1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What's The Difference Between a $5 Article And A $50 Article

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by coreygeer, Jul 30, 2013.

1. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not into writing much, though all articles in my blogs are genuine home made by myself or my colleagues and google just loves it (page 1 in less than a month on few keywords that score 48m-64m searches) Domain name help though. Anyway, I was looking once of a writer for one of my "english" project and to be honest I give up because I just can't make the difference myself.

my point is: You can find some really good english writers out there living in countries where $5.00 worth $50.00 in USA, so at the end, they ar ededicated to their jobs because where they live, it's what you will pay, indeed in modern countries same job would cost 5x/10x more but might be as good as the other one, yet I have never come across a site that scored better with a $50 article than a $5.00 article and I know some poeple who actually have 100's of $5.00 articles on thir blogs and still google blog spot them and send them teh traffic they have been looking scoring good revenues on adsense too.

I see many people who on have different opinion on here and yet I believe they all have a valid point.

IG2010, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  2. LaughingBearInc

LaughingBearInc Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I started writing on freelance sites. Having to bid against people willing to take a fraction of a penny per word was horrifying!

I thought I'd found an answer with iWriter. The pay there starts as pure crap but if you can get up to "elite" it just about triples. So I set about getting to Elite A.S.A.P.

30 articles in about 36 hours later, perfect 5 star rating, and I was "ELITE"! Only to discover that the "25 - 40 jobs available" I'd been teased with were either
    A: Ridiculous on the requirements ($100 worth of work for $8)
    B: Written with unintelligible instructions
    C: Listed by people with 80% plus rejection rates of writers submitted work
    D: Contained 10 keywords they said "Had to be put in 10 times each!" for 500 word articles
    E: Etc - you get my point.

On the bright side - the people who got 500 word articles out of me for under $3 (to them- only $2.43 for me after iWriters cut!) got 10 star work at 1 star prices. Lucky them.

I can't tell you the number of "Where have you been all my life" and "Best article I've ever gotten on iWriter" comments I got on my ratings.

36 hours, 30 - 5 star articles, 14 requesters putting me on their "favorites" list - and just about no repeat work once I hit elite because they didn't want to shell out $10 an article (for me to get paid $8).

Needless to say.. I've branched out. I am about to raise my article prices on my website - though the higher they go the less clients I get.. :/ and have started writing for a company that actually pays fairly decent- at least until I get a steady client base up.

Thanks for this post- made me laugh, made me upset, all the things good writing should hehe

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    LaughingBearInc, Sep 6, 2013 IP
    Vlasic likes this.
  3. coreygeer

coreygeer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    My iWriter has almost enough for a small payout but every time I go on there, there's absolutely no work to be done.

I had some rejections when I first started because people wanted free content. Rejections have gone down (believe it or not) because they implemented a system where it doesn't just give them the article after you write it, it only gives them an image of the article.

For fun, let's see what's on iWriter right now.

Premium: There is 4 articles available under Premium (which pays like $4.50 per 500 words). They're all by the same guy and he has a 64% rejection rating.

His special instructions: They must have subtitles and the articles must be structured a certain way, oh boy!

iWriter is notorious for cheap ass clients who leave extremely long and complicated special instructions.

coreygeer, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  4. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    iWriter, laughinable website who consider my IP as a spamming IP, as 1 its my ISP ip and 2 it is not static, but still, I am not able to join as BUYER because their system consider myself as spammer, well well well after reading those lines, I am more than happy that I didn't join

IG2010, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  5. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Try and solicit companies/firms, even if you are at a level 4 they will pay you a minimum of 1.5 cents per word. If you can prove that you can produce at a professional level, you can then expect between 5 to 10 cents per word once under contract. Freelancing is tantamount to self imposed starvation and discouragement.

Spoiltdiva, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  6. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    How are you going to 'ruin corey's reputation' that when you've been banned???

:) :) :)

and technically, the difference between a $5 article and a$50 article is... $45.

Nothing sells like humour, folks!

PassGoSEO, Sep 7, 2013 IP
    Nusaint, Emma Pollard and Spoiltdiva like this.
  7. A+ Global

A+ Global Active Member

Best Answers:
    With a higher price, writers have the incentive to produce better content.

A+ Global, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  8. walkerbushgeorge

walkerbushgeorge Peon

Best Answers:
    as with anything in life, you get what you pay for. more $=better quality.

walkerbushgeorge, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  9. pentelupe

pentelupe Active Member

Best Answers:
    Such a lot of truth here. It's sad but true and I don't know how people do this job everyday
    nor how others expect it - at $5.

pentelupe, Sep 14, 2013 IP
  10. Julia McCoy

Julia McCoy Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The difference between a $5 article and a $50 article is $45! :cool:

Julia McCoy, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  11. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    You might want to look up 4 posts above you.

PassGoSEO, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  12. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    She did and figured "if he got likes for this, so can I".;)

Spoiltdiva, Sep 21, 2013 IP
    PassGoSEO likes this.
  13. Emma Pollard

Emma Pollard Active Member

Best Answers:
    The question here is who's perspective do you want to look at?
    From some clients perspective a $5 article is as good as a $50 article, until it doesn't do it's job, then it's the writers fault! Or the writer takes too long to write it as they have to do other work as well and it's the writers fault.

From a writer's perspective the difference between a $5 article and a $50 article is 1. The amount of time you can allocate to it. 2. The amount of care you can allocate to it. 3. The amount of research you can allocate to it. This is all basically a question of time investment, no body can live on $5 for 2 hours work and those of us in the UK get less than that due to currency conversion, so we have to limit the time we spend on these projects.

This surely shows where the quality lies, it is better to pay more to have good quality, original content on your site which gets in the traffic and (more importantly) converts that traffic. This ultimately means that good quality content pays for itself with the increase in profits.

Emma Pollard, Sep 21, 2013 IP
    hopeless4 and Vlasic like this.
  14. Uploadsite

Uploadsite Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Great post Corey. It made me order an article with this guy. I will post feedback after delivery.

Uploadsite, Sep 22, 2013 IP
  15. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's The Difference Between a $5 Article And A $50 Article ?

Marketing and a few other factors.

I have seen marketing people buy horrible $5 articles and sell them to naive clients for $50. A month later they realize their website will never rank and is worthless along with the content in it.

I have seen educated writers write total junk and they were paid more then $50 to do it. Just because you pay $50 doesn’t mean you will get a good article.

I have seen great $5 articles, in some parts of the world $5 will buy something and people will sit down and write for that. It is still pretty low and most people will not keep that up for too long.

DP is a global outsourcing market people come here for cheap stuff like $5 articles. If someone has $50 they can call the local writer and have them write. Why would they deal with wading through a bunch of 3rd world scammers, spinners and plagiarizers ?

I guess one difference is a $50 article can be a call to your reputable local writer and $5 can be wading through misspelled ads and fake accts on DP and getting spun plagiarized stuff half the time.

averyz, Sep 27, 2013 IP
    Emma Pollard likes this.
  16. hopeless4

hopeless4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The difference is all about de "Engrish". Foreign writers charge $1 or $1.50 for their work and make most of their clients happy. When a true EFL writer charges these rates, they're held to a higher standard than if they were to just stop under-valuing themselves and charge what their time's worth.

Build a website, fill it with real testimonials, samples, pricing -- and let customers come to you. I always come here to DP after regular layoffs from writing. Within a week I'm usually so busy that breathing starts to come at a premium. I'll whore myself out for a week, then start to weed out clients that don't work with my goals -- just as they do with their writers.

Sometimes it's worth trying some lower-priced stuff too -- If you find the right gig, sometimes a $2.50/100 job can turn out fast cash due to the ease of the job and lack of research. In other cases, a pain-in-the-ass client that pays peanuts will expect such research-laden material that they'll never get the use of my brain or keyboard ever again.

I think if you're putting yourself out there for the big gigs, you'll eventually get them, if you have the moxy and the talent. The cheap people who don't get it will always get what's coming to them in the end.

Think of all the scenarios:
    • They spend most of their free time sourcing new writers because nobody with a modicum of talent will even entertain their ridiculous offers.
    • They think "SEO" is the be-all, end-all, and so after a few months, they become one of those people posting a thread that's something like "Why my blog not ranking?" or "Google Adsense dropped me" -- etc., etc.
    • Then they become angry, bitter little trolls that think everyone's stupid, and that they could become so successful if they could just find one good writer who does what they say, and doesn't become "unavailable" after the first project (wonder why hunh?)
    Corey: I respect your mission. You're fighting a losing battle because it isn't so much the buyers, but the sellers who dictate price and value in this market. I do, however, respect how you speak up and harass all the silly buggers who're too cheap, delusional, and/or hopeless to understand what actually makes a piece readable to some stranger who stops in to read their random blog on the inter-webs.

Many moons ago I was just as impassioned to the cause, but eventually came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth getting my blood pressure up over it. The well-paying work is out there, and not hard to find if you keep your ears open.

hopeless4, Sep 27, 2013 IP
    MyWriterGirl and PassGoSEO like this.
  17. lukeit

lukeit Active Member

Best Answers:
    so who can show me an article on the web that worth 50-100 usd? ;)

lukeit, Oct 24, 2013 IP
  18. shailendra2501

shailendra2501 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    $5 article writers don’t waste your time with pesky research. If you want to look like an innovator in your market, the best thing to do is pay someone to copy and rehash the same tired material that’s been written a million times before! Research? Bah. Let a $5 article writer search google and copy another person’s article, and just throw in a few sexy adjectives to make sure it slides by Copyscape

shailendra2501, Oct 25, 2013 IP
  19. PassGoSEO

PassGoSEO Member

Best Answers:
    Look at the post above you by hopeless4.

The quality of that post is phenomenal, considering he just threw it onto a free public forum. If you PM him, I'll bet money he can point you towards many of HIS articles that went out the door for serious coin.

PassGoSEO, Oct 25, 2013 IP
  20. hopeless4

hopeless4 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Value is in the eye of the beholder my friend. If you're happy with the cheap shit, and it makes you money, don't listen to goofballs like me spouting off.

I've written a crap-ton of content for some of the following sites (they don't pay "peanuts" for their content; though I won't guarantee you won't find a few stinkers :D):

Lifed
    Forbes
    Sitepoint
    Entrepreneur.com
    Onion

Some of these examples don't necessarily apply, as four of them pay hundreds for a 500 word minimum article. Still, it just shows that you gotta up your game -- or get run over!

Look at the recent changes to Google, and those to come in the near future...

PR is out, DA is in. The age of junky blogs that rank for terms the site owner doesn't even understand are dying -- FAST!

Berries don't sell as well anymore either...

When you own a site that gets hundreds of thousands of hits per day, you don't have time to "F" around with maybes. Paying extra, and properly vetting your writers ensures you don't get stuck with some junky crap (with the same pointless verbiage found in the top 10 of Google news, or Wiki sites) two hours before a posting deadline.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm wasting my time trying to convince those who aren't already. The majority like to spin their wheels and learn lessons the hard way...

hopeless4, Oct 25, 2013 IP
    Vlasic likes this.