1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Differences between 'different' types of writing

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by TPvinod, Aug 1, 2013.

Can someone explain the difference and meaning of the following terms in Writing?

1) Content Writing vs Copywriting
    2) Ghost Writing vs Killer Writing
    3) Article Writing vs Blog Writing

As a writer myself, though I know the meaning of some of the terms listed above, I would like to know the 'exact' difference of these terms in writing.

I need help from expert writers and other writing counterparts to help me understand the difference. (Please don't copy paste definitions from the web here)

TPvinod, Aug 1, 2013 IP
  2. George T.

George T. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    What i know from my experience is the difference between the first two.

Content writing is writing something about a specific topic.
    You want to inform someone about something.

Copywriting is writing something trying to sell something.
    Your point here is to sell something so what you write is going to be different!

George T., Aug 1, 2013 IP
  3. TPvinod

TPvinod Active Member

Best Answers:
    George, in your definition of 'copywriting', I think you are referring to 'sales writing' which is another different form of writing.

TPvinod, Aug 1, 2013 IP
  4. George T.

George T. Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I gave this answer because i only heard copywriting for sales pages etc.etc.
    As i said maybe i miss some things hehe :)

George T., Aug 1, 2013 IP
  5. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:

Content writing - can apply to anything in written form (except sales stuff) because, by definition, you're 'writing content' and 'content' is just that - the 'contents' of a website, blog, etc.

Copywriting - Sales stuff, advertising, buy this now, you need this thing because, blah blah blah - you want someone to invest money in something

Ghost writing - covers anything one person writes for someone else for that someone else to claim as their own

Killer writing - writing that kills? I dunno what this means, other than being some colorful way of saying 'good writing'.

Article writing - covers writing articles

Blog writing - covers writing blog entries

Senobia, Aug 2, 2013 IP
  6. aamir.alvi3

aamir.alvi3 Member

Best Answers:
    I see these words quite self-descriptive.

aamir.alvi3, Aug 27, 2013 IP
  7. Marc Pesci

Marc Pesci Peon

Best Answers:
    Here's a somewhat outside the box description to differentiate content and copywriting.

Content writing is offering information. It's primarily geared to inform and educate. It tends to be extremely cerebral. Look at what most corporations use to fill up their websites. It's mostly just content. But it's not the kind of writing that drives immediately action.

Copywriting is essentially demonstrating the art and science of creating that sometimes elusive emotional connection. It's conversational in style.

Copywriting is putting yourself in the shoes of the people on your website and instantly finding a way to resonate with whatever their circumstances are...

...trying to drive specific, immediate action.

It's like you and I are sitting down at a coffee shop. We're just having a conversation. It tends to break all the grammatical rules that you're taught in school. Because you're keeping the copy light and simple.

However...

Underneath the exterior of just "having a conversation," you're hitting some deep emotional triggers by discussing the exact circumstances your prospects are experiencing right now. If you're on the mark, you'll get a lot of people to take you up on your invitation to press that "buy now" button.

If you're off the mark, people won't read your copy. If you don't connect with the emotions of your prospects, they'll get bored and bounce.

Article writing? Blogging?

You can write a blog written in direct response style or keep more content-oriented.

It just depends on your intentions for what you want the copy to achieve.

Most article writers spew out content.

A copywriter can write an article that makes you do something - even if it isn't about buying a damn thing.

Marc

Marc Pesci, Aug 28, 2013 IP
    Vlasic likes this.
  8. Angelpie

Angelpie Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know the definition of killer writing, but I know it when I see it. Killer content writing makes you want to read more of what that person has to say. Killer copywriting makes you want to buy whatever they have to sell.

Angelpie, Sep 5, 2013 IP