1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are you still using digital camera or only smartphone?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Katy, Oct 10, 2013.

Hi guys! I'm working on a school project and we are trying to analyze the usage of digital cameras compared to smartphones. I would really appreciate if you could spend 2-3 minutes of your time to do this survey. :) I need at least 100 responses and I only have about half of that for now....

https://bino.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_eJ2tL0E3QwWkzl3

And of course, all comments and thoughts about smartphones taking over digital cameras are very welcome! I want to hear your guys' opinions! :D

Katy, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I expected to see a question about whether I use my smartphone or my camera more often and what is the trigger to switch from one to the other.

sarahk, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  3. Digital_shubhi

Digital_shubhi Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Smartphones are good as its easy to carry and you take it almost everywhere with you. Although for special occasions I do prefer a real Digi-cam.
    So, basically I use a Digi-cam only once a month and other days, I just use my phone.

Digital_shubhi, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  4. Katy

Katy Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    We are mostly focusing on digital cameras, but thank you Sarah for the suggestion! :)

Katy, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    While I appreciate the focus on digital cameras it's worth noting, surely, that I use a phone to take photos most days but my camera only a few times a year.

sarahk, Oct 10, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk and Katy like this.
  6. DexLexington

DexLexington Peon

Best Answers:
    I think that using a digital camera is more efficient then a smart phone because if smart phones take over then what is the use of having a camera at all. Besides, people these days don't take pictures like they used to, it is all going to Instagram these days.

DexLexington, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    That makes no sense at all.

What is the harm of smart phones taking over?
    And isn't sending a picture to instagram still taking a picture?

I think back to when my kids were babies and we were spending hundreds of dollars on film and processing every month. Now we spend nothing but we still share photos, we take more of them because there is no cost per image. Smart phones just mean I have one device that does more.

We're cleaning out our cupboards and just threw out our palm pilots - remember when phones didn't have good address books?

sarahk, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  8. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    In addition to what sarahk mentioned: cameras are now getting better in smartphones. I don't mean megapixel count, but the quality of sensors. HTC One, Sony Xperia Z1 and Nokia Lumia 1020 are currently some of the best out there. Easily matching compact cameras. Samsung is producing a sensor with better light sensitivity. It's the present and future. When we (me and wife) go on holiday we take our bridge camera, but found ourselves using smartphones at times instead. It's just so much more convenient. Take the shots, send them off via email to family, exchange them with each other via WhatsApp, upload to Faceache or whatever.

Now we have "smart cameras" (with Android), fortunately there is even a large sensor camera running it too. This is a better use for it (rather than on compact cameras, as smartphones do the job already) and the future (it will make them more accessible, help improve functionality to meet modern needs and longevity). Within two years, don't be surprised to see 50% (or more) of new DSLRs, m43 and other large sensor cameras with Android (or a similar OS).

ryan_uk, Oct 10, 2013 IP
  9. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm professional photographer, smart phone is just for beginners and not for professionals. DSLR way ahead.

karthimx, Oct 10, 2013 IP
    FreeFun4Every1 likes this.
  10. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Do you think it's time I ditched the old Kodak brownie?

1953KodakBrownie127camera.jpg

malky66, Oct 11, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  11. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    No, just keep it as the camera would be very expensive in next ten years. :D
    No stuffs would be able to replace that camera. Not even the latest Smart Phone (or digital camera) with Android OS. :D

I just never thought you still have the stuff from 1952. :D

Arick unirow, Oct 11, 2013 IP
  12. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Things were built to last back then, cant imagine my android will still be working 60 years from now:)

malky66, Oct 11, 2013 IP
  13. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    And that is more than enough to keep the camera. :)

Arick unirow, Oct 11, 2013 IP
  14. WhiteShoePrincess

WhiteShoePrincess Peon

Best Answers:
    I use my iphone 4.

WhiteShoePrincess, Oct 11, 2013 IP
  15. pcb19

pcb19 Member

Best Answers:
    in my opinion cameraphones are getting better all the time :)

pcb19, Oct 11, 2013 IP
  16. Conch.

Conch. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've never really used a decent, digital camera before, I'd like one in the near future as I've thought about doing some photography, as I've started doing GFX.

I don't use my smartphone either, in fact I don't even have any albums or portfolios of anything - Which saddens me.
    But if I was to choose one of the two, I'd definitely go for a digital camera.

I don't want to sound like an idiot, but I don't see many people taking good shots in photography or doing any Graphics design (Maybe a little, but definitely a decrease) - I mean the younger generation.

People generally use online image editing tools with sloppy watermarks.
    And for example, Instagram.
    People would rather take pictures of their own food - Indoors.
    Than venture outside and enjoy the country side lol.

Like I said, I don't mean to sound mean or an idiot, but it's true! :p

Conch., Oct 11, 2013 IP
  17. FreeFun4Every1

FreeFun4Every1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Just completed your Survey and I am agree with those who said smartphone cameras are getting better but we can compare them only with Compact camera if people are in photography profession they always preferred DSLR. So simply Smartphone (High-budget e.g. HTC one, Nokia Lumia 1020, iPhone 5S, Sony Xperia Z1) can replace your compact digi cam but no smartphone can ever replace ever DSLR even if you use extra lens on your smartphone like QX10 or QX100. So capturing moments are very easy now days it's all on your hand but if it's your work and passion then you really need camera. People who are not agree with me watch this first
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/videos/sony-qx10-and-qx100-vs-a-dslr-camera-292493

FreeFun4Every1, Oct 11, 2013 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  18. Katy

Katy Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Thank you so much guys and girls for helping me out! Really appreciate it! :) Still waiting for more responses though! :D

I have a DSLR myself, but I barely use after I got my iPhone... Which is sad, because it takes great pictures. In my opinion phone is good to take pictures with when you are out with your friends for example and just want to capture some moments. But whenever I travel I always take my camera with me (if I don't forget it :D ), because I want my vacation pictures to have high quality. :)

Katy, Oct 11, 2013 IP
  19. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    karthimx, Oct 11, 2013 IP
    sarahk and FreeFun4Every1 like this.
  20. Katy

Katy Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Wow, impressive! Very beautiful, you should keep it up! I especially like the close-ups! :)

Katy, Oct 11, 2013 IP