1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Advice needed on Investing in Websites

Discussion in 'General Business' started by MiletNZ, Oct 15, 2013.

Hi guys,

I've been thinking about buying a couple of websites off Flippa (or here/elsewhere, not sure where the best place is?) to earn a bit of Passive Income on the side without having to do a lot of design work myself. I'm not looking at high end sites that earn in excess of $1K per month or anything like that, more like in the low hundreds. Mostly just to cover my online expenses and give me a bit of money to play with - that the wife doesn't need to know about!

I have only been looking for a week or so, just watching at what sort of sites are out there and how much they are going for. Have done some googling and searching on this site but I like to ask questions still :)

Basically I need some advice on what to look for and what to stay away from before I invest my cash. Do I stay away from these 1 month old, "turn-key" sites that some of these users look like they have put together in 10minutes?

Thanks in advance!

MiletNZ, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  2. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1- understand what you are investing in - they spend 7$ on a site and sell it for 30$ - thats 5 times their return on investment, can you buy it for 30 and sell it for 60-600$ ?

if not, then dont' bother

2- dont' rush in sites on " potential" i got potential to be the president, doenst' mean i will become one, or someone will start to invest in me to make me president will it?

buy sites which are making money, which have content, and which have traffic from search engines,
    also, be sure what do you see yourself as, a business owner, or an investor, you cannot be both.
    in short , be clear on what is it that you are buying.

competent123, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  3. MiletNZ

MiletNZ Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for your answer :)

I definitely don't want to purchase one of those cheap turnkey sites - I guess I more wanted to know if anyone here actually bothers with them.

The few sites I have on my watchlists at the moment are aged sites, with content, traffic and earnings. When you put it like that, then I guess I am a business owner - purchasing sites for passive income?

MiletNZ, Oct 15, 2013 IP
  4. competent123

competent123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    i think you missed the point of that line business owner and investor

business owner = someone who invests his TIME in something
    investor = someone who invests his money to get a better return.

yes people with an eye does actually buy these turnkey sites if they have a well set plan on what they want to do with it.

for ex, i sell wallpaper website for 50$ thats three times the profit on my cost

buyer keeps it for 6 months, and then sells it for 3-500$, thats 6-10 times the profit on his investment.

he sucks at making sites, i suck at promotion ( just an example to make you understand it)

we both end up making 3-10times our investment,

also, dont' stress too much on age etc etc, market factors in everything, so i will take a 1 month old domain getting 1000 users a day over a 5 year domain bringing in 10 users a day.
    traffic, traffic source, earnings. only 3 things you should factor in while purchasing a site..
    think about it.

competent123, Oct 15, 2013 IP