1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Keyword Research Method

Discussion in 'Keywords' started by Charlie Apple, Sep 7, 2013.

I have gathered the way I personally do keyword research from many sources. The majority of those are smartpassiveincome.com, viperchill.com, source-wave.com, challenge.co, empire flippers, nichepursuits.com to name the ones that I have gotten most of my info from. I am far from reinventing the wheel here guys and this info isn't new or ground breaking and I am fairly new to this but I have gone out and ranked a few websites and made a couple dollars so my collaboration might be of value to you. So here we go!…

What Niche & kw (KeyWords) to start looking for
    In the back of my mind I know what my likes, interests, and dislikes are but I keep an open mind and don't rule too many things out. By the way, This process is for building niche sites but you can apply many of these concepts for kw research towards anything.

I use 2 tools initially. Somewhere to brainstorm ideas. This could be inside your own head or browsing through magazines, amazon, click bank, google searches. Sometimes I don't even do this, sometimes I just go to tool #2. The second tool is (use to be Google keyword tool) the new keyword planner. Not sure if i like it better but whatever.

https://adwords.google.com/ko/KeywordPlanner/Home?__u=6746946270&__c=4901019270

When I am looking I have to think to myself, do people care enough about this and is there enough of an interest to make some money and get people do to something (buy, optin to email list and then buy) the only exception to this is adsense because the visitor simply clicks it but remember the people behind the ads have to care (decent $ cpc). So no "cool pictures of pinky fingers" keywords okay? It could be a physical product keyword and then make a product review site. It could be info on a topic like how to care for a exotic pet and then sell someone else guide or make your own. I pick main kw and then build it out to target smaller keywords as well.

Search Volume
    This took me a while to figure out but you want to look at local exact searches, which means the exact kw in your country. If your just starting out you can go for a kw that has a bit lower search volume than I would normally recommend. Shoot for 500-1000 local exacts. Otherwise I would say 2000- 6000 exacts. Not an exact science here, I definitely go for keywords that are 1000-2000 all the time and they work great. Keep in mind that your site will get picked up for other keywords (thus traffic) all by it self and you should be targeting similar kw's too. All of the smaller keywords should be optimized on inner pages and a few should also be optimized on the homepage.

Commerciality
    Next I think if I can make money with it. For Adsense I look for at least 60-70 cents a click. Ideally $1+. If its a physical product I want to see if Amazon (or other aff. site) is selling this well. With a physical or intangible product look around and if people are buying elsewhere than they would probably buy from you.

Once I think it is a decent keyword I will put it in Market Samurai. I have heard great things about Long tail pro, I would eventually like to buy it but I have not yet. With Market Samurai I am mostly only concerned with SEO portion of this tool. It Shows the top ten google results for that kw and a breakdown of metrics. The only metrics I really care about are:

- PR (page rank)
    Most need to be green and 0-1 pr. Mostly 0's with a few 1-3 pr's are good keywords.

- BLP (backlinks to page)
    Most under 100 is good. Many good kw will have all 0, those are the golden ones.

- Title (on page SEO)
    - URL (on page SEO)
    - Desc (on page SEO)
    - Head (on page SEO)

A weakness in all these metrics shows this kw is under the radar and no one is gunning for it. If no websites have on page SEO for it then they aren't trying to rank for it. Also look at the domains.

If you are trying to rank for a product and huge stores like walmart, best buy etc are all there and no little sites then keep looking. I have ranked great (#1-3) with only 1 or 2 big sites like this on the first page but don't go for it if they are all big sites. Also if it is not a product related kw but all the domains are big ones like Opera, Livestrong, etc I personally have not had luck with these and would not recommend it. There are too many other good kw out there with little sites that you can beat up on!Even if all the metrics look great don't do it with these ranking domains!

My method also includes building out sites larger with more pages 100+ to stick around for the long term with google. I start out small with 5-15 pages and if it starts ranking and doing okay I will make it a larger site. Some just won't take off and rank well for what other reason and others will rank 3rd within a few days or week with only on page seo! I have made a few sites that have the kw in the domain and I built it into a starter site to see what happens with no back links and just on page seo and they rank first page fast for 1500-2000 exacts. Not huge search volume but not bad either?! Thats the fun of it, to your success!

- Charlie

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Charlie Apple, Sep 7, 2013 IP
    malcsimm, TiborSzalay and heartnet02 like this.
  2. moecro

moecro Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you did your research. I also have a similar method. Be careful when interlinking multiple websites if you own a lot. Could possibly get slapped by google. If its on the same server though.

moecro, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  3. Charlie Apple

Charlie Apple Active Member

Best Answers:
    they are on the same hosting but i never interlink them:)

Charlie Apple, Sep 9, 2013 IP
  4. malcsimm

malcsimm Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Kudos Charlie - you have carefully worked out a solid system here that is working for you. Well done indeed.

I've got a few suggestions I could make on the keyword research front but let's leave that the now.

What caught my eye was how quickly you can build sites. Will you share your mapping process for your "quick, 12 to 15 page site" which you make just as a tester?

I'm impressed! Churning out content like that which Google likes is impressive!

Do you write the content yourself? Do you map out every single page with keywords (I presume you do). Do you use a spreadsheet for this? If so, would you be prepared to share a template, pretty please? LOL

Cheers, Malc

malcsimm, Oct 4, 2013 IP
  5. ktp2012

ktp2012 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is good info

I used below keyword tool
    trends.google
    This website will display the popularity of specific search terms and phrases.
    If you enter in a keyword such as “Dog Training”, it will show you exactly how many people are searching for that specific term. You can use this tool to determine how popular a niche market is, as well as how common certain keywords are.
    Compete
    Compete provides information including keywords and rank used by competitors in your market. They can be used to tell which keywords your competitors are targeting, and which ones they are ranking for. This can help you compete on a new level with them

answers.yahoo
    This is a great way to locate common questions that people are seeking answers to.

WordTracker
    WordTracker is one of the most well-known and popular keyword tools. Its results aren’t the most accurate in terms of traffic numbers, but it does give you a wide variety of keywords.
    It is said that you should multiply the numbers it gives you by around 3-10 to get an accurate reflection of the total number of searches on Google, or on all major search engines.
    The paid version will allow you to get unlimited keywords at a time, but they also have a free version available at ; freekeywords.wordtracker

ktp2012, Oct 7, 2013 IP
  6. amyluis

amyluis Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks....
    It is useful keyword tool for high ranking website.
    I used below keyword.....
    Keyword Discovery:
    Keyword Discovery compiles keyword search statistics from all the major search engines world wide, to create the most powerful Keyword
    Research tool.
    Google Keyword Tool
    SEO Digger

amyluis, Oct 8, 2013 IP
  7. CollaboBlogging

CollaboBlogging Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Anymore I really build websites based on the potential for long-tail traffic. I'll pick a strong URL and start creating content for a few different long-tail phrases, that might only send me 10 visits a month, but with a few pages that can add up. If I start ranking and see traffic, then I can keep building it.

It's kind of like a "not having your eggs all in one basket approach". Rather than one or a few keywords driving all the traffic, I prefer to be able to add content for anything within my particular topic and start to rank for that long tail phrase.

A hypothetical example would be "video recipes" (remember, hypothetical, I haven't done this keyword, just an example). Assuming Video Recipes wasn't super competitive, one could register something like videorecipeschannel.com and have a strong domain name for that phrase. Now, you probably won't rank for video recipes very quickly, but if you add a "Lasagna Video Recipe" and the url is something like videorecipeschannel.com/lasagna-video-recipe then you might in the first 5 for "lasagna video recipes" almost instantly.

The above is just an example, I doubt it would really work with these keywords but you can see how it supposed to look. This takes as much research and inventiveness as any other keyword strategy, but I find this model often leads to a pretty simple content structure, just adding a video or a link or something for any kind of long tail keyword that might send some visitors, and with Google's recent emphasis on freshness, that helps. I've got this working well for at least one site, tried it a few other times but, as always, its sometimes hard to come up with good niches.

Anyway, that's my two cents.

CollaboBlogging, Oct 9, 2013 IP
    malcsimm likes this.