint, much less the relative lack of semantics.

Takes it's sweet time loading too -- hardly a shock with the massively bloated 147k of markup to deliver a mere 5.4k of plaintext and maybe a dozen content images -- making the markup some ten to fifteen times larger than what should be used. Much of that can be blamed on crap like static style and static scripting in the markup, but the endless pointless DIV and classes for NOTHING certainly aren't helping matters. Literally about 130k of what's being sent in the markup belongs outside the markup or on the cutting room floor. Likewise the completely ridiculous 196 files totaling over two megabytes explains the minute plus it takes to download here -- especially since it's over 3mb once decompressed. Handshaking ALONE can run anywhere from 19 seconds to 196 seconds (real world guesstimate/average being 38 seconds) on a first-load. (and here it looks like ~40 seconds is what I'm getting).... and since that's handshaking that's REGARDLESS of connection 'speed'. (case in point I allegedly now have a 25mbps connection). Even sadder most of that waste can be blamed on "gee ain't it neat" scripting and fatass garbage libraries like jQuery... making this a poster child for everything wrong with building sites using those techniques, frameworks and other nonsense that as you'll find I keep saying, has no malfing business on a website in the first place! 26 separate javascript files totalling over 1.9 megabytes on top of the 40+k of scripting in the markup only leaves one asking "FOR WHAT?!?"

The 225k of CSS in 7 files is also head scratching easily being ten times what a site this simple needs... but both the scripts and endless pointless style for nothign are just telltales of slapping together off the shelf solutions any old way; part of why I don't advocate that approach to development.

Basically you've got a good concept, it's just mated to poor execution.

deathshadow, Oct 19, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  10. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    deathshadow gave a lot of good input, so not much to say other than it looks nice, but it's not responsive. As well as helping accessibility, this will help your visitors are you are sure to get a lot of tablet and smartphone traffic.

I would recommend that you do a re-design, but under the hood to reduce to excessive amount of code and make the site responsive, so it works properly and looks good on different screen sizes.

All the best.

ryan_uk, Oct 19, 2013 IP
  11. lifesstudio

lifesstudio Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    very light, you need a background grey or same it to easy to see :)

lifesstudio, Oct 20, 2013 IP
  12. DesignForLife

DesignForLife Member

Best Answers:
    I like the overall site design.
    The title "IOI" is odd to me. 101 vs IOI you could say is style but perhaps find a different 101 font.
    I would put half of the header navigation tabs in a footer navigation.
    Also get some advertising to put in the box "your ad here" or leave blank until you get some.
    I know that we are all doing it for the money but let's pretend otherwise.

DesignForLife, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  13. Erin Catorina

Erin Catorina Member

Best Answers:
    You have built it nicely; however, one thing that I have noted is that you have left wide spaces in the left and right margin also in the footer, which looks a little weird. Otherwise, your site scores 10 out of 10 points.

Erin Catorina, Oct 21, 2013 IP
  14. USL Services

USL Services Peon

Best Answers:
    It really looks nice, just one problem for me, its a slow loader. Else the site looks very good.

USL Services, Oct 22, 2013 IP