1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Interested in starting an investment firm - how?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by stolpioni, Sep 3, 2013.

Hi,

I just watched the movie "Margin Call" and I'm interested in starting an investment firm.
    I know practically nothing about stocks and honestly, I don't even know to a 100% what an investment firm does.

I also know that Jordan Belfort (for you who know who that is) did the same thing.

How much money will I need? What do I need to learn? Is it easy to make money with?

I got a couple of million dollars to invest in this...question is, would that be enough?

And I reckon I might come across as a troll or just plain ignorant. And when it comes to stocks, yes, then I'm truly ignorant. Question is just, how much do I need to know?

I'm just doing some research here to explore the possibilities. If someone could help out with some tips that would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

stolpioni, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    When dealing with other people's money (which is what investment firms do) you need to be qualified and have the legal paperwork sorted. I'd recommend you get a job at someone else's investment firm for a few years or else potential customers won't have confidence in you.

If you have a couple of million dollars to invest then you must be reasonably smart - smart enough to have seen the shit that Enron, Madoff etc have got into and to know that its not something to dabble with. Either go hard or not at all.

sarahk, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  3. stolpioni

stolpioni Peon

Best Answers:
    Hard is the only way I know how to go Sarah.
    I'm not really qualified to get a job at an investment firm...nor am I interested in doing so.
    It won't be me sitting there trading the stocks however, I will get some really bright kids to do that and put them on commission.

All I'm wondering is basically this: If I don't mind going the extra mile and do some "grey area" stuff...is it easy money? I mean I look at Belfort and while he seems like a moderately intelligent guy
    he's basically just a salesman with some entrepreneurial spirit. If he could make billions with this stuff, I'm pretty sure I can do so as well. After all, 95% of what Belfort did was legit. I'm going to do it 100% legit,
    but like I said...I don't mind doing some "unethical" stuff.

4. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Belfort is very motivational, reading his books definitely inspired me.. you can do it, but I don't think many people on these forums will know much about starting an investment firm. I would love to work at an investment firm or start one of my own one day, but it requires serious amounts of money. If I were you I would put in hours doing research so you can learn more about how running an investment firm works and how to get started.

You might find help on here but most people on these forums are internet businesses.

cronik, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  5. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You most certainly come off as a troll. You are admittedly totally unqualified to work at, own, or even speak about an investment bank. But, of course, you want to start one.
    In just two short posts you have admitted to being an unethical and ignorant twit. Please troll somewhere else.

browntwn, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  6. cronik

cronik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

He could definitely be a troll, cause if he had a couple million he probably wouldn't come to DP forums to ask about it lol.

cronik, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  7. stolpioni

stolpioni Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply cronik! I'll see what information I can find.

browntown: I said "unethical" in QUOTES. What is unethical and not is subjective...and as long as it's not against the law, who are you to judge me?
    I'm not planning on fucking people over or stealing anyone's money. You know, I want to sleep at night as well.

8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    By posting on an open forum you are asking half the planet to judge you.

sarahk, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  9. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Wasn't your other thread here a question about starting a charity so you could "take" 50% of the contributions people made to the charity for yourself? Your ethics have been laid bare in just a few short posts on this forum. But, let's be honest, you are just trolling here anyway. We all gave you the attention you were craving so don't pretend to be offended.

browntwn, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  10. AppyArry

AppyArry Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, investing in stocks is itself a risk. People hardly earn from this market and it doesn't matter how many bucks you invest.

About knowledge, yes its tough to learn stocks in a day and may be there are stock advisers who can support you with their knowledge in investing your money in a well manner.

As you are a starter, you can try with some bucks of your hard earn money. And sooner with the market fluctuations you will let you understand everything.

AppyArry, Sep 4, 2013 IP
    charmtolucky likes this.
  11. s.molinari

s.molinari Member

Best Answers:
    There is no such thing as easy money in any business. Anyone who makes good money is usually a very hard worker and has learned a lot about whatever they are earning money with. Have you ever heard of the 10,000 hour rule? If you haven't, here is something to think about.

http://www.educationrevolution.org/blog/how-the-10000-hour-rule-benefits-us/

Scott

s.molinari, Sep 4, 2013 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  12. Jeffrey Witt

Jeffrey Witt Member

Best Answers:
    1. Get incorporated and hire a lawyer if you do in fact have the funds to do it to get all of the legal work done after making sure you are completely qualified and licensed if you need to be so all the work is all for not. You should try and find someone to partner with that knows the business so you are not the only person at risk. It is always easier if you have a partner that can make up in certain areas you are lacking and vice versa

2. Once you have all your bases covered on the legal end and get incorporated make sure that your company name is registered in the states you plan to operate or get investments in.

3. If you plan on doing this on your own try and recruit coherant family members that can assist you in groundwork and overall organization of business matters

4. Have a website built by a designer. As I own my own web design company I will tell you that it is important that this step is done properly as the website will serve as your biggest selling point to possible investors as they are not going to just hand over money without a professional feel to your company and online profile

5. Take out advertisements on all major networks (google adsense, bing, facebook, yahoo and investment firm websites offering affiliate advertising)

6. Start sending out email newsletters on investements and start doing SEO for your website to further your online reach

*** From there it is basically doing the day to day grind in my opinion **

Jeffrey Witt, Sep 4, 2013 IP
  13. Michael Leng

Michael Leng Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, once I have learned somethings that attacking to ignite and also inspiring for doing own biz. They said, if one want to be the biz. owner, must and must to learn for both the Success & Failure stories.

Not all business situate to one.

So, pick the only one we specialize for running.

The basic elements of business management are:

4 M Concept: Money Man Machine Method.

1 Money, How many amount to invest for such that kind of biz? To loan more? What's interest rate today? How much installment+interest have to pay back to bank monthly? How many profit and loss(possible) in each month being getting?

2 Man, How many skill and un-skill workers will be fulfill a company?

3 Machine, Do we have tools, equipment, office supplies, office building? Where? Location strategy study result? Customer?

4 Method, What are the whole process of company? Is there any politics and law to be complied? How logistics and Supply chains concern to the biz?

I don't have any direct experience to investment company. I don't watch the mentioned film yet. Nevertheless, I have done some biz by only thinking it could be done. Eventually, result were not as expect at all!!!

Michael Leng, Sep 4, 2013 IP
  14. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    when I read your question this is what I feel like i am reading:
    I think before you go into business, you should do a business course. Most CEO's have done alot of business training, which is kinda important. I dont even know if you have the skills to be a good manager, and able to hire and fire, as well as manage other aspects of a company, and this isnt even talking about delivering the product.
    Your basically gonna have people coming to you for advice.... what advice can you give them if you are still learning yourself? Another thing is, if I have $xxxx to invest, how can you instill trust to me that you and your company can be trusted?

From what I have read, you might make a great silent partner for someone else (or a team of others) that are keen to start this sort of business, but there is really no way that you could start this yourself.

matt_62, Sep 4, 2013 IP
    charmtolucky and sarahk like this.