1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you think PR has completely lost its charm?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mpriya, Oct 3, 2013.

No PR update from Google since February 2013. Do you think PR update will not happen from now and lost its charm completely?

mpriya, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  2. Glen Huff

Glen Huff Member

Best Answers:
    PR has always been a number that webmasters fixate on. I tell people all the time not to focus so much on it. It is a popularity score. There are other ways for you to find out how successful your site is. Most of us use analytics that track visit behavior and check backlinks to our pages. PR is updated 1-2 times a year. It is not an accurate measure. Daily/Weekly/Monthly statistics are a better way of judging how a website is doing and in most cases we can pull up reports over the long term and see trends.

Backlinks come and go as people create/delete posts. A PR score isn't going to tell if a website is growing or dying. If it were updated more frequently, then maybe it would have more value. I find low PR websites ranking first page all the time. Backlinks are a factor in ranking on the Google serps, but I hope the PR score isn't the only way of Google judging this. It's not accurate at all. In regards to a future update, it might happen soon. I doubt they'll go an entire year without updating it.

I've also read that there's more being done to decipher natural backlinks over unnatural backlinks. PR should only report natural backlinks in the future. So, this delay may just be them working on a new, more sophisticated PR algorithm that accomplishes this better than it has in the past. Just a thought.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Glen Huff, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  3. randeepsingh

randeepsingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes, i think now it's time to concentrate on SERP, no on PR

randeepsingh, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  4. webdev007

webdev007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems like the PR era has gone. It may be one of the ranking factor (internal to Google) but publicly now it not remained that important as before.

webdev007, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  5. khemraj

khemraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Welcome to the 21st century ... please leave your worries about PageRank at the door, you don't need them any more ...

I agree that PR is a factor in Google's ranking algorithm but very tiny factor, not much above what kind of cereal you had for breakfast today.PR used to be just a number for Google to assign some rating to each page. There are more than 200 factor now for Google to decide the quality of page and rank in SERPs. PR was always for Google but we also adopted it in judging the authority of any page, but Google do not discriminate on the basis of theme, content, layout, etc while assign PR. We apart from PR also consider the theme, nature of business, relevancy, etc. For Google PR 6 pages were of same value/ quality (irrespective of theme, nature of business), which is not the case with us.

And it's not just about feb 2013, PR had gone long ago

khemraj, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  6. rvignesh9008

rvignesh9008 Member

Best Answers:
    Those days are gone. If you own a blog just concentrate on the content and provide useful stuffs to your readers, Google will start loving you naturally.

rvignesh9008, Oct 3, 2013 IP
  7. Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius

Vijay Devkar - SEO Genius Member

Best Answers:
    PR is a way to calculate the incoming quantity and quality of backlinks for your website and we all stress on building backlinks, don't we? Just because the frequency of PR update is low, it shouldn't loose any charm.

8. jamesbrands

jamesbrands Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are still lots of other metrics that can be used, to gauge a sites authority.

jamesbrands, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  9. VanessaMeacham

VanessaMeacham Member

Best Answers:
    Hi mpriya, yes I agree with vijay. now a days people concentrate on Content and post it in some good site which has high PR and all. so, PR shouldn't loose any charm.

VanessaMeacham, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  10. CApulkit

CApulkit Member

Best Answers:
    If PR is gone than its really good for new sites. Generally new sites are more optimized and have good contents, even than due to PR factor traffic is driven to high PR sites.

CApulkit, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  11. Northstar127

Northstar127 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It still is a factor but not so important now, Worrying to much about the pr of you links or website is time wasted. Focusing on providing quality content , getting your quality content out there and getting contextual links is something better to focus on.

Northstar127, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  12. karthick9

karthick9 Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with above lines, Now we should concentrate more on SERP

karthick9, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  13. rozerr

rozerr Active Member

Best Answers:
    As we all know Chrome hasn't page rank toolbar in built and internet explorer 10 also doesn't allow toolbar and add-ins, So it reduces the luster of of page rank. Also Google hasn't updated page rank from feb 2013 and recently Matt cutts said that the PR will not update till 2014. So these all facts responsible for lost charm of Page rank.
    But page rank still important because "if you and a competitor’s site each have a beautiful, user-friendly site full of relevant content, gorgeous graphics, and excellent on-site SEO, a higher PageRank can help you win the race."

rozerr, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  14. pryidevsblog

pryidevsblog Active Member

Best Answers:

I completely agree with Glen. Even every time I think Why people gives so much importance to Page Rank. I never give priority to Page Rank we have only focus on the traffic and user.

pryidevsblog, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  15. ItsAdam

ItsAdam Member

Best Answers:
    I don't care about PageRank.. i care about my users and the traffic. i'd rather have low page rank but more happy users.

ItsAdam, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  16. UPandDOWN

UPandDOWN Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    For some people PR is very important, it's hard phase for people who do PTR business and selling PR domain.
    And yes I confirm february 2013 is the last PR mayor update.

UPandDOWN, Oct 8, 2013 IP
    nugnug77 likes this.