1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Content Duplication

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by cnjai20, Sep 3, 2013.

Hello All,

I am handling a website that have both english and french version. My doubts are as follows
    1. Urls remains the same (english) for both the language
    2. What are the contents present in the english version the same was translated to french, we didn't write in french version.

The above points will meet "content duplication" issue ?

cnjai20, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    If it's translated in a different language then why are the URL's the same?

dcristo, Sep 3, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  3. royalstar_23

royalstar_23 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    As long as it you are having the same website on single domain, With language switcher. You dont have to worry about the content duplication..

royalstar_23, Sep 3, 2013 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  4. Umer Hafeez

Umer Hafeez Active Member

Best Answers:
    Research more over it, or wait for a GURU to answer I read somewhere if this the case for long then can affect your ranking

Umer Hafeez, Sep 4, 2013 IP
  5. Michael Levanduski

Michael Levanduski Active Member

Best Answers:
    The same content in different languages is not duplicate. Basically every company that does international business has their site in a variety of different languages. This is a good thing that adds to the users experience on the site.

Google won't punish you for that.

Michael

Michael Levanduski, Sep 4, 2013 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  6. ManiQuadraincorp

ManiQuadraincorp Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yaa its correct . .But content was same mean google does not consider your blogs. Once posting like unique content means surly google will accepted .

ManiQuadraincorp, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  7. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    I would try to answer your question:
    1. Different Content on the same URL could be bad idea.
      This is why if you change the whole content, SE may start to devalue the url (Temporary but could be permanently. The rank will be back to normal/even better in future if the content is better than previous article)
      Most search engine hate URL which has different content. Different content in same URL mean 'cloaking' or 'Deceiving' content.
      Off-Course there are correct ways to make SE accept it. However, I am not going to discuss about it in this thread.
      I could not say if your site would perform 'low/bad' is SE due to this practice because I didn't know the URL of your site. Each site and implementation will have in different result.
    2. Plugins developer already aware it is better to serve different URL for the translated content. However, some of them think it may cause problem if the plugin was deactivated.
      To solve this problem, they would make the canonical which point to original article. Another easy method is by using flash implementation to translate the content via jquery under same URL. However they serve Bots from SE with original content only. Nice implementation.
    So the answer for your questions are:
    It may cause problem for you if you implement it in wrong method. Read my explanation above.
    I am not quite understand the question but I would try to answer it.
    I was thinking the french maybe visible only for visitor and not for SE (using JavaScript or Jquery).
    1. If you ask all people whether the same is exactly similar and have no grammatical errors in both English and French, you should ask people whom speak french.
    2. If you were asking whether SE would see the french version as 'English' sentences, just go to search engine, Type the URL and choose 'Cached' or 'View Cache'. You will see the difference. Sound easy right. :)
    3. Using text based browser while turning off Java Script is good idea to test your site. Off course it depend on your site implementation.
    I would say it maybe has nothing to do with Content Duplication. Content duplication will only happen if you have different URL with same content.
    I would say you may get 'Cloaking/Deceiving' penalization (unnoticed penalization which result in poor appearance in SE).
    I have to warn you if SE may (not always) hate any URL which 'double' the article by 'translating' and hide it with CSS, Script or Jquery. If the article add useful value to visitor, SE may like it.
    Hmm, Language Switcher? I believe You were referring on 'using Sub-Domain' (under the same domain) or different URL with some attributes (rel="alternate" and hreflang="our selected language") for translated article. Surely it would not cause content penalization because:
    1. Plugin developer is kind enough by creating canonical which point it to original article or they use another attribute to guide bots better understanding the sites.
      They use 'Alternate' and hreflang so Local search engine would show the result based on local preferences. (Google Spanish will show Spanish version while Google EN will show English version in the same URL. Courtesy 'alternate' and 'hreflang' attributes)
    2. By no-indexing the whole sub-domain to avoid duplicate content.
    I am agree with you.
    If We looks carefully, The sites were using sub-domains or different URL to serve visitor and bots with different content (ex: '/en/', '/fr/', etc).
    It mean there are two different URLs and contents. Surely SE love it because there is no duplicate content and the articles are helpful for visitors.
    Big company already aware of the duplicate content and they paid lots of money to their site administrator to solve the problem. We could learn from what they did and implement it on our site. We have to learn from the best, am I right? :)

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
    Arick unirow, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  8. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    Your site can be in different languages, but when it is translated then it would have different url according to the language..

for example: en.yourdomain.com/your-keyword.html
    fr.yourdomain.com/your-keyword.html

If you are using Wordpress then there are many plugins to translate content.

SERPpoint, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  9. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    No no no no no!!! You should not use automated translations if you care about your users.

dcristo, Sep 7, 2013 IP
  10. vjpvjp

vjpvjp Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i put tags on blogspot
    does it duplicate ?

vjpvjp, Sep 8, 2013 IP
  11. esther.paul

esther.paul Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey Buddy,
    The first thing is you might be using some kinda plugin for doing the translation task. If yes then there is no chance that the URL to be the same?
    Can you recheck it to confirm?

esther.paul, Sep 8, 2013 IP