1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Question about putting a website on maintenance mode for 1 week

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by AGS, Sep 1, 2013.

Hi all.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question, apologies if it is not.

I have an online shopping cart and some of the products rank very well on Google, I would like to take a one week holiday towards the end of September. Now I don't want to leave the shopping cart open and come back to masses of orders so I was thinking of putting the site into maintenance mode for the whole week, this will leave a maintenance page on every single page of the cart (approx 220 pages.)

My question is this: will doing that affect my SEO on the popular pages or as it's only for one week will I be OK?

Many thanks for any advice.

Solved! View solution.
    AGS, Sep 1, 2013 IP
    Why don't you keep the products catalog open while the order system close ?
    It will make your customers and new buyers still can look at your products, while you on vacation..

Completely close the website with a message under maintenance, will affecting your seo..

If I were you, I will just create notification on every page, saying the order system is under maintenance and any inquiry (sometime buyers contact us via email or our contact page for ordering products), will be processed after date xx-xx-2013..

Good luck and enjoy your vacation.. :)

bluebenz, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    God! why not?

Close down the cart and not only will you lose those sales, they'll find somewhere else and probably won't come back to you.

I'd leave the pages live and the order system open - but put a message up saying that orders won't be processed until after the date that you return.

sarahk, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  4. vijaychauhan007

vijaychauhan007 Member

Best Answers:
    I think you got your reply in the first message itself. Do not change the whole site, just close the order system. Because keeping in maintenance mode for a week will affect your site rankings and you will have no assurity that you might get them back

vijaychauhan007, Sep 1, 2013 IP
  5. AGS

AGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Many thanks for the replies everyone!!!

I'll take bluebenz's advice. :cool:

AGS, Sep 2, 2013 IP