1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

To do what I like but not making money or to do what I don't like but making money

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by drmd, Sep 5, 2013.

Hi DP members, lemme be straight.
    Honestly, I don't really like doing internet marketing, but it makes me money. The thing that I like (is much more like a hobby) might make me money but not as much as internet marketing (just prediction).
    So, which one do you think is best? To do what I like or to do what I don't like?

drmd, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You will have a minimum you need to earn to live, pay bills etc.

Assuming your hobby meets that minimum I'd go with that with the following provisos
    • if your hobby becomes your job will you still enjoy it as much?
    • is the market for your hobby's output likely to remain profitable?
      Once upon a time you could sell macrame plant hangers more quickly than you could make them. A year later and nobody was interested.
      [​IMG]
    • Is it possible that being successful earning a living from your hobby relies on a level of sales ability or inter-personal skill that you don't have?

sarahk, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  3. FTS!

FTS! Member

Best Answers:
    It's up to you buddy :)
    If the thing that you like might make you money, you can try it and see if you make any money doing that.

FTS!, Sep 5, 2013 IP
  4. Instantser

Instantser Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Why not do both, your hobby because yo enjoy it, and IM to make money?:confused:

Instantser, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  5. DEBooks

DEBooks Guest

Best Answers:
    Keep at the Internet marketing - but apply the tactics from the internetmarketing to your hobby and make money from both

DEBooks, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  6. Isadore Gregory

Isadore Gregory Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest you do what you don't like and save as much money as you can. Then, maybe once you have enough money, you can build a business on that which you really like to do. This is a useful strategy of many. If you go too early to that which you like to do but you're not prepared for it, you'll most probably end up hating it.

Isadore Gregory, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  7. drmd

drmd Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hobby does not meet that minimum earning to pay bills, etc etc.

Hmm.

People I know who do my hobby as job get steady small income since couple years ago.

Problem is it's specific niche, not lots of people are interested in it, there aren't many people buying.

drmd, Sep 6, 2013 IP
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The very fact that you are questioning whether your hobby can support you, is a strong indicator that it will not, at least in the short to medium term. I have been in high tech for 20+ years and have seen many budding entrepreneurs "follow their dream" by doing what they like as opposed to doing what has been making them money only to fail miserably. Sometimes, it has even been hard for those folks to come back to the business that they left and they find themselves stranded, economically.

So, my advice is to be careful about stopping doing what is working to try something that you "think" will be fun for you to do. Yes, I have heard the axiom, "do a job that you love and you will never work a day in your life" but that is only true if it meets your economic goals, as well.

jrbiz, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Well that's your answer
    A friend's husband makes awesome fibreglass remote controlled racing boats and sells them internationally. On a global scale "not many people" are interested in that either but it's profitable because those that do appreciate his skill and pay accordingly.

sarahk, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  10. TheAnimatorGuy

TheAnimatorGuy Member

Best Answers:
    Well, you can just try both and then decide what makes you happier. Try working as Internet Marketer and have your hobby. Then try living only with your hobby and leave IM. After few days - go clear your mind and think what life fulfilled you more.

But you can also do a compromise. If you don't like IM at all, but it makes you money, go for the balance of time taker and money maker, so you will do far less internet marketing, but it will make you still some cash so you can live a normal life with your hobby as your main entertainment.

TheAnimatorGuy, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  11. DanMcMor

DanMcMor Peon

Best Answers:
    To do what is profitable wether you like or not...
    who cares ;)

DanMcMor, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  12. Howard Lim

Howard Lim Active Member

Best Answers:
    Actually, in my opinion. You can do both, there is not really a need to choose.

First step would be to concentrate on internet marketing which is keeping you alive and giving you a comfortable lifestyle.
    After which, when you have expanded enough, go get yourself some affiliates and slowly start to automate everything such that it only takes you 1 hour to complete manage your business.

When that is achieved then you would be able to leisurely develop your interest or do what you need to do, etc.

That way you would be able to get the best of both worlds. A strong and stable income and some free time to do whatever you like.

Howard Lim, Sep 12, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  13. Yeo CH

Yeo CH Peon

Best Answers:
    May I suggest you first tackle on what you do not like in IM. Then, how can you make yourself to quite like IM. If it is dirty tricks or dishonesty in IM, then, tackle that. What aspects of IM bother you?

Bye

Yeo CH, Sep 13, 2013 IP
  14. Isadore Gregory

Isadore Gregory Member

Best Answers:
    You really have a good point. If ever he plans to switch to something he wants to do, it must be done with careful planning and he must be prepared for it. If it's going to be his sole income source, he's probably going to be in a lot of trouble. Preparation is the key. It's not impossible though for him to have his dream one day, but he must prepare well for it. There is just no shortcut.

Isadore Gregory, Sep 13, 2013 IP