1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Edit the contents of an HTML Template?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ksbharath86, Sep 8, 2013.

Hello Friends,

Few days back one of my friend has given me an html template which he purchased it from themeforest.

And now I have uploaded all the contents to my domain hosting, and it goes live here omegapmc.in

Now my doubt is how do I edit the contents of it. I am purely uneducated in terms of coding, but would love to learn it practically. I would love to change the text present in the template as well as the images. But I am not sure from where to start with, I mean where exactly I need to change those.

I would be grateful for all those who try to help me. (I follow this, Knowledge is better than wealth, better share it)

ksbharath86, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Before you mess with template go through some basic html tutorials to get a feel for how pages are structured and what the different tags do.

sarahk, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  3. gotlivechat

gotlivechat Member

Best Answers:
    Learn HTML and CSS from W3Schools web site. Then use Firefox with the Firebug add-on and then you can edit your site using your browser. But keep in mind the changes through Firebug are not permanent; they are only showing you what it looks like within the browser. You would need to update the actual web pages manually so changes take effect for all visitors.

gotlivechat, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  4. SadClown

SadClown Member

Best Answers:
    You can use Notepad to edit the HTML file, or some type of WYSIWYG editor like Dreamweaver. Another alternative would be an IDE such as PHPStorm by Jetbrains. I prefer to use Chrome for debugging. A quick "ctrl + shift + j" brings up a really easy to use developer console.

SadClown, Sep 10, 2013 IP
  5. Sophialopez

Sophialopez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    try to learn some HTML stuff from Html.net it will help you a lot in future with the editing of your templates

Sophialopez, Sep 11, 2013 IP
  6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    notepad++ is one of the best editors to use. If you are only changing the default text, with your own content then you should be fine. But it is good if you visit w3schools to familiarize yourself with html / css.
    One thing is, always backup before making changes. This way if you make a mistake you can quickly change back.

matt_62, Sep 11, 2013 IP
  7. GregWR

GregWR Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend signing up with Treehouse or Code Academy, there is a monthly fee but the quality of the tutorials is way beyond anything you will get for free.

GregWR, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  8. syncotix

syncotix Member

Best Answers:
    Don't use standard windows notepad. I remember it having a character encoding bug/feature where it would insert whitespace in IE.
    Notepad++ is a different program and brilliant for editing any kind of code files(html/css/php/java/etc/etc).

Every template is probably a bit different. Just open the html files in a text editor and see what is in them.

syncotix, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  9. SHASHI BHUSHAN

SHASHI BHUSHAN Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you are aware of html tags and want to change only content, then just open index.html (available in your template folder, filename could be different) in notepad or notepad++ and change content that you want to update.

SHASHI BHUSHAN, Sep 12, 2013 IP
  10. ksbharath86

ksbharath86 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hey guys thanks a lot for your help and now I have installed the template on my blog thinkforsoft.com but I have few of the doubts.. can any one clarify me about this doubts

1: First how to I reduce the font size of the word "Think For". How do I add new fonts and from where do I add (if it is from google fonts then how do I add new fonts and how to make it live)
    2: Under Who we are section, I have added a paragraph of about our company, but it appears to be in CAPS, I am finding very much difficult in make it in small letters, would you please help me on how to change it.
    3: Under latest news, how do I link my blog to automatically update as and when the new post is updated, or should I change it manually?
    4: Please let me know what are the contents to be added in the robots.txt (please answer to this question as a good friend of mine I have already added under thinkforsoft.com/robotx.txt))
    5: And how do I add sitemap.xml (I have already added one under thinkforsoft.com/sitemap.xml is that right or not)
    6: Where would I add the Google analytics.
    7: How do I create a new page or post. Where would I find a page template to create one.
    8: I created robots.txt file but today in my webmasters I received message saying that there is some error in the robots.txt file. (Can anyone review the rbots.txt file and let me know what are the changed which needs to be made.)

I have been doing this editing myself by referring the tutorials over the web as I am not able to afford to hire the developer, so I will be talking your help with this design. I have a lot of passion to learn.

ksbharath86, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  11. PardyCo

PardyCo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. In your /css/layout.css file, find this:
    In side this class, you will find "font-size: 160px;". Change this number to a lower number of your liking.

2. If you no longer want anything to be all upper case, go in your /css/base.css file on line 72 you will see this:
    text-transform: uppercase;
    Code (markup):
    You can delete it. If you don't find it, you can easily do a search pressing ctr+f and typing in "transform". This will make your text back to normal.

3. To have a blog automatically updated you are going to need to include some php. Or, an iframe. However iframes are not normally the way to go anymore. static HTML you are going to have to update it manually.

4. The robots.txt file is only for pages you don't want Google or other search engines to crawl. Ex, if you have a test subdirectory that you don't want Google to crawl you can put "Disallow: /test/".

5. If your homepage is the only homepage you have, you really do not have any need of a sitemap. However, if you want to have one it is there for future reference. All you need to do now is submit it to search engines xD

6. You will normally want to place your tracking code in the head piece of every page your looking to track.
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>My Site<?/title>
    <script>Google Tracking Code</script>
    </head>
    </html>
    HTML:
    7. This site seems to be a one page website. They are becoming quite popular these days. This will normally mean you do not add any more pages. However, if you still wish to do so you can probably take your current homepage template and edit it to a new page and save it as a new .html

PardyCo, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  12. giulio_74

giulio_74 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Articles:
    if you want to edit you, you must first learn html
    if you do not do this step is not going anywhere ...

Alternatively you can contact has a webesigner.

giulio_74, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  13. Infonic

Infonic Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you have a html editor like dreamweaver or frontpage you can edit html page template easily otherwise its difficult to do it you should get some good editor for it

Infonic, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  14. NureA

NureA Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Learn everything there is to know aboutl HTML! Try tutorials on youtube and Html.net

NureA, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  15. creativewebmaster

creativewebmaster Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its easy...Open the HTML file with dreamviewer or Notepad and you can edit the code whatever you need.

creativewebmaster, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  16. LinkGenie

LinkGenie Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need to have a knowledge in HTML, CSS to edit html templates. Most templates use DIV tag. So you need to learn DIV tags.

LinkGenie, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  17. rohitjain

rohitjain Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    Reduce font size of the word "Think For":
    Steps:
    • Open layout.css file
    • Find
      .home-text-middle{
      font-family: 'Poiret One', cursive;
      text-transform: uppercase;
      font-size: 160px;
      line-height:160px;

In font size,place your size.

Thanks.

rohitjain, Oct 1, 2013 IP
  18. rohitjain

rohitjain Member

Best Answers:
    Paragraph Letters Small:

.profile-icon .font-icon{
    line-height:80px;
    font-family: 'FontAwesome';
    color: #EC572C;
    font-size:30px;
    text-align:center;

Change font site as per your requirement.

rohitjain, Oct 2, 2013 IP