1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Most Competitive Niches

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by mareks12, Sep 19, 2013.

What do you think are the most competitive niches to try and compete in online? Like, it is hardly worth trying since the competition is so fierce.

Today I booked an air travel ticket and was in awe as to the sophistication of the ticket booking and cost comparison sites.

So I think air flight tickets, and maybe car insurance would be the most difficult niches to compete in.

Your thoughts ...

mareks12, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  2. smoozoid

smoozoid Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Keep in mind: competition isn't always a bad thing. So long as there's not a huge barrier to entry, like with the airline ticket stuff, you can improve upon the existing services and do even better than them.

Consider that competition means a lot of people want what's being offered. There's always room to improve on that!

I would recommend reading "The Millionaire Fastlane" by MJ DeMarco, who breaks down why this is a good thing.

smoozoid, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  3. werliyu

werliyu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Make money online
    weight loss

werliyu, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  4. mkcookin

mkcookin Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A few off the top of my head which are very popular are:
    - Make Money Online
    - dating
    - weight loss

Like Smooz said though, competition is not necessarily a bad thing, and actually is quite good. If it is competitive then you know people are making money in it.

The trick is to bring your own unique voice/angle to the the market and carve out a slice of the profit for yourself. For instance my mentor went into the make money online niche -- but instead of targeting that big broad topic he narrowed it down to "how to create your first website in 3 hours and 45 minutes."

He saw that many people struggled with this, and could help people specifically on this subject matter. He quickly built a list and start making 200 dollar days, and know he is making a 7 figures a year with his business.

So to sum it up I personally would go after a subject matter you are first passionate about and have some knowledge on. Then simply keep narrowing down your market until you find your "super niche"

Hope this helps :)

mkcookin, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  5. KevinChapman

KevinChapman Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I'd say weight loss, there are so many people trying to make it in the weight loss niche and most of them don't actually know anything about health or weight loss!

I think the MMO is a highly competitive niche too but like mkcookin said, if you are passionate enough about a niche then it will work out for you.

KevinChapman, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  6. tac88

tac88 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The most competitive niches are make money online, weight loss, merchant services!
    If there is competition then that is where you want to be.
    You have the wrong attitude ..
    You need to find your angle to get in ..
    Competition means that their is money there.....

tac88, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  7. jamesbrands

jamesbrands Active Member

Best Answers:
    Poker niche is tough.

I think if your intent on targeting a tough niche without a huge budget it's about niching down. If you take weight loss and dating for example their are so many sub niches you could look into and take a slice of the larger pie.

jamesbrands, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  8. kantus

kantus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Anything to do with web hosting is pretty tough simply due to how saturated the market is with new providers popping up everyday,

kantus, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  9. London Internet Marketing

London Internet Marketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually those markets are probably a little easier.
    The toughest are internet marketing, make money online, health, lose weight and dating.

10. OfferBribeMike

OfferBribeMike Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd say the ones mentioned I.e health, weight loss etc plus a lot of the financial niches like insurance, credit repairs/reports and Payday seem to be pretty competitive aswell.

OfferBribeMike, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd say look at the niche WITH the huge technical barrier to entry - because once you're in new competitors are less likely to emerge.

sarahk, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  12. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Selling IT products or services online is very tough because all vendors know that IT people shop online first. It is a B2B play, so it does not have the visibility that a conusmer play does, but it is just as fiercely competitive. I know because I have an online network cable business and it is brutal!

jrbiz, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  13. PolkaDotMarketing

PolkaDotMarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, it's a very competitive niche.

I wouldn't name the people who don't know anything about health or weight loss competition thought.. more like dead weight :)

PolkaDotMarketing, Oct 9, 2013 IP
  14. ajapub

ajapub Member

Best Answers:
    From my own personal experience, the "male enhancement" niche is very competitive. It's also evolved quite a bit over the past few years, though.

ajapub, Oct 11, 2013 IP
  15. Mavix

Mavix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    weight loss
    male enhancement
    make money online

Mavix, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  16. PINK DONKEY

PINK DONKEY Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say it is weight loss as everyone mentioned and also non-prescription products like male enhancements and some other. Adult and dating is less popular than it used to be.

PINK DONKEY, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  17. streetcopmillionaire

streetcopmillionaire Active Member

Best Answers:
    Mareks,

With all due respect...I think you're asking the wrong question... you might try a different angle...I don't think there are any niche's that are so competitive that are hardly worth trying. Lots of people have named the "top 3"...competition wise, but if there's competition, then there is definitely a MARKET and people are spending money on them. What you've got to figure out is what your 'niche within the niche' will be.... why someone should buy from YOU... what makes you different. That can be your personality...people just click with you, so they want their information from you. It can also be a tool or something that people are overlooking inside the niche... I'd encourage you to take a pen to pad and just brainstorm the heck out of it... find your USP and what makes you different. If there's no competition, usually there's no money in it. Competition is a good sign for sure!!

Smoozoid suggested picking up a copy of MJ Demarco's 'Millionaire Fastlane', and I think that's a great suggestion...it's a phoneomenal book that will really open your eyes....I'd actually say that if anyone on this thread HASN'T read that book....get it NOW and start it tonight!!

Best of luck bro!

SCM

streetcopmillionaire, Oct 14, 2013 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  18. kb24

kb24 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Health (weight loss, male enhancement)
    Wealth (make money, financial)
    Relationships (Dating)

kb24, Oct 14, 2013 IP
  19. Isadore Gregory

Isadore Gregory Member

Best Answers:
    There is also money on travel sites niche, the problem is there is also a stiff competition so if you want to tap into this market you might have to devout a considerable amount of time crafting those well-written travel posts and well-organized travel tips.

Isadore Gregory, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  20. Michael Mayer

Michael Mayer Member

Best Answers:
    Make Money Online, Find me someone who does not want to make more money!

Michael Mayer, Dec 4, 2013 IP