1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

MajesticSEO vs AHREFS vs Open Site Explorer vs SEOSpyglass

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by r0nzz, Aug 19, 2013.

Hi All,

I am about to choose two of the above services and purchase subscriptions to use for link building on my sites and was hoping to call upon the experience of the DP members for some advice on a couple of things.

I understand that all of the above services get their links from their own databases, so the links are different and no one service has all the links. I'm also not going to ask which one has the most links because all four services claim to, and from what I have seen it varies from domain to domain.

What I want to know is:
    What are some of the features or aspects (good or bad) that separate these services?
    If you are using one of these services - why did you choose it?

Thanks a million!

r0nzz, Aug 19, 2013 IP
    Graphicsfx and Cucumba123 like this.
  2. Graphicsfx

Graphicsfx Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's a good question. Choosing an SEO firm is one of the most important choices you'll make. Personally I went with SEOSpyglass because their tools are directly geared toward sniffing out info on a competitor's backlinks.

I haven't tried the other three but I've heard good things about Majestic and of course OpenSiteExplorer is a mainstay. At the end of the day it might just depend on personal preference. They probably all do the same thing to some extent.

Welcome to the forum and koodos for asking the right questions.

Graphicsfx, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  3. Helge Sverre

Helge Sverre Prominent Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Helge Sverre, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  4. Kianu42

Kianu42 Member

Best Answers:
    I am a seo spyglass user and what I especially like about this very backlink checker is the in-depth backlink analysis it provides - starting from such factors such as domain age to link value, the exact anchor text and title of each linking page.
    And about a month ago the new backlink database was launched in spyglass, and now the tool is showing even more backlinks than ahrefs does for a couple of my projects I checked using both tools.

Kianu42, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  5. evgenktulu

evgenktulu Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think that it's always better to use more than one tool (in case you can afford it, surely). Personally, I use Seo suite by Link assistant and ahrefs. So I get more or less what I need

evgenktulu, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  6. seotube

seotube Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I personally would choose majesticseo as I think it's better but it's just my personal opinion

seotube, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  7. ZombieNation

ZombieNation Member

Best Answers:
    I use the free version of majesticseo, but next month I'll be getting SpyGlass because I've heard good things about it from people who's opinion I trust.

ZombieNation, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  8. r0nzz

r0nzz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys

I'm currently using free majestic seo and I like the flow and trust values - does seo spyglass have anything similar?

r0nzz, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  9. admonster08

admonster08 Member

Best Answers:
    I found this problematic as well! With Moz it takes time to index. After 2 months I cant see anything in opensiteexplorer while Majestic seo and even webmaster tools show me links and back links created.

admonster08, Aug 20, 2013 IP
  10. r0nzz

r0nzz Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks everyone - One of the things I use these for at the moment is to look up the back-link profile of expired domains. At the moment I check in Majestic SEO first, looking at the Citation Flow and Trust Flow. I then look at the AHREFS URL Rank and then the Domain and Page authorities in Moz Open Site Explorer. SEO Spyglass takes too long to get this type of data if I want to check a lot of domains in a row. Once I find domains worth looking in to, I drill down in to the actual link profiles using Majestic and Ahrefs. I have found Open Site Explorer to not have many links when it comes to expired domains.

r0nzz, Aug 21, 2013 IP
    Nitin.Mail likes this.
  11. vandanads2012

vandanads2012 Peon

Best Answers:
    Majestic seo is best seo tools for off page activity tool.

vandanads2012, Aug 21, 2013 IP
  12. jackkarter

jackkarter Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've used all of them. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for a really detailed analysis, the SEO Spyglass wins hands down. If you are looking for a really basic list of the backlinks with just the trust and citation factors then you could use any of the others. Matthews guide while good was a bit flawed because he was basing his results on the number of backlinks found and not the quality of them. So he had SEO spyglass last every time. Personally, I have no interest in competitors links if they have a 0 trust and citation rating. I use Ahrefs and Majestic for a quick overall picture and then SEO spyglass for an in depth study because it takes a little longer to give the results.

jackkarter, Aug 21, 2013 IP
  13. Derek Land

Derek Land Active Member

Best Answers:
    I use Majestic. It's never failed me, although I do double check some thing elsewhere when I'm really digging.

Derek Land, Mar 4, 2014 IP
  14. Allenaabas

Allenaabas Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have used ahrefs pretty no of times and that was good. However in this forum I have seen no of expert using spyglass so i am just on there website downloading the tool. Will get back to you after my experience on it!

Allenaabas, Mar 4, 2014 IP