1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Foundation CSS or Bootstrap CSS as a website foundation?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by bitronictech, Oct 14, 2013.

?

Foundation CSS or Bootstrap CSS as a website foundation?

1. Foundation CSS

20.0%
  2. Bootstrap CSS

20.0%
  3. Other or Custom

60.0%
    I have used both Foundation and Bootstrap in building various websites. Both stylesheet sets are a nice foundation for good web design. I also ass custom CSS on top. I recently have come to prefer Foundation, I was wondering how other DigitalPoint users feel about this?

Solved! View solution.
    bitronictech, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  2. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Neither of those bloated, PRESENTATIONAL halfwit manure have any business on a website in the first blasted place. They all piss all over the markup and CSS, make it HARDER to style instead of easier, and on the whole I've never grasped how ANYONE can see benefit in their use. You can write simpler CSS, maintain proper separation of presentation from content, provide proper graceful degradation and make far, FAR more versatile layouts without them -- so why the **** do people use this ****?!?

Oh yeah, that's right, when writing the markup to which they are applying style they've not extracted their craniums from 1997's rectum, and do idiotic halfwit nonsense like dicking around drawing pretty pictures in photoshop before they even have semantic markup of their content.

deathshadow, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  3. bitronictech

bitronictech Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow the anger endemic in your post is startling! I just think using them is an easy way to get a decently styled site up and running in a few days instead of a few weeks. Yes, especially for those between the skill level of dreamweaver and NotePad++ CSS Guru.

Condescending on people for lack of skill is somewhat childish. However you do make good points.

bitronictech, Oct 16, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
    I am not nearly as vehement in my opinion as ds is. My early investigation of several of these [hell, I don't know what you'd call them], revealed a messes of silliness that have no redeeming social value. I have since been required to debug or edit a few instances and found them to be royal pitas.

HTML and css are simply too easy to learn to use properly. There is no sane reason to create a steaming pile of code that is comparitively difficult to maintain.

cheers,

gary

kk5st, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  5. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Comes from two decades of cleaning up other people's messes.

I don't get how making more code, using more code, and throwing accessibility and semantics out the window in the process speeds things up any -- it takes as long if not longer to learn them, it takes more code (particularly in the markup) to use them, and it teaches the disastrously bad habit of using classes in a presentational manner. Unless one still has their head wedged up 1997 style presentational markup -- sleazing out HTML 3.2 and slapping 4 tranny or 5 lip-service on it, and has not embraced any of the progress of the past decade and a half... well, then that's the only way any 'benefit' could come from it.

My ire isn't so much for the nubes, but for the predators who prey on the ignorance of such nubes promoting the use of such idiocy when they should know better. That this type of asshat bullshit even EXISTS is disgusting, nauseating, and does nothing but take people who don't know any better and lead them down the garden path to failure.

Admittedly, I say the same thing about jQuery, Prototype, YUI, etc, etc... At best they are sleazeball shortcuts that will bite you in the ass sooner than later, at worst they are nube predator bull that effectively lets you walk through a pile and smear it all over your website's new carpets.

deathshadow, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  6. ElMaZaGaNgI

ElMaZaGaNgI Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Personal Opinion: If you need to build this web site as quickly as possible but still it should be looking good or you need to build a landing page in one day, Or you are not very good with CSS (while it's an easy language to learn there are still some tricky stuff), you go ahead and use Twitter Bootstrap or foundation. If you care about unique look of your web site, you can still achieve that using BS or F. but you might as well have your own CSS structure.

ElMaZaGaNgI, Oct 20, 2013 IP