1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Back To School At Age 40

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Susan Velez, Aug 22, 2013.

I just started school on Monday; no I am not your typical college student. I am 40 years old. Going back to school is not something that I ever thought that I would do.

The truth is that I never went to college when I was 20. I got out of school and went straight into the military. However, now at 40 I was pushed back into going back to school.

Let me tell you why I am enrolled in school.

I started my online journey about 3 years ago. Everything that I have learned online is self taught and needless to say that I was focused 100% on Google. So when Google pushed out their changes the last couple times, I lost a lot of my income.

Thank goodness I didn't lose it all. So with my income declining and me trying to find my way to success (like a fish in shallow water) I decided that I needed to go back to school to learn about web design.

Now my goal is not to work for anyone else when I get done with school. I haven't worked for anyone for over 5 years. Heck I left a job that was paying me $60,000 per year, I just don't think that I could find another job that would pay me that much.

I do a lot better working for myself. I am not cut out to be an employee.

So why am I writing this post? I just wanted to share where I am in life right now. At one point I felt like a failure because I had to go back to school, but now I don't. I know that I can succeed online, I finally got an online mentor this past May and I am working on my first product creation project.

With school back in session, it is a lot harder to find the time to work on my internet marketing. However, I just have to find more ways to make better use of my time.

Don't give up on your dreams. If you want something bad enough, you can make it happen. Of course it is a lot harder if you have to hold down a job or go to school (full-time) but it can be done.

Be sure to leave me some tips about how to manage my time better. I have to admit I am not good at time management and any tips you provide me, will definitely help me out.

Susan Velez, Aug 22, 2013 IP
    Wordpress Design likes this.
  2. Sphor

Sphor Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's nothing wrong with getting back into education at your age. My mother turned 50 this year and has also just started going back to college. Best of luck!

Sphor, Aug 22, 2013 IP
  3. Zaber Ansary

Zaber Ansary Member

Best Answers:
    great, keep it up. Our Religion says " start studying when you are a baby and keep it up until you are dead."

Zaber Ansary, Aug 22, 2013 IP
    urock_ltd and Wordpress Design like this.
  4. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Why would you go back to school? All it will do is it will get you further in debt. You never mentioned how much it will cost you to go through school. I am pretty sure it's not free.

Here's what I think: When things get bad financially, instead of getting yourself deeper into debt the best thing one can do is lie low and stay low for as long as one can, living one day at a time. You had a decent online business and just because of a setback you decided to abandon your dream.
    Do you think what you're doing now will re-compensate the time and income you're losing by not tending your online business?

I know, I sound like a party pooper. Trust me, I am not trying to be offensive or anything like that. I just think your post sounds like an apology for abandoning your dreams. No?

qwikad.com, Aug 22, 2013 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  5. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    While I do admire your motivation I must also state that I agree with @qwikad.com. I spent 4 years (and a good pile of money) studying at La Sorbonne in Paris. My training looked good on job resumes, but what I do for a living now has little to do with what I learned in university.
    I have learnt that the best teacher of all is work/life experience. I should have listened to my uncle and gone to work for him as soon as I graduated from highschool. I would have had 4 more years of *real* training instead of mere theory.

Spoiltdiva, Aug 22, 2013 IP
  6. Susan Velez

Susan Velez Greenhorn

Best Answers:

It is not costing me a dime to go back to school, I am a veteran and am utilizing the benefits I received while in the Military.

As for not pursuing my internet journey, I am still doing that. I am actually working on my first product creation project. I am not giving up on my dreams of being self employed. I currently make about $1500.00 per month online on a monthly basis.

I just wanted to go back to school to get some training in web design. I will never give up my goals of working online or working for myself. I have not worked for anyone for over 5 years and don't plan on working for anyone else.

qwikad.com likes this.
  7. Susan Velez

Susan Velez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Sorry it did not work out the way that you planned it. I am getting the training because I want to learn more about web design. I already designed a website for someone who was recommended to me and it paid very well.

However, it took me way too long and there were several things that I did not know.

Not giving up on my online dreams of working for myself. Just getting more training so I can then get another income stream going for me, that's all.

8. AMZIKA

AMZIKA Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great inspiration education is very important if you want to get more income just wait until you get more from your training experience. and its possible dream and you can build your online working side with your school..

AMZIKA, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  9. Susan Velez

Susan Velez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks I appreciate your support. Yeah after my training...I look at it like I will have another means to make an income. I will be able to design websites...which I have already designed one for someone and I know that it pays well.

It took me forever to design the first one though...I didn't really know what I was doing.

Hopefully I will find some good contacts at school through networking.

Susan Velez, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  10. Susan Velez

Susan Velez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks I appreciate your comment, not sure if it was the military that made me so dedicated or not. I have failed online and in several ventures I have started...always picking myself up and keeping myself pushing forward.

Right now my income comes from several different avenues, not sure if that is a good thing or not. I currently make my income from selling sites on Flippa, Squidoo (although that income is slowly declining) Adsense, Commission Junction. Clickbank.

I am creating my own product right now as I want to get into product creation. I am enrolled with a coaching program that is teaching me how to do that. It is coming along slowly but it's coming.

I feel like the product creation would be more stable than say for instance (Squidoo) and other affiliate programs I am making money with.

Hope this answers your questions, thanks again for your response.

11. Alyssa Lochmore

Alyssa Lochmore Member

Best Answers:
    If I go back to school at age 40 I might prefer to go online instead of in person. However, I think people can succeed at getting an education at any age if they want to.

Alyssa Lochmore, Aug 23, 2013 IP
  12. Susan Velez

Susan Velez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I choose whatever is selling. I have set up several niche sites in the past on Clickbank that still sell even though I don't touch them. As for which products, there are several that I sell; you just have to make sure that people are looking for it.

As for CJ I sell mostly Hostgator affiliate commissions.

13. Susan Velez

Susan Velez Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have tried online, in my opinion those classes are harder. When it comes to learning for school...I do better in a classroom environment. Although I am taking one online course.

14. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Congratulations and good luck to you! I think you're making great choices.

Rebecca, Aug 24, 2013 IP