1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question, Video versus Sales letter, what do you Prefer? To watch or Read?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by onedumbaussie, Sep 19, 2013.

G'day,

Been doing a lot of research into what people prefer to see lately.

Is the Old LONG FORM sales letter dead and being replaced by the 5 minute video?
    Having recently launched a new membership site I was really
    stuck between the 2.

Just Interested to hear your opinions as a BUYER.

Would you rather see a video explaining the product or read a sales letter.

Cheers In Advance.

Justin

onedumbaussie, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Justin, the logical question that comes to mind is why not do both? People in their 50's and what-not would probably prefer a letter over a video, the younger crowd, on the other hand, would more likely choose videos. And the goal should be: "How can I reach both groups?"

qwikad.com, Sep 19, 2013 IP
    onedumbaussie likes this.
  3. ninjamtlt1

ninjamtlt1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sales letters are not dead, there's a time and a place for each one, and advantages to using both. I prefer to watch videos personally, because I like to hear people talk instead of reading, whenever possible. Video just has a more personal touch.

ninjamtlt1, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  4. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    I prefer sales letter my computer is set for photo editing and I try to avoid online videos so I don't screw up my photo editing software

DEBooks, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'd rather read - depending on the value of the deal and the complexity of the product I may be prepared to watch a video after you have caught my attention.

sarahk, Sep 19, 2013 IP
  6. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    well.... for me, at work I use a computer that doesnt have speakers, and if you look at most offices, (or at least the ones I have been in), its not possible to watch a movie with sound without everyone nearby hearing it.

When I am at home, as soon as there is a video on, doesnt matter what it is, I have 2 kids that come running in and just 'have to' find out what I am watching, makes it very inconvenient to watch.

So here is what I prefer. I prefer a something that I can read, and it is an added bonus if there is a quick video. The video doesnt have to have the entire presentation, (or sales pitch), but could be used to emphasize a few of the pointers. Like perhaps instead of a single 10 min video, have 2-3 smaller ones, throughout the page, so I can have a choice of watching, reading, or both.
    IF there is only a video, I probly wont watch as in most times, its just not convenient. But if there is something that I can read, I probly will, and if I like it, I might even bookmark it and return just to watch the vid or to re-read before making a purchase.

matt_62, Sep 19, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  7. Angela Thomas

Angela Thomas Member

Best Answers:
    I like videos but I do not like to sit through a long presentation. I like matt_62's suggestions about combining the two methods; have a sales letter with 2-3 smaller videos throughout the page. I like the option of having the choice of what I want to listen to and I do not want to wait 10-20 minutes to find out what is being offered.

I have been hit by deals that have long videos. Afterwards, I had to sit through 2 to 3 more videos for optional upgrades and additional products. Sometimes I lose interest. I end up moving on to another offer. If there is a sales page, I will scroll down to get the information I need. This makes it easier because I do not have to wait until the presentation is over to buy.

Overall, I like a combination unless the individual makes a short presentation. I believe videos should be short and to the point. I am not buying the product for someone's background. That can be saved for the members area. Unfortunately, a lot of the videos give a full bio on the product owner making the videos longer than they should be.

I want the product to solve my problem. The answers are in the feature and benefits. This is what I look for.

Angela Thomas, Sep 19, 2013 IP
    sarahk and matt_62 like this.
  8. onedumbaussie

onedumbaussie Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the great Feedback.
    I have decided to go with a short video 2-3 Minutes and a sales letter.

The sales letter is cut down a bit But I like the way it has come out.

If your curious The page is in my sig.

Again thanks for the feedback it really has helped a lot.

Cheers all

Oda

onedumbaussie, Sep 20, 2013 IP
  9. Marketing King

Marketing King Peon

Best Answers:
    I would much, much, much rather see a video, its so much more engaging. However, a little bit of content also helps.

Marketing King, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  10. Christian Networking

Christian Networking Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have one site which uses videos for testimonials. I also read my sales page into a video and place it on top. This is based on my own surfing experiencw where I'd listen to a video, get board with reading the pitch so open up a new browser, but keep listening to the video. If something peaks my interest from the audio in the video I go back to the sales page.

Rick

Christian Networking, Sep 24, 2013 IP
  11. London Internet Marketing

London Internet Marketing Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't mind either text or video.
    The video should not drone on and on though - if it is short I will watch to the end.
    Otherwise I will close the page.