1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How do you write when you're not in the mood?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Spoiltdiva, Mar 23, 2012.

1. ReferralCandy

ReferralCandy Member

Best Answers:
    Finally a reason i can use to explain my D7 in Math hahahahaha.

ReferralCandy, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @main.owais211-@TPvinod
    Passion is the flame that burns in all writers hearts. Sometimes it's a little flicker, other times a huge conflagration.
    @ReferralCandy
    Math was always my worst subject, hated it!:mad:

Spoiltdiva, Jul 30, 2013 IP
  3. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    @AmritaRiat, is it that people don't want to pay for quality rather than the writer not producing quality? I have a benchmark for writing for clients, if I wouldn't post it on my website then I don't send it out until it is good enough. I know I am my own worst critic, if I can't find the problem then I come back to it later and there are times when I then realize that it was good enough in the first place! I no longer work for people who are not willing to pay a fair price for my work, not only for my benefit but for the benefit of other writers. Quality should always be a priority, it's not only the writers business that can be ruined by a bad piece of writing but also the clients!!

Emma Pollard, Jul 31, 2013 IP
  4. Wanda Fraser

Wanda Fraser Member

Best Answers:
    Writing is just what I do. I don't really know how to explain it better than that, honestly. When I was in grade five, I wrote a short story and my teacher had it published in a magazine. She told my mother that I was going to be a writer and I just never questioned it. There was never a backup plan. Now I kind of sort of almost make a living writing content online and I'm moderately happy with that.

It's not often that I'm not in the mood to write but when it happens, I have a few ways of dealing with it. I'll put on some music that inspires me (some of my favorites include Elvis Costello, Motley Crue, Sublime, Pink Floyd, Bright Eyes, Miranda Lambert, Lady Gaga ... it really just depends on my mood at the time) and just listen to the lyrics for a while. Other times, I'll find some random article on CNN and get into a debate in the comments section. That always gets me in the right mind set to create high quality content. It gets my brain churning and forces me to really think and sometimes research. If that still doesn't work, I hit up my Sudoku books and flip to the "Very Hard" section. That gets my brain going too. It's all about convincing my brain to stop being lazy. Works every time.

Having to pay the bills is certainly a big part of it. A guy I've been working with for the last three years has suddenly dropped off the map along with a rather sizable chunk of the money he owes me leaving me without money to pay my bills. It's alright as it does happen on occasion but this one hurts. I respected him and considered him a close friend but I guess that's the way things go. Now I'm back to pounding the pavement for more work. That is most definitely stressful and it absolutely makes it hard to want to keep working but I know it'll all work out. I do good work so someone will hire me eventually, even if I have to go back to making less money than I was making with him. It's not an easy business to be in but it beats the heck out of getting dressed and leaving the house to go to work every day.

Wanda Fraser, Aug 15, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow and Spoiltdiva like this.
  5. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Wanda Fraser
    I'm very pleased to give you your 1st like. That was the kind of comment that I want on this thread. Music, CNN, Sudoku books and having to pay the bills. Yes these are good motivators to get into the mood to write.
    Thanks for your well written post.

Spoiltdiva, Aug 15, 2013 IP
  6. Lokahi

Lokahi Active Member

Best Answers:
    What inspires me most is time spent reading breaking news in my niche. I'm talking about going to the source. Even industry magazines help me get new ideas. Not talking about copying but actual inspiration. Once I've filled my head with all these new concepts, I can draw from a vast pool of creativity to write whenever and whatever I want.

Lokahi, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    That's good, but I'm curious as to learning more about your niche. What exactly is it that inspires you?

Spoiltdiva, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  8. SBRTechnologies

SBRTechnologies Member

Best Answers:
    buddy, at the end of the day, its all about mood. If you are in good mood, the creative juice would come from inside. Apart from this its all about loving the profession. Once you love the profession you would be able to make a difference.

SBRTechnologies, Sep 26, 2013 IP
  9. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    Nice sentiment and good theory. I very much like the "love the profession" statement, quite true. I would have given you a like for this comment, but....I don't particularly enjoy being referred to as "buddy".;)

Spoiltdiva, Sep 26, 2013 IP
    Vlasic likes this.
  10. plf0903

plf0903 Member

Best Answers:
    I only write for myself now, but I enjoy reading what I wrote the day before when I was in a foul mood, sometimes I come up with some real gems when I, as my wife says, "write nasty and mean", and you can always rewrite it later when you feel better.

I find the easiest way to write good is to write after something enjoyable has just happened, like the ice cream van just came around, I sure you can think of something that gets your motor running, most of us can.

plf0903, Oct 4, 2013 IP
  11. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    I'm sure many of us would enjoy reading this content. At the very least, it would surely prove to be entertaining.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  12. Holyhero

Holyhero Active Member

Best Answers:
    The uglier my mood the longer I take, but I eventually push myself at some point til I finish it

Holyhero, Oct 5, 2013 IP
  13. Amanda Walker

Amanda Walker Peon

Best Answers:
    When not in the mood to write, don't force yourself. Do something else, or think of something that will relax your mind. There's might things that will inspire you again to start writing. Sometimes, you can use your emotions, when your happy, sad or even mad specially when your writing a stories or novelas. Those emotions can inspire you to create a great story. :) Hope this will help :)

Amanda Walker, Oct 6, 2013 IP
  14. alphaomegalady

alphaomegalady Member

Best Answers:
    If I'm not in the mood but I know that deadline is soon this will able me to write. You know deadline is a good tool to push you to finish your writing.

alphaomegalady, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  15. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    @Holyhero, as long as you finish it, it's all good.;)
    @Amanda Walker, writing about emotions makes for good literature.
    @alphaomegalady, ah the dreaded deadline, a very effective motivational tool.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  16. digitalcreativenetwork

digitalcreativenetwork Member

Best Answers:
    This is quite natural with writers that at some point of the day they are left with no energy to write and I am not an exception but I do utilize that time to prepare myself for next content. While not in mood, I generally prefer reading other people's blogs or watching Youtube videos related to my own queries or something related to my niche. Such activity keeps me busy and utilizing my time preparing for next write-up.

digitalcreativenetwork, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  17. Alan E

Alan E Member

Best Answers:
    So interesting you say this...when you are not forced to write, you can come up with the greatest ideas and content. For me, this is the time when I am free to brainstorm and jot down thoughts without any pressure. It is good to take a breather at times and not force yourself to come up with something.
    It is the same thing when I am asked to speak at an event. When the pressure of coming up with content and a presentation is there, I just get stuck sometimes. Deadlines and time crunching don't help much at all either.

Alan E, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  18. Spoiltdiva

Best Answers:
    This works for me as well and I sometimes do this to get myself in the mood to write, good tip.

Spoiltdiva, Oct 16, 2013 IP
  19. MontanaG

MontanaG Peon

Best Answers:
    You simply cannot. Just wait and do something else. When you get an urge, let it flow. Only way it works.

MontanaG, Oct 18, 2013 IP
  20. djmarion

djmarion Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Honestly speaking, it is very hard to start writing when you're not in the mood, like when you have problems, upset at someone or just woke up at the wrong side of the bed.
    as a writer though, I have learned to practice discipline when dealing with my clients. I have learned to separate my emotions from my work. It's hard and takes courage but it is possible to write good quality content even when you're not in the mood.

Besides, if you wait to write till you get in the mood, you may end up loosing clients and a of course income. :)

djmarion, Oct 18, 2013 IP