1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Questions related to duplicate content

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by wordpecker, Sep 15, 2013.

Hi members, I had a site up and running. From 9th September 95% traffic dropped, no warning message or nothing in GWT. I know this is the effect of any new Google algo change. The roll out started on 4th September. Whatever, now I am focusing more on content rather than anything else. Therefore, I want to know what to do with these contents? Say, there are more than 1000 articles having 200+- word per post.

Can I use the contents in a new blog after making minor changes?

I am not using 301 redirect or letting Google know about any address change from GWT. I simply want to combine old post contents to make new contents with higher word count.

This is duplicate content, I know that. But if I keep the original source offline, I mean, I am putting the original site down so that Google can't crawl it any longer. Traces will be there everywhere, like Facebook, G+, Feed sites, Bookmarking sites etc. Anybody can identify the original source by running a free tool. Google is also not that dumb either. :) I know that.

Will it be considered as valuable as original content if they belong to same G+ profile? Or next Panda is waiting for me? I will be keeping the author name, G+ profile same. But it will come under a new site. Also consider that I am not using a 301 redirect or using Google Site change policies.

What is the best way to make the fullest use of old contents?

Note: Please don't write nonsense words to increase post count. This is a serious question and thrown to experts.

wordpecker, Sep 15, 2013 IP
  2. Dale2004

Dale2004 Peon

Best Answers:
    Take a look at the following articles mate:

http://www.dansseocopywriting.com/seo-copywriting-services/duplicate-content-website-rewriting/

http://www.seobykeli.com/seo-copywriting-tips/

http://www.rosshudgens.com/content-rewrites-are-dead/

http://webdesign.tutsplus.com/articles/seo-articles/how-to-solve-duplicate-content/

These should be able to help :)

Dale2004, Sep 15, 2013 IP
  3. wordpecker

wordpecker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Dale2004 thanks for the input. I have gone through all the resources. It seems rewriting is the only way left. But this is a time consuming process. Any other idea highly appreciated.

wordpecker, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  4. goodstudy

goodstudy Banned

Best Answers:
    google will not indexed these duplicate contents

goodstudy, Sep 16, 2013 IP
    VukasinI likes this.
  5. khemraj

khemraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Now a days, even rewriting is also not an option. You will have to start afresh.

And it doesn't matter if put your old site offline and move the content to new one. Google already have those pages in it's index and already know the original source of that content. Google doesn't match your content with other online site. It actually matches your content with it's own index.

Though you can first get all the pages of your old site de-indexed and make sure no snippet of any of your old content is present there on the internet and then wait for couple of weeks and then start moving the old content to new one.

This trick may work for you ;) as worked or others :)

khemraj, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  6. wordpecker

wordpecker Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Khemraj. You suggestion is considered with importance. Waiting for more ideas.

wordpecker, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  7. lesterj

lesterj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm going to be straight with you. This might be a little blunt. It's not meant to offend, just to be perfectly honest and lead you in the right direction.

I'd question how much value the content would have if it's just recycled content from another site that got penalized, especially content that has 200 words. When I hear that a site has 1000 articles all with around 200 words, it sounds to me like a site that is just putting up content to put up content (and probably to optimize for a 1000 different keywords). Maybe your site is the exception and you actually have high quality content, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

Just creating content for the sake of having content or even to optimize for more keywords, isn't a good strategy. You'll just have a bunch of pages that have no authority because no one links to them or shares them and so they probably won't rank for anything anyway. You'd be better served to take a little time and create less content, but make it truly, good, original, valuable, remarkable content that people would want to share and link to.

I know the above doesn't directly address your question or whether you can get away with reusing your old content, but that's because I think you're approaching the question from the wrong perspective. Look at the content from the old site and try to honestly assess where any of it would be valuable to people today, would anyone link to or share that content? Did any one link to the content on the old site? That's where I think you need to start and I get the sense that if you do that, you'll find that the old content probably isn't worth reusing.

lesterj, Sep 16, 2013 IP
  8. webdev007

webdev007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    IMO you can rewrite or use the same contents on new website and take off the old original site. If you don't want to go for 301 then you need to again put the same (or may be more) effort to rank those contents in SERPs. Contents may be treated as duplicate if they can be available from different sources at the same time, but not be the so in your case as you are thinking to take off your old website.

webdev007, Sep 16, 2013 IP