1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What will Paypal do if I don't pay back a negative balance?

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by donjz, Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Hi guys

I recently sold a phone on eBay for £110. I sent it standard first class so I didn't get any tracking information. A week later, the buyer opens a case on eBay saying that I didn't send the goods and since I have no way to prove it, the buyer won the case and now my account is in negative balance of £110.

I don't have any cards or banks linked to the account but it does have my full name and address, my family also use Paypal under the same address if that matters.

I don't have the money right now to pay the negative balance, what will happen if I just don't pay it? I've heard that they will hire a debt collector to get the money back. I'm in the UK if it matters.

Thanks

donjz, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  2. MyBB Hoster

MyBB Hoster Active Member

Best Answers:
    They ain't gonna do anything about it. I suggest you don't use them anymore either or get tracking next time for sold proof. Scammer's are all over the internet and the biggest one is the middleman.

MyBB Hoster, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  3. donjz

donjz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I heard that if you don't pay it, they'll take the money from other accounts with the same address. Two of my family members also use paypal with the same address and they have cards linked up to them, is this true?

donjz, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  4. donjz

donjz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I am only 15, I can't get into debt please help.

donjz, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  5. FreeFun4Every1

FreeFun4Every1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    They are going to do noting because They can't upload fund from your bank account or from credit card to your Paypal account.

FreeFun4Every1, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  6. NureA

NureA Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just change to moneybookers or smth. Paypal can be so irritating

NureA, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  7. karthimx

karthimx Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can't use paypal in future I guess.

karthimx, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  8. MyBB Hoster

Best Answers:
    You just wont be able to use paypal till you have paid that negative balance.

MyBB Hoster, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  9. amcg

amcg Active Member

Best Answers:
    I had the same thing happen and if your on about £££'s then I'm guessing your in the UK like me.

I dont want to worry you but I went into the negative about £60, due to the same reason as you. I refused to pay it as then I would of lost the money and the item and that is so unfair, but a couple months after I started getting bailiff letters for the amount on behalf of PayPal.
    I ended up paying it I didn't want to risk it going any further, and I got my account reactivated from PayPal.

It did teach me a big lesson to ALWAYS ensure I have proof of postage after that.

P.S even when sending items normal 1st class you can still get a receipt of postage at the Post Office, some times you have to ask for one and other post offices give you one anyway. Did you not even get a receipt or anything?

amcg, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  10. undergroundseo

undergroundseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are going to have issues if you try and open another paypal account with the same details. Otherwise, they are not going to be able to do anything else if you have no cards or bank information attached to the account.

undergroundseo, Sep 21, 2013 IP
  11. donjz

donjz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses. I received an email from Paypal today saying

Our records indicate that your PayPal account has a negative balance of £110.40 due to a recent transaction.

It's very important that you address the balance on your account today to ensure continued availability of your PayPal account and to avoid additional collection efforts.

I'm thinking that I might have to pay it but it means that I will have to sell a bunch of my stuff :(

donjz, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  12. donjz

donjz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've been reading up on it and people have said that they've recieved letters from debt collectors for as little as £20! Would Paypal be okay with my adding, say, £10 a week into the account or will they want the full payment?

donjz, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  13. amcg

amcg Active Member

Best Answers:
    As long as they can see your making regular payments to it like £10 a week that should suffice.
    But you could always email them to say that's what your going to do so they don't take any more action.

amcg, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  14. kantus

kantus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From what I heard, PayPal does not have authorization to take money out of any accounts linked to your PaYPal account without consent. They will not take money out of your account without permission from you and your bank. The only problem here is that paypal will just have to eat the negative balance until you decide to pay it back one day. But if you decide not to recoup the funds somehow (either from the buyer or from depositing your own funds) then you won't be able to use PayPal. It may also affect your family members accounts if they find any correlation between your account and their's.

kantus, Sep 27, 2013 IP
  15. donjz

donjz Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Alright, what do I do now? Paypal have limited my account access because they found out I wasn't 18, now I can't pay back the debt. Now I can't use Paypal at all and I still have debt

donjz, Sep 28, 2013 IP
  16. amcg

amcg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Phone them.
    You'll have to get Parental Consent or say you have Parental Consent.
    Tell them that you are willing to pay the amount back a bit at a time, but due to your age you can't do it all in one go.

amcg, Sep 28, 2013 IP
  17. RKC

RKC Banned

Best Answers:
    Leave that A/c and open a new one using a different name.

RKC, Sep 30, 2013 IP
  18. MyBB Hoster

Best Answers:
    What about the verification and the banking info? Its not gonna match the account holder. What happens next?

MyBB Hoster, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  19. RKC

RKC Banned

Best Answers:
    I already said "Different Name" in my above post. :D

RKC, Oct 2, 2013 IP
  20. MyBB Hoster

Best Answers:
    [quote"KC, post: 18747500, member: 501337"]I already said "Different Name" in my above post. :D[/quote]

Yeah a new name is obvious but what about verification? Say with CC or bank account. You can't use the new name can you?

MyBB Hoster, Oct 2, 2013 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.