1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Freelance Graphic Design Tips

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multimedia' started by BumbleBeeTuna, Oct 1, 2013.

Freelance design is a great way to earn extra cash and establish betters skills as a designer. I have been freelancing for 5 years, and really enjoy the diversity and flexibility of this career. If you do want to embark on a freelance career, here are some of the tips I have used to help gain clients.

1. Always create relationships before contracts.
    A genuine, solid relationship with your clients, not only helps you to create a better understanding of the work they are after, it also helps maintain a longer, meaningful connection - which in turn creates more potential work in the future. If you don't create lasting relationships and jump straight in with the 'you must pay me this at this time', 'please sign here' jargon that often comes with writing contracts, you run the risk of looking too corporate - Let's face it, who in this day and age doesn't want to work with someone they can relate to or even have a laugh with!

2. Be Passionate - Show your skills.
    If you love design as much as I do, work doesn't really feel like work half the time and I love the challenges that come with the territory. One thing that clients and potential clients love is passion and enthusiasm, not only for design but for what ever they are aiming to promote, sell or revamp. Always try and find an area of their business that interests you , as this gives you a good edge.

3. Time is vital
    I know this is obvious, but seriously - if you're working for yourself , time management is so important , especially when you have everything and anything around you to temp you into a procrastination abyss.

4. Be flexible - But not too flexible.
    Some clients can be a real pain in the ass, you will find the odd one who expects you to work all hours of the day and night to give them what they want. Now, while helping them out occasionally is important, don't let them walk all over you. They know you love what you do , they know you work at home all hours of the day, but don't let them know that your prepared to be taken the piss out of.

5. Don't undercut yourself.
    Unfortunately websites advertising 'logos for £10' 'business card designs for £5' have really hit the design industry in a negative way and sadly , devalue it greatly. These days designers are up against it trying to compete with these frankly appalling quick money ventures and qualified , well experienced designers are finding it hard to steal the work from them. The way I get around this is offer my clients something that these cheap websites cant ... sounds obvious right? Well cheap logo design is often a quick picture stuck with some crappy , badly kerned type and if you know anything about design, it is so much more than that, and this is how I sell my work to my clients. I tell them why this design works for them and why it costs the amount it does, how i work, and why I think this is better for the their business. It's all about confidence in your abilities and selling these to your clients.

I hope these little tips may have helped some of you! Anymore questions, please let me know! I'll do my best to respond accordingly!

Thanks guys - Oh and have a nice day! :)

BumbleBeeTuna, Oct 1, 2013 IP
    urock_ltd likes this.
  2. Ana Designs

Ana Designs Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks BumbleBeeTuna for these nice tips

Ana Designs, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  3. BumbleBeeTuna

BumbleBeeTuna Member

Best Answers:
    No problem! I glad you found them interesting if not useful!

BumbleBeeTuna, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  4. lista adiya

lista adiya Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    thanks for the tips
    untul today i still don't have a client
    not even contracts
    i hope with this tips i can have a new page

lista adiya, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  5. urock_ltd

urock_ltd Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:

Always create relationships before contracts.
    I always believe on this and when i was reading it i was feeling my thoughts converted into words by you

I really appreciate your writing skills and of course a collection of best tips.
    Great Post!!!!!!!!

urock_ltd, Oct 7, 2013 IP