1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does this site really giving warning points for thanking people that resolved a question?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by cburton81, Aug 19, 2013.

I check my account today to see that I have a warning point for posting a thank you to everyone that helped me answer a question I posted. I can understand if I was just going around posting thank yous on other peoples posts to up my post count but this is obviously not what I did. I asked a question and a few people tried to answer it and finally someone gave me the answer I was looking for so I gave him the "best answer" credit and then I posted a final post thanking everyone for the help.

Maybe I'm wrong but this seems a little extreme to me. There needs to be better judgment used when deciding what's abusive behavior on the site.

Solved! View solution.
    cburton81, Aug 19, 2013 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you read the forum rules that you agreed that you had read and agreed to adhere to when you joined, then you would know that you do get an infraction for useless thank you posts. Posts like that are useless and contribute nothing of value to the community. if you want to thank someone, then send them a PM

Agent000, Aug 19, 2013 IP
  3. cburton81

cburton81 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Its only a useless if the post is meant solely to increase post count and not really relevant which is pretty obvious when someone is doing that. Otherwise its pretty stupid to warn someone for thanking everyone that helped on their thread.

4. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Saying 'thank you' is a useless post. It has been like that here for a long time and is clearly spelt out in the rules.

5. cburton81

cburton81 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Its not when its in my own thread to a group of people that just helped me. I am apart of many other forums and this is a first in 10yrs to have a pointless enforcement. Only when it is clearly abuse or a false way to increase a post count does it make sense. I'll have to remember for this forum which will be easy since its the only one.

jvm222 likes this.
  6. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Each forum has its rules.
    Thank you posts that contribute no value to discussions on any of my forums are deleted and posters infracted, so there are plenty of forums that do this.

It has nothing to do with abuse; its all about not polluting the forum with crap useless posts. Other forums may allow that. Plenty of forums do not allow it.

I clearly understand what it feels when we get a warning just by saying "thanks for helping me".
    In digital Point, there is no problem for saying thanks to anyone whom helping us. In fact, we were taught to respect and appreciate any help. However, there are several things which we should understand.
    I wish you read few reasons below which will answer your question why saying "thanks" is not allowed.
    1. Digital Point always recommend anyone to appreciate and thank other whom decide to help us solve the problem.
      Reference:
      Self Experience.
    2. Saying "thanks" is not prohibited. However, we should understand how to use it.
      How to say 'thanks'?.
      Based on the rules, it basically said "Saying thanks in thread is prohibited because thank add no value to the thread. Use PM (Private Message/Conversation) to Thank other"
      We can only say "thanks" through PM.
      Reference:
      Looks below (point three).
    3. Why only through PM?
      Here are the reasons:
      - Thread should be filled with good and useful posts. Imagine what will happen if the thread was filled with hundreds of "thanks" or "Thank You" type posts.
      The reason why we should not say thanks in thread is to make the thread 'very useful'. Please understand saying 'thanks' is not prohibited in this forum. It just prohibited to say 'thanks' in thread. This is to make the thread useful and helpful for all people.
      - 'Thanks type post' is only useful for both OP and other people. The thread should be useful to all peoples. This is why thanking other in thread is not allowed.
      - Sending 'thanks' through PM is recommended because it will make us get many friends in this forum.
      Based on my own experience, I met lots of great people in this forum through conversation. Try it and you will find it is good idea to say thanks through PM.
      Reference:
    To summarize everything:
    1. Writing post just to say thanks will make thread 'less useful'.
    2. The decision to not allow 'thanks' in thread is basically to help public get the content easier without scrolling or open so many pages.
    3. 'Thanks' should be sent through PM. By sending thank through OM there is good chance we could get so many friends.
    Here are few solutions to overcome the problem:
    1. Digital point classified 'thank' type post as 'less useful post'. We just need to write good post and say thank at the same time.
      Example:
      "Thanks for helping me. I didn't realize if WordPress is a good secure CMS that is preferred by so many people worldwide. I'm glad you come to this forum and show us how to create good site with WordPress. I have checked WordPress official site and it seems you were correct. WordPress is secure CMS that is updated regularly. It seems WordPress is good choice for teacher just like me".
      They key is simple "Make useful post while saying 'thanks'"
      I recommend this method because it is applicable to all member. :)
    2. To thank other, we don't need to say 'thanks'. We just need to use 'LIKE' button (only visible to established member).
      The LIKE button was created for this purpose.
      A solution which is recommended to 'established member'. I prefer the first solution above. :)
    Suggestion:
    1. I do get a warning for 'running up post count'.
      Try to smile whenever we got warning. The warning was given to teach us to be great member. This forum always respect their member. The warning was given to make this forum as great place for anyone (and not just for us).
      I don't like to get warning too. I'm glad I only get two (both of them already expired). Don't worry too much about warning.
      By the way, if we get ten warning, we would be banned. Five concurrent warning point will result in 'temporary ban'.
      Warning is just warning. The important thing is "Avoid to get another warning".
    2. I clearly understand you were not angry because of the warning. You were angry because doing good thing (like as 'saying thanks') should not being awarded with a warning. I was thinking the same thing. However I realize if the rule which not allow us to 'say thank' is created with a good purpose, To keep the thread as helpful as possible.
    I wish you don't mind about the warning. I always smile when I remember my mistake for writing 'less useful post' in old thread. I'm glad to get warning because it teach me good habit: "To always write good post as good as possible". By writing good and useful post, we will get so many benefits:
    1. Other people would find our posts as useful reference.
    2. We will start thinking if quality is better than quantity. It will bring positive effect for us. For blogger, it will improve the quality of their blogs because they only wish to write useful articles for the visitors. DP basically teach good habit for us, Am I right? No? :)

Arick unirow, Aug 20, 2013 IP
    Rebecca likes this.