1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Change domain name

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by felomeno, Aug 29, 2013.

Hello,

I have been running my site on a .net domain for almost 10 years. Some time ago I managed to purchase the .com. My question is: should I change my site (fairly large forum) to the new .com domain or should I just stick with the old one?

I know Google webmaster tools provides us with a tool to do such thing. However I have never tried it before so I really don't know what to expect as 90% of my visitors come from Google.

Something tells me not to do it :(

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    felomeno, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  2. sharlly

sharlly Peon

Best Answers:
    301 redirect is the most efficient and Search Engine Friendly method for webpage redirection.

sharlly, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  3. james121

james121 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can redirect old to new domain with the help of 301 redirect and i am sure that your website ranking position and traffic will not be affect so don't worry you can do it.

james121, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  4. seoraviraj

seoraviraj Member

Best Answers:
    You must have to use permanent redirection 301 for new .com site

seoraviraj, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  5. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would follow what everyone above said, but also let all your existing members know by mass email (which is a perfect time to include an advertisement) or a sticky across the board. I hate going to a site when they change domains, I'm just too impatient to wait for the redirect. haha

superrichguy, Aug 29, 2013 IP
  6. felomeno

felomeno Peon

Best Answers:
    So what you are saying is that if I use 301 redirects my ranking at Google would not be affected at all?

felomeno, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  7. james121

james121 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes but may be in little movement.

james121, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  8. patco

patco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No, you will NOT see any changes after the redirection, because this redirection tells Google to REDIRECT EVERY backlink from the old website to your new website. So if you have a backlink from this forum that points to your .net website, then .net redirects to .com, so it's the same! Just after a few days after the redirection your old ranking should be OK! :)

patco, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  9. SERPpoint

SERPpoint Active Member

Best Answers:
    It would be OK, if you keep working on your .net domain as you are running a forum so it would have huge number of posts, members, and you may have built brand name too.... no one can guarantee that your ranking would drop or not after 301 redirect...

SERPpoint, Aug 30, 2013 IP
  10. seoraviraj

seoraviraj Member

Best Answers:
    No, There are little bit dropping in your ranking but if you have no other chance then you have to move ahead and building more branding strategies....

seoraviraj, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  11. Ricky Martins

Ricky Martins Member

Best Answers:
    If you will use 301 redirection then your domain rank will not be effected. It will take some time to move your all back link to your new .com domain.

Ricky Martins, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  12. iamOD

iamOD Member

Best Answers:
    Just make sure the 301 redirect is done right. If people have bookmarked your threads or try to visit them, you want it to redirect to the same thread on the new domain. If you don't know how to do that with regex in .htaccess then I'd hire someone to help - it can save you a lot of time and effort.

iamOD, Sep 3, 2013 IP
  13. royalstar_23

royalstar_23 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    No after redirection 301. You will not get the effect, Try to optimize the new site as well.. And get the benifit from old traffic as well as new domain traffic,.. Use PPC advertisements simultaneously with the SEO..

royalstar_23, Sep 3, 2013 IP