1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

[Useful Info] Direct Mail Conversion Tips

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Brian Fischer, Sep 24, 2013.

So I've been doing direct mail marketing for some time now, and learned quite a few things that will help with conversion rates. Even more so, some of these tips will apply to email marketing as well. I'll post a couple for now, if there's some interest I'll post even more! :)

-Handwritten Addresses
    If it's practical or possible, I suggest hand writing the addresses on the envelope. Normally people aren't used to get handwritten letters in the mail, except for around the holidays, birthdays, etc. when family members send stuff. Therefore they typically expect these kinds of things with handwritten envelopes. It tends to spark there curiosity a lot more and doesn't look spammy if you were to just print it.

-Use a an eye catching headline
    This is more of a marketer's job, but just about anyone can learn how to do it. While it does apply to direct mail marketing, this is more for email marketing in the subject line. IF you can create something that is eye catching, and engaging, it's obvious there's a more likely chance someone is going to open your email. If you're advertising some sort of product or service, be sure to mention AT LEAST one of the benefits in the headline. Again, we're trying to make this look as realistic as possible and less like spam.

-Follow up
    Don't just be one and done. Especially with direct mail, business owners tend to be very busy and may be interested in your service, but just don't have the time to contact you. Don't mark this up as they don't care, they're just busy. Give them a phone call, or better yet, mention it in the letter that you will!

-Use a P.S. line
    Making use of a P.S. line makes the letter look a lot more personalized and thus the reader feels 'special' if you will. People like feeling that they're not just one of the thousands that received this, but an individual.

Brian Fischer, Sep 24, 2013 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  2. WebWriter

WebWriter Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good tips. Handwritten addresses are key. Unless it is a postcard, all of my direct mail goes this way. There are companies who can assist you if you don't have time to do it yourself.

WebWriter, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    In my experience, direct marketing by mail. phone or email has an analogy to the old real estate axiom that goes something like: "Only three things matter in real estate: location, location, and location." Likewise, only three things matter in direct marketing: the list, the list, and the list. Spend 70% of your time developing the freshest, most targeted list of prospects that you can. The above tips and a few others will make a difference, of course, but the the quality of your list will likely have the biggest impact on the succes of your direct marketing campaign.

jrbiz, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  4. Brian Fischer

Brian Fischer Peon

Best Answers:
    This is very, very true, and I completely agree! The right list is very key to getting a better conversion rate, as I don't think you'd market say... running shoes to paraplegics! However just because someone is runner, doesn't always necessarily mean they are always looking for new running shoes! These tips are more so meant for the few stragglers you get, that may be interested, but not exactly dying to get your latest product!

Brian Fischer, Sep 24, 2013 IP