1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Fed up with a client and constant flip-flopping - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Senobia, Oct 17, 2013.

Once upon a time, there was a writer and a client. The client was a very good, well-paying long term regular client. Company did some shifting around and now a new person has been in charge of the content writing aspects and contracting the writer. The new person drags their ass in moving on to the next part - and there's always a next part, giving all kinds of excuses as to why it's not ready to go yet.

Just when the writer is about to write them off and forget about the gig, realizing they are no longer dependable - just sporadic at best, new person fires off an email saying, "Hey! Sorry for the delay! We'll get to it by the end of the week for sure!"

Rinse. Repeat.

If you were said writer, how long would you put up with the flip flops before you 1. say, "Hey - yanno, get someone else to do it. I can't always be sure I can work you in because your gig takes a lot of planning on my part and I kinda need a heads up when it's coming so I don't get behind or over-extend myself" or 2. raise their rate (and they are getting a very generous discount already)?

Or third - would you just suck it up and go along and let them string you along as long as they wanted to?

Thoughts?

Senobia, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  2. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's like getting stuck in the middle of a swamp. I found myself in similar situations when I kind of could not afford to refuse the gig, but it was becoming so stressful I could not find joy in that money anymore. To me, it amounts to the profit-stress ratio - if the profit does not justify the stress I put myself through to tolerate the client's unreliable behavior, I let it go. On the other hand, can you leave that door open? If they are unreliable, you are free from commitment as well. If you can accept the order, you take it. If not, sorry guys you'll have to wait.

Vlasic, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  3. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on how much you really need the money, sometimes you'll have to just deal with it. Not just for the said writer but for any kind of freelancer that's in a similar situation, it's probably not worth the stress. Why not just be upfront about it and explain to them you need more time for planning? Tell them how you feel, in that situation the writer can either try to work something out by explaining the situation, lose the client, or raise the rate and take a chance at losing the client. The best choice is to talk it over and work something out that works for both the writer and the client.

cronik, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  4. Vlasic

Vlasic Active Member

Best Answers:
    Provided they haven't talked it over, yet. What if they have? What if the client just doesn't give a damn about a writer's workload, schedule, deadlines, and all that 'personal stuff' is just sentimental crap to him? If a client treats you with blatant indifference, you are an inferior impersonal digital monkey to him. Very bad for self-esteem.

Vlasic, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  5. TextServices

TextServices Active Member

Best Answers:
    I will speak to the client / my handler directly over the phone or if not possible, by email or IM the moment the jerking around bit starts. I nip it in the butt before it has the chance to become one big frustrating mess. I tell them in a polite, but firm way, that just like them, I have a schedule. This is my income. How I make my living. It's not a hobby. I'm willing to work with them and be reasonable, but there is a limit to the delays and empty promises. Just like I respect their deadline for completed work, they need to respect that I have a work schedule and other clients. I always remain professional, (even though some clients make it difficult), but firm with them. If you're too forgiving and understanding, they will keep jerking you around. Even in times where I seriously needed the money, I nipped the jerking around bit in the butt early. Some people just simply need things spelled out for them. I don't announce an increase in pricing or tell them I no longer wish to work for them because it just pisses people off and burns bridges. I give the client a chance for things to improve after the issue(s) have been aired and then go from there. If the client still can't get their act together, I end the relationship.

TextServices, Oct 17, 2013 IP
    cronik likes this.
  6. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the replies so far.

A couple of people PM'd me to ask if this was an Australian company...similar experience I guess? Not sure why/if it matters, but this company is based in London and no, time zones are not the problem.

Senobia, Oct 17, 2013 IP
  7. Julie Anne

Julie Anne Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't make it my top priority. I would just explain that I don't have time right now and then maybe check in with the client when I do have time.

Julie Anne, Dec 14, 2013 IP
  8. Steven Johns

Steven Johns Member

Best Answers:
    I have to admit that I've done this, but not maliciously. I would have a client ask for SEO or writing services or the like, and I'd go out and find someone to do the task. At the end I would end up caught in the middle: I'm getting jerked around by my client, and unfortunately I'd have to jerk the freelancer around as well as a result.

The only way to deal with it, in my opinion, is to simply accept it for what it is: a show of interest, not a sale. Until you're paid or have reached a conclusive agreement, do not consider it to be active or pending. Take on other tasks as if you have no other obligations. If they finally contact you and are ready, then that's great. If they have a short time requirement, explain to the person what the situation is and that they can either wait or pay a higher rate for an express service. Or maybe forgive the express service the first time, and inform them that it is what will take place in the future.

Steven Johns, Dec 14, 2013 IP